Will there be more all-inclusive, roleplaying resorts like Galactic Starcruiser?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I feel like universal could argue if they wanted to but if Disney defines it as a “cruise” or “quinjet” or “helicarrier” / resort experience, idk what they could do about it
Go to arbitration as the contract stipulates. And if the arbitration goes against Disney and Disney doesn't comply, then go to court. Disney doesn't have carte blanche to ignore contracts.

Disstevefan1

The jury is still out on the Starcruiser's longevity as we are in the too early to tell phase, but with early reviews indicating it being exciting yet overpriced, does Disney intend for the concept of a 'stationary cruise' to be replicated?
Too early to tell I say. For Disney, these things can’t just make money, they have to make enough (as determined by the bean counters) in order to decide to do this more.

Disney is loving screens in attractions now, they prefer screens over animatronics or human cast members. Both animatronics and humans are high maintenance…

Vacationeer

In the Parks
No
I absolutely love the Haunted Mansion idea. Could make it sort of like the old Quantum Leap show. What is this ghost trying to tell us? Trying to correct a wrong or misunderstanding, or redirect the future supports endless mystery storylines. The personality of each individual ghost makes these experiences exponential. And plenty of potential for immersive theming, food, history, merch, etc.

Dutch Inn '76

Haunted Mansion was the "gimme" idea from the start. I think that it would attract more interest than Star Wars. Why there isn't at least a HM themed restaurant, I have no idea.

Vacationeer

In the Parks
No
Haunted Mansion was the "gimme" idea from the start. I think that it would attract more interest than Star Wars. Why there isn't at least a HM themed restaurant, I have no idea.
If they made the Presidential Suites at Boardwalk with subtle flavor of Haunted Mansion people would go wild and enough would pay the hefty price.

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
Toy Story could be cool with oversized everything and you’d still be sent on missions to keep you busy.

I love the haunted mansion idea a lot.

yensidtlaw1969

The problem with doing this sort of thing with The Haunted Mansion is that the Mansion is a sole and exact location. You're kind of landlocked there, literally and somewhat creatively.

If you're building a Haunted Mansion Restaurant in the park, it either has to look like you're going into the Mansion that already exists, or you've got to pull a Memento Mori and create a Mansion-adjacent location that can serve a similar spooky function. But if you go too far you're no longer dealing with the Haunted Mansion, you're dealing with, like, a Ghost Town, since so many different places are now "haunted", which takes a little bit away from the Mansion being the place to go for creepy creeps. But it wouldn't make sense to say "you're having dinner in The Haunted Mansion!" if the restaurant isn't located somewhere that could plausibly be part of the house. You couldn't take over Liberty Tree and say you're having dinner in the Mansion, you know?

Then when it comes to a Haunted Mansion Hotel, what would the situation there be? Would they build a second Haunted Mansion somewhere on property outside of the Magic Kingdom that guests can stay in? That doesn't seem like the kind of redundancy Disney is willing to go for. Is it a new, separate building that also happens to be haunted by many of the Ghosts in the Mansion? I suppose you could stretch that far, but it's sort of at odds with the idea that the Mansion is the final resting place for all of these ghosts (aside from the ones who follow you home). I still sort of wonder how they were planning to make sense of those proposed Haunted Mansion Rooms at Port Orleans, but maybe that's why they never happened. Or maybe they're just not as concerned about this stuff as I'm thinking they should be.

I feel like it almost might be more likely that they'd do a new-concept Spooky Boutique Overnight Experience that is merely Haunted Mansion-like rather than based on the Mansion specifically. Similar to the way the Tower of Terror shares some spooky DNA with The Haunted Mansion but isn't directly connected to it story-wise. Creating an original idea around a place you can stay where things go bump in the night would let them circumvent all the corners using the Mansion itself would back them into, while still giving people who love that sort of thing a comparable experience.

I do sort of imagine sometimes that if Disney were to build a new resort from the ground up you'd be much more likely to see a new Haunted Mansion that builds a restaurant "inside" from day one, or a Tower of Terror with a Boutique Hotel element inside, which was pitched for the MGM original but ultimately scrapped. Clearly they have some desire to get into this sort of thing, but it's much easier to make work when you've factored it in from day one. I don't really expect any of that to happen any time soon, but it's fun to think about.

Anteater

The problem with doing this sort of thing with The Haunted Mansion is that the Mansion is a sole and exact location. You're kind of landlocked there, literally and somewhat creatively.

If you're building a Haunted Mansion Restaurant in the park, it either has to look like you're going into the Mansion that already exists, or you've got to pull a Memento Mori and create a Mansion-adjacent location that can serve a similar spooky function. But if you go too far you're no longer dealing with the Haunted Mansion, you're dealing with, like, a Ghost Town, since so many different places are now "haunted", which takes a little bit away from the Mansion being the place to go for creepy creeps. But it wouldn't make sense to say "you're having dinner in The Haunted Mansion!" if the restaurant isn't located somewhere that could plausibly be part of the house. You couldn't take over Liberty Tree and say you're having dinner in the Mansion, you know?

Then when it comes to a Haunted Mansion Hotel, what would the situation there be? Would they build a second Haunted Mansion somewhere on property outside of the Magic Kingdom that guests can stay in? That doesn't seem like the kind of redundancy Disney is willing to go for. Is it a new, separate building that also happens to be haunted by many of the Ghosts in the Mansion? I suppose you could stretch that far, but it's sort of at odds with the idea that the Mansion is the final resting place for all of these ghosts (aside from the ones who follow you home). I still sort of wonder how they were planning to make sense of those proposed Haunted Mansion Rooms at Port Orleans, but maybe that's why they never happened. Or maybe they're just not as concerned about this stuff as I'm thinking they should be.

I feel like it almost might be more likely that they'd do a new-concept Spooky Boutique Overnight Experience that is merely Haunted Mansion-like rather than based on the Mansion specifically. Similar to the way the Tower of Terror shares some spooky DNA with The Haunted Mansion but isn't directly connected to it story-wise. Creating an original idea around a place you can stay where things go bump in the night would let them circumvent all the corners using the Mansion itself would back them into, while still giving people who love that sort of thing a comparable experience.

I do sort of imagine sometimes that if Disney were to build a new resort from the ground up you'd be much more likely to see a new Haunted Mansion that builds a restaurant "inside" from day one, or a Tower of Terror with a Boutique Hotel element inside, which was pitched for the MGM original but ultimately scrapped. Clearly they have some desire to get into this sort of thing, but it's much easier to make work when you've factored it in from day one. I don't really expect any of that to happen any time soon, but it's fun to think about.
How about a Haunted GhostCruiser? It would be a revolutionary new 2-night experience where you are the Ghost Host. You and your group will embark on a first-of-its-kind haunted adventure that’s your own. It’s the most immersive ghost story ever created—one where you live a bespoke experience and journey further into a haunted adventure than you ever dreamed possible. During your adventure, jump in the hearse where your adventure continues at The Haunted Mansion!

(OK. that should help get TDO started with marketing of this...)

Dutch Inn '76

Of course you're right (don't take this the wrong way. No offense to you.) The Mouse would absolutely overthink it like this; the same way they overthought the new Star Wars additions to their parks. All we wanted was to walk the corridors of the Death Star; to have a drink at *the* Mos Eisley Cantina... but no, we got some place that I still don't know where it is.

A HM Hotel could be anywhere on property. A HM restaurant could be anywhere on property. A ToT Hotel is simple. Why not build it adjacent to HS? Of course not! That would be too easy... or maybe there's no characters to tie in... That's the most likely reason, I guess...

I'm not a fan of Universal's theme parks, but the one thing they get right is Harry Potter fan service. They know what we want, and they deliver it.

Anteater

I'm not a fan of Universal's theme parks, but the one thing they get right is Harry Potter fan service. They know what we want, and they deliver it.
Indeed! I love the rumors of their plans for escape rooms. Hope they knock that out of the park. Glad to see more emphasis on experiences and less on roller coasters (there is a place for them; just would like to have more than that to do).

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Escape rooms, compared to rides or shows, have a ridiculously small capacity. It is highly unlikely there will be one in any theme park ever unless it's an upcharge.

Could possibly be in the current or new 'downtown' district that is park-adjacent. But still, an upcharge.

Anteater

Escape rooms, compared to rides or shows, have a ridiculously small capacity. It is highly unlikely there will be one in any theme park ever unless it's an upcharge.

Could possibly be in the current or new 'downtown' district that is park-adjacent. But still, an upcharge.
I didn't think they'd be in the parks. The permit was filed for them to be installed at CityWalk. Construction has started. Looking at experiences like this rather than the unaffordable (IMO) Starcruiser as @Dutch Inn '76 points out above.

For the parks, Disney could do more walkthroughs like they've done at Tokyo DisneySea. Lots of areas to explore: HM, SM (doesn't have to be SW themed), Mary Poppins (too bad they haven't done that at epcot), Moana, etc. These would be immersive with character encounters but not over-the-top.

WDWFREAK53

Would it be an upcharge to have DH in a separate house so we don’t hear snoring lol
Ha!

You arrive by train or travel by "flue."
At arrival your party gets put into a house by the sorting hat.
You can attend different classrooms.
Learn how to fly on a broom.
Take in a Quidditch Match where you cheer on your house team!
Take an excursion trip to Diagon Alley (Those in Slytherin may take a wander down Knockturn)...
Eat in the great dining hall...

Just build it already!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom