• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

Will Trump be reelected?

Will Trump be reelected?

• Yes

Votes: 55 51.9%
  • No

Votes: 51 48.1%

• Total voters

mkt

I Demand a Snackrifice
Premium Member
I think he's gonna win, not because he's good - he's terrible and I despise him and his administration - but because the dems have yet to accept that Americans were frustrated with how things were in Washington, and their insistence on sticking to party loyalty and party orthodoxy.

aw14

Advertisement
I would agree. I am not a big fan...but the Dems pushing too far left and playing the "sky is falling" routine, isn't winning anyone back.

mkt

I Demand a Snackrifice
Premium Member
I would agree. I am not a big fan...but the Dems pushing too far left and playing the "sky is falling" routine, isn't winning anyone back.
I disagree on the "too far left", because a candidate that pushed the republicans further to the right and into isolationism won.

Further left with the same America-first mentality (but who considers consequences) and away from neoliberalism would destroy Trump. Unfortunately, the dems seem to be ok with things as they were before Trump and see no reason to change to battle him.

aw14

I disagree on the "too far left", because a candidate that pushed the republicans further to the right and into isolationism won.

Further left with the same America-first mentality (but who considers consequences) and away from neoliberalism would destroy Trump. Unfortunately, the dems seem to be ok with things as they were before Trump and see no reason to change to battle him.
I couldn’t disagree more. Using far left as my ideal, I’m speaking of an American version. There is no way that a Bernie Sanders type will win in a general election.

mkt

I Demand a Snackrifice
Premium Member
I couldn’t disagree more. Using far left as my ideal, I’m speaking of an American version. There is no way that a Bernie Sanders type will win in a general election.
The thing is, Bernie isn't far left - he's just left. He's European Social Democrat left.

Far left is Chavez, Maduro. Bernie's nowhere near that far gone.

AEfx

Unfortunately, the dems seem to be ok with things as they were before Trump and see no reason to change to battle him.
Yes, and no. The democratic party has certainly changed in the past few years - it is why I had no choice but to #walkaway a couple of years ago myself and am now independent. The decent into pandering and identity politics (which as a gay man I witnessed first hand for years being used politically) has completely skewed the priorities of improving the lives of all Americans (and in fact seem most concerned about non-citizens above everyone else).

That leads into where I agree with your point - and it is one that actually scares me the most - is where people seem entirely focused on Trump Trump Trump...that they don't realize how bad things already were in the world, that they are so focused on one person like suddenly he came and crapped on some happy parade we were all living. They don't understand that Trump was elected because there were already so many problems and the status quo needed to be shattered.

In regards to the OP - yes, I think that if things continue he will be reelected. Mostly because the democratic party has no viable alternative and they will never agree upon one. We saw a preview of this during the last election. And that was two years ago. Things have gotten so much more inflamed since then when it comes to identity politics that the democratic party has fractured itself so deeply that I don't see how they will ever unify behind a single candidate enough to get them elected.

mkt

I Demand a Snackrifice
Premium Member
Yes, and no. The democratic party has certainly changed in the past few years - it is why I had no choice but to #walkaway a couple of years ago myself and am now independent.
I literally rejoined the party for the upcoming primaries this week, but the second I leave the polling station, it's 5 minutes to update to NPA (no party affiliation) online.

The Mom

Premium Member
Each party sub group has a litmus test that must be passed to get the nomination. And if a candidate cannot check "yes" to each and every question, s/he is rejected by those groups. Either party feels that they need the support and votes of all all of those groups to win the election, so they try to find the "perfect" candidate who can be everything to everyone - and s/he doesn't exist!!! So a good, qualifed candidate who may not agree 100% is passed over. Instead we get less qualified candidates who lie just to get the nomination.

Jimmy Thick

Original Poster
Each party sub group has a litmus test that must be passed to get the nomination. And if a candidate cannot check "yes" to each and every question, s/he is rejected by those groups. Either party feels that they need the support and votes of all all of those groups to win the election, so they try to find the "perfect" candidate who can be everything to everyone - and s/he doesn't exist!!! So a good, qualifed candidate who may not agree 100% is passed over. Instead we get less qualified candidates who lie just to get the nomination.
I've always personally found it humorous how the Democrats/Republicans will go out of their way to humiliate, lets be honest here, their fellow party members to win their prospective nomination. All the time they spend to point out flaws and issues could better be spent crystalizing their groups resolve to have one person with the best qualities lead. But everyone wants that power, everyone wants that fame, for lack of a better word, so much so look who wins?

Maybe I'm simplifing it with romantic notion and or ignorance but we all lose in this scenario, we know too much.

AEfx

Exactly.

That is a better way to describe what I was getting at above - that litmus test on the democratic side has changed so dramatically in the past several years, that I honestly don't see how they are going to find a candidate to get behind. If we think Hillary vs. Bernie was an anomaly, and not a preview, I think we would be fooling ourselves.

The real catch is - not only does that ideological litmus test you are describing still exist that we saw in 2016, now there is a new one based on personal identity. So a candidate can't just say what they think people want to hear, they also have the new demand which, ironically, dictates they represent a minority before they can represent the majority. We can just look at the DNC Chair race to see how that is going to look in 2020.

aw14

You may want to look at the findings of other polls before drawing any conclusions from a single outlier: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-americans-dont-support-trump-not-even-close/

ETA: This doesn’t mean that I think Trump won’t be reelected. Alas, I believe he will.
I think his re-election or 2020 loss will come down to simply the economy. If people feel they are better off economically in 2020 than 2016, then he wins. I also believe the contrary to be true, which would cause a loss with the right democratic candidate.

LittleBuford

I think his re-election or 2020 loss will come down to simply the economy. If people feel they are better off economically in 2020 than 2016, then he wins. I also believe the contrary to be true, which would cause a loss with the right democratic candidate.
I largely agree with you, though I must say that I’m beginning to think that Trump can survive just about anything, including an economic downturn.

SorcererMC

though I must say that I’m beginning to think that Trump can survive just about anything, including an economic downturn.
I beg to differ. Trump is no Teflon Don. I'd say that yesterday is the opening salvo of the rule of law.
Trump likes to call it "Justice", but my hunch is he is about to find out the hard way what that word really means.

Top Bottom