Will shanghai be a success?

Will Shanghai be a success?

• Total voters

Fletcher

Original Poster
https://theconversation.com/how-shanghai-disney-is-bringing-its-magic-to-the-middle-kingdom-60420

The potential of economic success for Shanghai Disney is astronomical (even with the questions raised over the Chinese economy) - huge fan base, huge potential fan base, and a consumer driven market. For me, the huge question will be whether Disney have learnt from some of the mistakes made in Paris and Hong Kong - have they got the right cultural balance? The Disney way, with Chinese flair!

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
https://theconversation.com/how-shanghai-disney-is-bringing-its-magic-to-the-middle-kingdom-60420

The potential of economic success for Shanghai Disney is astronomical (even with the questions raised over the Chinese economy) - huge fan base, huge potential fan base, and a consumer driven market. For me, the huge question will be whether Disney have learnt from some of the mistakes made in Paris and Hong Kong - have they got the right cultural balance? The Disney way, with Chinese flair!
Ongoing discussions in this forum:

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/forums/tokyo-hong-kong-and-shanghai.40/

No Name

Welcome to WDWMAGIC!

Yes, I do believe the park (and resort as a whole) will be a success.

The park has mostly avoided Paris's big problem of appearing like an invasion of American culture. And I do believe it has avoided Hong Kong's problem of being too small. Bob Iger and the company have been making both of those points clear, by touting that it's the biggest MK-style park and the most expensive ever built, and even moreso by repeating "authentically Disney and distinctly Chinese" at every opportunity.

Of course the park already has its own hurdles that it'll have to deal with. People are complaining that the food is too expensive. And according to a survey, the biggest reason people aren't buying tickets is that they fear the lines will be too long. That may be a very real problem. Also, last I checked, China's economy was down a little. And I'm sure as the park opens for real and we hear from people who've visited, we'll come across more problems.

Also, WDW has arguably been the biggest success for the company, yet it was built in the middle of nowhere. There certainly weren't over 300 million people living within a 3.5 hour train ride of the park. But did that matter? My point is, there are a lot of factors that will play into how successful this park is, and I'm no fortune teller. All I can really do is guess.

But right now, I'm optimistic.

Jaison

My true hope for this park is that it will attract many international tourists because of its unique lands/attractions that are not just carbon copies of other castle parks / IP driven; This will then make Disney realize that unique attractions are what will drive attendance.

Fletcher

Original Poster
This is such an exciting time for Disney (and other businesses watching keenly) and the potential is truly huge! I will be visiting in October after the"hype" has died down. It will be interesting

lazyboy97o

Successful for whom? What is the measure of success? Licensing deals will guarantee financial success for Disney. It's a tiny park spread thin and at great cost, that is a lot to overcome.

Fletcher

Original Poster
Well that's the great debate. Will the economy hold up (More than likely)? Will the government / authorities continue to support "western" organisations - there is a push for more patriotic services / products, for example the Wanda group. I don't doubt the financial potential - the political hurdles over the forthcoming years will be interesting however, and this is why other western stakeholders will be watching with a keen eye

Robbiemoo

I hope its successful but it appears to be a bit attraction light so I hope there are some expansion plans coming up to fill out the offerings

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom