Will the explosion in 3D tech for home TV's negatively impact 3D at the parks?

Buried20KLeague

Original Poster
I was reading this morning about all the different manufacturers that are releasing 3D technology TV's into the market within the next month or two, and how experts are predicting all TV's sold in 5 years will be 3D (without the need for glasses!!), and it got me thinking...

The 3D shows in the parks right now still really have that "wow" factor for a lot of people when they see them, because they're not familiar with the newest 3D tech.

Will all the 3D shows lose thier appeal and novelty when everyone in the park has the ability to watch the exact same thing in their living room?

I tend to think it might effect them... And if that's the case, what happens?

imagineer boy

Well, the WDW shows still have the appeal of the 4-D effects like water, smells, wind, etc. But I definately think it will slow down the addition of more 3-D shows in the future.

njDizFan

Absolutely it will. Within the year ESPN will have it's own 3D channel as well as an all 3D network available through all major markets. South Korea already has a channel for 3D only broadcasts. BluRay will also put out a 3D DVD player within months. Everything will be 3D by default within a few years. Does not bode well for Hista, Philharmagic, etc...

cblodg

I have to say, I'm not thrilled with all this "in-hom 3D" technology stuff. I thought it was a little much with some of the films and this is just too much for me.

I doubt it will affect the parks.

Buried20KLeague

Original Poster
Absolutely it will. Within the year ESPN will have it's own 3D channel as well as an all 3D network available through all major markets. South Korea already has a channel for 3D only broadcasts. BluRay will also put out a 3D DVD player within months. Everything will be 3D by default within a few years. Does not bode well for Hista, Philharmagic, etc...

That's what I think, too... And unfortunately I think they won't do anything to change the shows.

I think TtBaB will have "staying power"... The 3D isn't the sole focus of the "wow" factor of the show.

CDavid

The in-park 3-D presentations will still offer large screen theaters with the "4-D" effects, which will hardly provide the same experience you get in 3-D at home.

It should be noted that people have had big screen TV's, game consoles, and and home theater systems in their living rooms for years, but this in no way diminishes the theme-park attraction experience of conventional or "standard definition" movies and video. From the finale of The Great Movie Ride to the barn scenes in The Land to Impressions de France, no one questions the effective use (in the proper context, of course, there's a certian flash-video thing in Spacehsip Earth...) of regular movies and video for park attractions. Aside from the novelty factor, why should 3-D be any different?

devoy1701

The only issue is you need a 3D television to be able to watch those 3D broadcasts. And there's something about a 40 or 50" 3D screen that isn't as appealing as a wall size screen...

Just my opinion, but I won't be buying a 3D TV...i'll wait for holodecks to become the novelty....

Yensid40

The in-park 3-D presentations will still offer large screen theaters with the "4-D" effects, which will hardly provide the same experience you get in 3-D at home.

It should be noted that people have had big screen TV's, game consoles, and and home theater systems in their living rooms for years, but this in no way diminishes the theme-park attraction experience of conventional or "standard definition" movies and video. From the finale of The Great Movie Ride to the barn scenes in The Land to Impressions de France, no one questions the effective use (in the proper context, of course, there's a certian flash-video thing in Spacehsip Earth...) of regular movies and video for park attractions. Aside from the novelty factor, why should 3-D be any different?

Those movies are more an element of a larger attraction. HISTA is the attraction.

Erika

I have to say, I'm not thrilled with all this "in-hom 3D" technology stuff. I thought it was a little much with some of the films and this is just too much for me.

I doubt it will affect the parks.

I think it's a novelty that will get old and wear off.

I'm probably wrong :lol:

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
I'm probably wrong :lol:

Dont worry theres a biological reason for that.
male31-male-smiley-whistle-smiley-emoticon-000073-medium.gif

IWant2GoNow

The newer 3D technology only really involves depth. Most of WDW's 3D attractions actually feel like the movie is coming out at you. I think it's a completely different effect. With these newer 3D movies I've never seen anyone reach out for stuff the way I do in Muppet-Vision or MP.

Buried20KLeague

Original Poster
The newer 3D technology only really involves depth. Most of WDW's 3D attractions actually feel like the movie is coming out at you. I think it's a completely different effect. With these newer 3D movies I've never seen anyone reach out for stuff the way I do in Muppet-Vision or MP.

I saw it last week in Alice. :shrug:

Avenger117

I have heard this alot recently and I don't think 3D Tvs will affect other 3D experiences. Thats like saying VHS and DVD would put movie theaters out of business. There is just more of a spectacle in the larger screens. Its a whole different experience to see something in 2D or 3D on a huge screen as opposed to a regular consumer TV. There is also the social aspect of the experience, you get to experience the attraction with tons of other people.

ABigBrassBand

I could see them doing an experience similar to Midway Mania but with a dark ride like Peter Pan, but I wouldn't want them doing that with every single ride. Not to be obnoxious with 3D, but to just add depth.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom