Will Shang-Chi come to Walt Disney World?

WizardofDestiny123

Original Poster
With the new MCU film Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings about to be a success, what the likelihood that the character or attractions around the character could come somewhere to Walt Disney World Resort? The character is not featured in any of the character artwork at Marvel Super Hero Island, so I can only assume that Shang-Chi and his supporting cast are available to use in Orlando.

Having seen the film for myself, I think the most likely place for the character would be somewhere in Hollywood Studios (maybe replacing the space at Beauty and the Beast in Sunset Boulevard) or as an overlay for Rock 'n Roller Coaster ala The Incredicoaster if Disney doesn't wish to re-theme the ride to another musical artist.

Another possible location could be the China Pavilion in Epcot, but it would be trickier to add given all of the events that go on in the Park.

What do you all think?

Rockishcoco

First day box office numbers in Shang-Chi looks to have the second highest opening of the year. Definitely a success especially in these rough times for theatrical. Having seen the movie I’d argue that the best place to put a Shang-Chi attraction is Animal Kingdom. If you’ve seen the third act of the movie you know why.

JIMINYCR

I would like to see Disney start bringing in some Marvel characters and Shang-Chi could be a good start. With Disney in the past wanting to elevate more characters of racial types, another Chinese character besides Mulan would increase their self promotion.

Namaari

Would love to see Marvel characters in the WDW parks as well, especially Shang-Chi! Though isn't there a conflict of licensing? I was under the impression that Disneyland has all the rights to Marvel.

cookiee_munster

I always wondered whether the move for phase 4 to use more obscure marvel characters was purely to start introducing them to the Florida parks?

So far, I've been seeing nothing but positive stuff for Shang-Chi. I have to say, it certainly wasn't something I was interested in seeing to begin with, but my interest has certainly grown over the past few weeks. :)

vikescaper

I was wondering if Shang-Chi is part of the Universal deal. I did notice that there is a Shang-Chi poster on the Voyage of the Little Mermaid show building at DHS and I can’t think of any other Marvel movie that has a poster in-park.

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
I would like to see Disney start bringing in some Marvel characters and Shang-Chi could be a good start. With Disney in the past wanting to elevate more characters of racial types, another Chinese character besides Mulan would increase their self promotion.

Can only do that in California.

JIMINYCR

Can only do that in California.
Disneys contract says they cant use certain Marvel characters in use at Uni at theme parks east of the Mississippi. Spiderman, Hulk, for ex. They can use lesser known characters which is why it was thrown around by speculative people years ago that Disney might start promoting the lesser known characters and build them up in their WDW parks. Could Shang-Chi be the one to start up? Anythings possible.

cheezbat

I hope not. Disney World doesn’t need a bunch of Marvel. Universal already does Marvel better than anything Disney’s done with it yet. I don’t get the obsession with people wanting Wakanda in WDW…they can’t build anything of substance that utilizes Black Panther…so why build a land? Shang Chi may be a decent movie, but once again, this just doesn’t scream a movie that needs to be made into an attraction.

get creative. Get back to building original attractions not based on intellectual properties.

The Empress Lilly

Shang-Chi is ABC more than Chinese. As such it would have been great for a Disney's America park. Or for a studio park, as an entry to showcase the huge Chinese/Asian presence in animation.

As a strictly Marvel IP, separated from its representational aspects, in modern WDW anything goes, eh? Put it next to Guardians, in the World Marvel Celebration park.

vikescaper

Shang-Chi is ABC more than Chinese. As such it would have been great for a Disney's America park. Or for a studio park, as an entry to showcase the huge Chinese/Asian presence in animation.

As a strictly Marvel IP, separated from its representational aspects, in modern WDW anything goes, eh? Put it next to Guardians, in the World Marvel Celebration park.
They could put Shang Chi in Animal Kingdom and do a Ta Lo land. We could finally get a dragon attraction!!!

FettFan

With the new MCU film Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings about to be a success, what the likelihood that the character or attractions around the character could come somewhere to Walt Disney World Resort? The character is not featured in any of the character artwork at Marvel Super Hero Island, so I can only assume that Shang-Chi and his supporting cast are available to use in Orlando.

Having seen the film for myself, I think the most likely place for the character would be somewhere in Hollywood Studios (maybe replacing the space at Beauty and the Beast in Sunset Boulevard) or as an overlay for Rock 'n Roller Coaster ala The Incredicoaster if Disney doesn't wish to re-theme the ride to another musical artist.

Another possible location could be the China Pavilion in Epcot, but it would be trickier to add given all of the events that go on in the Park.

What do you all think?

Given the trend towards Cheapeneering, I wouldn't expect anything more substantial than what they did for Narnia way back when.

That is you walk into the China Pavilion and instead of Reflections of China, you'd watch a new trailer cut for the Disney+ release.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom