Will "revenge travel" crowds effect your normal disney plans?

ELG13

We go to Disney at minimum once a year for an 8+ day trip but once we became passholders we aim for 2 smaller trips as well. We get our monies worth from the longer trip alone but it's nice only needing to get a hotel and now we have a pop up camper so we need only a tent site. I'm so excited for Disney to be back to normal (almost) but I'm I'm not gonna lie.....I don't know if we will be back for a year or more depending on how the crowds are. We go enough to not feel pressure to get it all done but we still don't like waiting in long lines in the heat or dealing with unruly groups. So for all of you others that are lucky enough to go often, do you think you may avoid it for a while? I get so emotional seeing all the commercials and posts on instagram etc because I'm so happy, but I also know it may be a while before we make it back. Pandemic crowds were good while they lasted lol

JIMINYCR

Our May trip was so much more enjoyable with the limited numbers at each park. I told DW and DS that they should enjoy it while it lasts because this will be the last time we have it this good. The added trouble of being masked up, distancing in line and the lack of normal Disney things were off set by the enjoyment we got from not bumping into others or fighting the crowds. We will be going back knowing Disney is going to cram every body they can back into the parks but in response we probably will not spend as many days at Dis, rather we will venture off property more to escape the masses. If we cant enjoy it, we will spend our time and money elsewhere.

Upvote 0

Minnesota disney fan

Yes, I think the revenge travelers will affect our plans. We were going to WDW in November this year, but backed out due to the limited resorts offered and lack of rooms at the ones left. We felt that if it is going to be overly crowded then we will wait:)
We would like to go to DL in the Spring, however, and can't wait for that.

Upvote 0

HouCuseChickie

It's interesting, because this surge is impacting the travel industry as a whole. You've got people in nearly every kind of travel who are saying "I normally go here, but I'm staying home this year or going elsewhere because of the crowds." In other cases, you've got people who normally go certain places and had some components of their trips booked, but just can't because other components of their trip are booked solid...some of which may not have ever been necessary in the past. Either there are no rental cars to be had, no nearby lodging available, and/or passes implemented for crowd control that may have not been needed before, are gone. You've got people losing their minds over this with the national parks. Even some cruises that are planning to sail at some point this summer have been supposedly shifting people around to make the numbers work, ultimately forcing people to decide if they want to hold off until travel gets less crazy since the new cruise plans weren't what they booked.

Upvote 0

Kingdom Konsultant

WDWMAGIC Board Sponsor
Premium Member
WDWMAGIC Sponsor
It will impact it quite a bit because there is a huge demand right now on the supply but not all of the supply has reopened unfortunately. People who would normally cruise are looking at other destinations and booking those until cruising is back in full swing. I'm working on a client that's going to Hawaii in December and the price of air and rental cars are both obnoxious.

Pam

Upvote 0

Cowboy Steve

We have been trying to go once a year recently... and I can see what you are saying about the parks maybe being a little 'hectic' as they transition back to a more normal experience. And with the 50th Anniversary kicking off in October... the last three months of the year could be brutal. We are still going this December for almost 2 weeks. My family has been visiting WDW since early 1972 (I was 5 1/2)... so we kind of want to do the whole 50th anniversary thing. Add to that my Wife turns 50 in November, and this year's trip could be epic. Now that I am officially old enough to get my AARP card... our Disney vacation experience has slowed to a significantly easier pace. No more rope drop till they kick us out days... We will be staying at Fort Wilderness in an RV (either rented or we will have our 5th wheel by then), which is easily the least hectic of any of the resorts... lol. And with the 10+ day tickets with park hopper, we can be flexible with our schedule in the parks. We will be traveling with our fur babies... so I don't see anything happening with the crowds that a few doggie kisses won't fix. And camping without horses is so... relaxing! We should have started this RVing thing years ago! :D

Upvote 0

ELG13

Original Poster
It's interesting, because this surge is impacting the travel industry as a whole. You've got people in nearly every kind of travel who are saying "I normally go here, but I'm staying home this year or going elsewhere because of the crowds." In other cases, you've got people who normally go certain places and had some components of their trips booked, but just can't because other components of their trip are booked solid...some of which may not have ever been necessary in the past. Either there are no rental cars to be had, no nearby lodging available, and/or passes implemented for crowd control that may have not been needed before, are gone. You've got people losing their minds over this with the national parks. Even some cruises that are planning to sail at some point this summer have been supposedly shifting people around to make the numbers work, ultimately forcing people to decide if they want to hold off until travel gets less crazy since the new cruise plans weren't what they booked.
It's like when we try and go to dinner in the town we live in. We have a 11 no so if we go out to dinner it's generally earlier. Sunday we went at 4pm. We had to go to 3 different restaurants to find a place with a wait under 1 hr because, I kid you not, they ALL only had 2 servers. It was bizarre. Even mid pandemic when things were "open" but sketchy it wasn't like that. It's been a recent decline in staffing. It's so weird. But I can definitely see how shortages from staff to just general things like food could cause issues.

Upvote 0

ELG13

Original Poster
We have been trying to go once a year recently... and I can see what you are saying about the parks maybe being a little 'hectic' as they transition back to a more normal experience. And with the 50th Anniversary kicking off in October... the last three months of the year could be brutal. We are still going this December for almost 2 weeks. My family has been visiting WDW since early 1972 (I was 5 1/2)... so we kind of want to do the whole 50th anniversary thing. Add to that my Wife turns 50 in November, and this year's trip could be epic. Now that I am officially old enough to get my AARP card... our Disney vacation experience has slowed to a significantly easier pace. No more rope drop till they kick us out days... We will be staying at Fort Wilderness in an RV (either rented or we will have our 5th wheel by then), which is easily the least hectic of any of the resorts... lol. And with the 10+ day tickets with park hopper, we can be flexible with our schedule in the parks. We will be traveling with our fur babies... so I don't see anything happening with the crowds that a few doggie kisses won't fix. And camping without horses is so... relaxing! We should have started this RVing thing years ago! :D
We are hoping to go again in January. We went this January and oh my gosh, it was by far my favorite trip ever. Crowds were zero, weather was low 80s day and mid 60s night. We didn't have our pop up yet but we are hopeful we will have this gal up and ready by then ( sellers covered several large issues and now we are trying to repair them all). But yes. The fort is what we consider our home resort. I could stay there an never go to the parks.

Upvote 0

ELG13

Original Poster
Our May trip was so much more enjoyable with the limited numbers at each park. I told DW and DS that they should enjoy it while it lasts because this will be the last time we have it this good. The added trouble of being masked up, distancing in line and the lack of normal Disney things were off set by the enjoyment we got from not bumping into others or fighting the crowds. We will be going back knowing Disney is going to cram every body they can back into the parks but in response we probably will not spend as many days at Dis, rather we will venture off property more to escape the masses. If we cant enjoy it, we will spend our time and money elsewhere.
Same here in our January trip. It was glorious and by far my favorite ever. We did every. Single. Ride. More than once. Sometimes just running the queue to catch the next trip. Definitely a core memory.

Upvote 0

slipperalwaysfits

The reason we're going in July is because we had another trip planned to the Northwest but the rental cars were just too expensive and the cost of park tickets was actually less than what we'd pay for a week of a rental car. Plus, the place where we were supposed to stay flooded ( my mom's house) so it all worked out in the end!

It isn't revenge travel for us, it's more like: Disney with DVC is the convenient place to go, since the cost of transportation is still built in from the airport to WDW.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom