Will Rise of the Resistance be the next Test Track?

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
I do find it fascinating how people are getting all wrapped around themselves because an attraction is not opening ‘early’. Disney had been saying for some time that the opening of SWGE would be in late Fall 2019 at WDW and only recently changed that language to just ‘fall’. Now when they come back and say that most of the land will be done well ahead of schedule, the usual suspects still need to find something to complain about. In a world of not defaulting to Disney negativity, if RotR opens before mid December, it will still be on its original schedule and not LATE as some are trying to depict it.

It seems that no matter what they do, the usual suspects come out in droves to complain about it. If they were on the current construction schedule but held the opening for RotR to be completed, these same people would be screaming up a storm that ‘it’s done, why won’t they let us in?’. It doesn’t seem to matter what Disney does, the same people are going to find something to complain about.

How about we just enjoy what is being opened ‘ahead’ of schedule. If you need to have both open for your visit, then stay with the original late fall schedule for your plans.

I can't like this post enough. We're getting most of GE 3 months early. Why all the complaining?

FettFan

Original Poster
I do find it fascinating how people are getting all wrapped around themselves because an attraction is not opening ‘early’. Disney had been saying for some time that the opening of SWGE would be in late Fall 2019 at WDW and only recently changed that language to just ‘fall’. Now when they come back and say that most of the land will be done well ahead of schedule, the usual suspects still need to find something to complain about. In a world of not defaulting to Disney negativity, if RotR opens before mid December, it will still be on its original schedule and not LATE as some are trying to depict it.

I disagree. I say that if you are providing a product to consumers, you have an obligation to provide that product in full at time of delivery.

I remember once when I worked at a certain big box outdoor retailer, we were expected to sell a certain sonar/gps system. The system was capable of creating three-dimensional sonar images of the bottom of whatever body of water you were in. The unit itself was selling for about $1200, and the demonstration mode showed these awesome 3D images.

The problem? The manufacturer did not include the 3D capabilities in the unit itself. That add-on wouldn't be available for months down the road.

In my opinion, those things had no business even being on the market to begin with, as they were incomplete.

Disney set the date to open Galaxy's Edge for 29 August, the entire thing needs to be completed and ready to receive guests no later than close of business 28 August.

FettFan

Original Poster
one of the few times that they actually came to their senses, more rides were needed not meet and greets... I hope that's not what happens to stitchs place.

Alas....they shut down Snow White's Scary Adventure to build a meet and greet. Disney likes their zero-sum games.

Disone

I disagree. I say that if you are providing a product to consumers, you have an obligation to provide that product in full at time of delivery.

Disney set the date to open Galaxy's Edge for 29 August, the entire thing needs to be completed and ready to receive guests no later than close of business 28 August.

I guess up until about a few weeks ago that promised delivery date was late fall. Clearly August 29th is not late fall. You missed the entire point of his post while miraculously at the same time walking right into it.

danyoung56

I say that if you are providing a product to consumers, you have an obligation to provide that product in full at time of delivery.

I worked a seminar many years ago where the keynote speaker was the guy in charge of the original Macintosh computer for Apple. He said that if they'd waited till the computer was really working well they never would have shipped. In fact, one of his main bullet points was "Ship Crap".

I thought that was kinda interesting . . .

Raineman

I remember once when I worked at a certain big box outdoor retailer, we were expected to sell a certain sonar/gps system. The system was capable of creating three-dimensional sonar images of the bottom of whatever body of water you were in. The unit itself was selling for about $1200, and the demonstration mode showed these awesome 3D images.

The problem? The manufacturer did not include the 3D capabilities in the unit itself. That add-on wouldn't be available for months down the road.

In my opinion, those things had no business even being on the market to begin with, as they were incomplete.

If you scheduled your vacation for late 2019-early 2020, everything will be operating as advertised in SW:GE and nothing will have changed from what you were expecting when you arrived. For anyone coming to WDW between August and Nov-Dec, they were not expecting any of SW:GE to be available, so anything open in the new land is a bonus. If Disney kept with their late fall opening date, and we arrived at that point and ROTR was not ready, then, IMO, that would be considered not having full product at the time of delivery, but delivering 80-90% of the full package 3 months early with 100% of the package available on the original opening date is not breaking that obligation, especially if you make the effort to make everyone aware that not all options will be available at the early date, which is what Disney has been doing.

JohnD

My family has decided that our next Disney trip is going to be the week of Mardi Gras 2020. Works for us here in Louisiana as both my sister and I are teachers and all the school systems between Lake Charles and New Orleans shut down for 2-3 days so that we can properly celebrate (and properly repent afterwards).

So I decided to check out current ticket prices....and saw an interesting banner notice atop WDW's website stating that Rice of the Resistance will NOT be opening along the rest of Galaxy's Edge.

View attachment 355961

Needless to say, this has me thinking back to the late '90s, when Test Track kept getting delayed over and over again because the ride system was so sophisticated that it kept crashing the computers, and eventually had to have the programming scrapped and re-written entirely.

From what I've heard, this thing is going to incorporate numerous ride elements from the trackless system seen in Ratatouille and Mystic Manor to the elevator lifts from Tower of Terror, so it doesn't particularly surprise me that there would be problems... but still, Galaxy's Edge was first announced in 2015; one would have thought that any problems would have been headed off at the pass.

Mardi Gras is February 25 next year. From what we're hearing, Smuggler's Run and the rest of the land will open early (August 29) and RoTR will be opening on time later in the fall. Everything will be open by the time you go.

JohnD

Damned if they do. Damned if they don't. They decide to open the rest of the land early-early-EARLY which includes Smuggler's Run while RoTR will open on time later in the fall. But your logic says they should open at the same time. If they decided to go as scheduled, you would be complaining that the rest of the land is ready so it should be opened already without ROTR.

tomast

Wow, thanks for the info, I never knew. The best attraction in New Fantasy Land was not in the original plan.
Not quite. The SDMT was a later change that did not exist in the original plan that was drawn up in 2009.

The land on which it sits would have been meet-and-greet areas featuring Cinderella's manor and Aurora's Cabin, both of which would be attractions in their own right, similar to Enchanted Tales With Belle.
blueprint.jpg

SDMT was not announced until 2011, nearly two years after the initial FLE made its debut.
https://www.themeparktourist.com/ne...ed-plans-magic-kingdoms-fantasyland-expansion

full

ffh118374SMALL.jpg

Can't help but wonder if this would have had an animatronic Lucifer.

Wow! Its so beautifull that cinderella´s Manor! And make much more sense having that overthere than SDMT.
And thats why Ariel got that wonderfull building. it has to match the others.

Right now I feel its much like a "Beauty and the Beast miniland" + "The worst DarkRide ever with one of the coolest entrance" + SDMT.

Btw SDMT is the best astraction at new FantasyLand, and a cinderrella manor next to the castle dont feel right, but I think it would have been much much better is SDMT was at one side of the park and not in the middle of the land.

FettFan

Original Poster
Damned if they do. Damned if they don't. They decide to open the rest of the land early-early-EARLY which includes Smuggler's Run while RoTR will open on time later in the fall. But your logic says they should open at the same time. If they decided to go as scheduled, you would be complaining that the rest of the land is ready so it should be opened already without ROTR.

Actually no I wouldn't. For actual fans of the parks like myself, waiting for Pandora to open was never a problem; tacking on an additional year of development for SWGE would also not have been a problem. Heck, back when it was first announced, my prediction was that it wouldn't be ready until 2020, based on how long Pandora was taking to build.

justintheharris

Nobody said there were problems. The presumption is most of the land can get done early, so why wait for the second ride to open it?
Exactly! Why is everybody forgetting that Galaxy's Edge was expected in late fall and Disney ambitiously announced an AUGUST opening date? I assumed Rise of the Resistance was being delayed due to capacity purposes and Disney was hoping that the a few people may see that both of the attractions won't be open and some people may decide to wait until Rise of the Resistance was open to go visit. I highly doubt Rise of the Resistance is actually having technical issues or even a delay.

justintheharris

So... you'd rather Disney NOT open Millennial Falcon until late fall just because Rise of the Resistance won't open with it? No other reason? That's a ludicrous idea. If they opened at the same time, as someone said, you'd complain that Disney had the entire land ready with the exception of one attraction and then you'd complain about them not opening in phases to better spread out crowds. It's a constant game on this forum of "what can we complain about today?"

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom