Windsor Hills?

ncstate7991

Original Poster
We are considering staying at Windsor Hills (just south of Animal Kingdom). Wondering if any of you have stayed there or know about the area? Also we are probably going to rent from http://www.floridasunvacationhomes.com, any information or feedback is really appreciated!

As a side note, I know about the Disney promotions. I have done the math and with the specials a two bedroom condo is offering we are coming out way cheaper by going this route (Note: We are sharing with another couple).

mjillard

I rented a townhouse in lovely Windsor Hills christmas week 08 and absolutely loved it! We loved it so much we spent more time there than the parks. I booked directly thru the property owner so I have not dealt with the company u mentioned but I am pretty sure I read posts about them over on disboards so u may want to check out some comments before u book. I used homeaway.com and it was really easy to find a great rental for a great price in WH. Have a great trip!

mjillard

I forgot to mention one option that I did not know about when I booked. U may want to join Windsor hills club. They email u specials offered by a group of WH condo owners, some as low as $299. Good luck!

NewDisneyMeg

Windsor Palms

We stayed in the same area at Windsor Palms the second week of December 2009. We rented a townhome and loved it! The kids had their own room, their own t.v., a heated splash pool (they would have stayed in the pool all day if we had let them) and plenty of room to spread out. It was a quick and easy drive to the Disney maingate. Animal Kingdom and Epcot it only took us about 20 minutes from our townhouse to the turnstiles. There was a grocery store and centra care clinic (which we needed) just a couple of minutes away. We used All Star Vacation Homes to rent and were very satisfied.

We stayed in Windsor Hills this past trip for 4 days and loved it. It was very close, like maybe 5 minutes to the back entrance of Disney. It is right off of 192 so anything you could want food wise is right there. The grounds were very well kept and it had a very safe feeling.

biggecorn

oh....wow:snore: what a way to generatic the windsor hills:), just like heaven specially for the childrens .the privacy and comfort of all guests staying in the Windsor Hills Resort, a guest card is required to access the clubhouse facilities. This card can be obtained by visiting the Windsor Hills office in the clubhouse. Guests are required to fill out an information sheet and submit a $10 refundable deposit.

MousDad

I've stayed at Windsor Hills. If you want to stay in something bigger than a motel room, like me don't have much interest in Disney transportation or EMH, and you don't have $600 + a night for a Disney suite, or $200+ a night for an off property suite, it's a no-brainer.

We've stayed in a 2BR in June for less than $100 a night.

It's 10 minutes to MK, and 5 minutes to all the other parks.

What you don't get is frills, service or luxury. But it's not going to be trashy by any stretch. Some people are uncomfortable dealing directly with owners rather than established companies.

For me, it's the perfect respite from the parks. Everyone gets their own bedroom, kitchen, washer/dryer.

If I'm going for a quick weekend trip, I'll stay on property. If I'm going for a week or more, Windsor Hills is one of my first choices.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
We've stayed in 3 or 4 different condos there (sorry, never a townhome), and enjoyed every one. Windsor Hills is gated, private, quiet (I've never heard any raucous parties going on), and is very close to the WDW "Gate." And as someone before mentioned, the rates you can get for one of the condos absolutely beats even a value resort for a week's stay....

Dubman

We're staying there on our trip next month with a group of 10 people.. We rented a 5 bedroom house and can't wait! Reading these posts has gotten us even more excited about our trip.. Their water slide and main pool look awesome.. Also, the house we rented has its own hot tub, and heated pool.. We rented direct from the owner as well. Very smooth so far! I agree with the poster above, for a long weekend staying on property is a must for us, but for a week or more, house rentals are the way to go. It will be our first time staying in this particular area, but have rented private homes many times in the past..

gumchwin

OH........don't worry You easily can find vacation homes for rental on wannavilla.com. and book direct with the owner. Site has good search facilities such as bedrooms and communities including Windsor Hills.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
vrbo.com (vacation rentals by owner) is another good site to use. They list both condos and single-family homes, in Windsor Hills and the area all around WDW.....

togathompson

Windsor Hills VS Staying On Property

Stayed at Windsor Hills Community in the spring of 2008 and really loved the experience and property. Great condo, great pool and great location. Parents rented there for 2 months and we both just loved the experience. For the past 30 years (20 plus trips) we have always stayed on property and actually felt guilty for staying "Off" property for the first time. What i love about staying on property was not altogether lost because of the close location to the parks and community pool. For us it was Actually quicker to get out of a park back to our condo than most bus-to-resort trips. I also love the fact of the 3 bedrooms 2 baths, family room & kitchen and the privacy you get with kids and inlaws/parents (I know DVC owners have a similar experience). It certainly was a different experience staying off property, but surprisingly still equally enjoyable for different reasons that I found to be refreshing and a fun adventure.

What I actually liked the most which we didnt anticipate was getting away from the crowds both at the parks and at the resorts. Something about staying on property which i never relaized was that i always feel like i was missing something fun by not being in the parks. I am always in go mode, even when sitting by the pool. Being off property I was more relaxed and didnt always feel like I should to be somewhere and being able to have the option to grab a meal at the condo made it a bit more like home...if that makes sense? Although one of the best parts of vacationing is eating out, this gives you a great option and as the week went on the more we just wanted to have meals at the condo before we went back to the parks.

We kept the same schedule of parks in the am, pool afternoon and another park at night. Didnt feel like we were inconvienenced at all with the extra back and forth in a car, not much of a difference except for the parking, which wasnt that bad. We even took a cab one night becasue we knew that we would be having plenty of drinks around the worldshowcase. $8 cab and well worth it...just went through the back of Epcot through the Boardwalk. So easy...

Another thing new for me, I never rented a car before on trips with the entire family and have always used the wdw transportation. After this trip i actually started renting a car (just to have the option) because of the access and honestly realized that the buses, although easy to use sometimes not always relaxing with 4 kids especially when its packed. I really enjoyed getting in our car and having our own space to unwind. Plus not be judged if a kid has a melt down and you need to do the smack down! :) or even worse a parents who say nothing to kids when they are being disruptive, even if its not one of yours soemhow still stressful? I finally realized that access to a mini van and that 10-15 minutes of space and calm down time is well worth the cost and option.

Like most of all of us on these forums, I assume we are all the go to people for friends, families and coworkers as they plan their WDW trips. I have always recommended staying on property, but after this experience I have recommended renting a house or condo as an option depending upon their needs/ budgets, level of experience and expectations.

But with this all said... staying at the Carribean Beach for ESPN The Weekend next Thursday-Sun with my oldest son and a few other of our father-son friends. We will bus it this time as i am sure we will be the loud unruly ones! :lol:

We are considering staying at Windsor Hills (just south of Animal Kingdom). Wondering if any of you have stayed there or know about the area? Also we are probably going to rent from http://www.floridasunvacationhomes.com, any information or feedback is really appreciated!

As a side note, I know about the Disney promotions. I have done the math and with the specials a two bedroom condo is offering we are coming out way cheaper by going this route (Note: We are sharing with another couple).

Hey Neighbor! (Greenville)

I bought a timeshare off of eBay about 6 minutes from the gates for $100, and just pay about $700 per year maint. fee. (7 days) (3 bedroom 2bath condo, pool etc) I love staying on site for many reasons, but with a large group this was the best route. This option may be too permanent for you, just tossing it out there!

Have a great trip!

ncstate7991

Original Poster
We really had a good time and the condo at Windsor Hill worked out very nicely. I do recommend it for most people. Having a fully kitchen and a crib in the walk-in closet was very nice! Our little one loved knocking on the closet door and she called it "my room". Also the light switches were very low, I guess so it is handicap accessible. The little one loved this as well! The grounds were very well maintained and we never had a noise issue. Many restaurants and grocery/Target nearby and easily accessible. We saved a lot of money on food by stocking up early at Target. It is kind of hard to buy for a week, so we did find ourself going back to the store through the week. You can save a lot of money by staying off property, but the price of parking does add up (~$100/wk). Remember your parking ticket is good ALL day for any park.

Here are the slight negatives:
Because our child is very young we did spend a good amount of time at MK, which until this trip I did not realize how much of a pain in the butt it is to get there. You drive the 10 minutes, pay for parking, park, get on the tram, wait for the monorail (or boat), go through security, scan ticket/thumb, and then you are in. When you go back for an afternoon nap and have to go through this process 2 times (plus getting back to the car 2 times) it makes MK days kind of long. After realizing this we started doing another park in the AM and MK in the PM. All other parks are much easier to get in and out of. We did spend more time in transit, but we did relax a little more, and we did spend less money on food.

As always everything has positives and negatives. It is something we will probably do again, unless we get suckered into DVC or a timeshare.

Duke of Disney, we are thinking about the timeshare thing or DVC. Where is your timeshare? What is the name of the property? Give me some details.

Nubiwan

I stayed at Windsor Hills with teh wife and our 4 kids in May 2010. You can rent a 2-3 bedroom condo for $300-400 a week. They also have 3 bed townehomes with small spalsh pools (pretty small) and larger 4-6 bed pool houses.

I opted to splurge on a 4 bedroom house for 4 nights and got a rate of $600 ll in, which uited me. House was great. Games room, nice pool, 4 beds, 4 baths. The community pool is cool too. Check teh images on any Windsor Hills Resort google search. Kids would have stayed in the home or community pool all day if we never had Disney tickets.

Another big plus was that it is only about 5-10 minutes drive from Disney entrance on 192. Never had any traffic or Highway issues once you knew where to go.

I've booked another 4 nights this May and got a rate of $650 all in for a 4 bedroom. Good luck.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom