Will I regret staying at the Wilderness Lodge?

Disneydad2

Original Poster
I am planning on going to Disney World in June with at 1 1/2 year old and a 4 year old for 6 nights. I am planning on staying at all 4 parks with an extra day at MK. I was planning on staying at the Wilderness Lodge but found a good deal at the Contemporary Garden Wing that would make the room prices the same. I am not really a fan of the theming of the Contemporary and would definitely prefer the Wilderness theme and pools. It seems like transportation options are better at the Contemporary. Is the transportation much worse at the Wilderness? About to fully commit to the wilderness but don't want to regret it.

kendie_mac

I’m not as experienced as some other posters, so take this for what it’s worth. The Contemporary definitely has a better location & transportation options. However, my only stay was at Coronado right outside the 1st bus stop and I was more than satisfied. Felt spoiled even, not having to drive, watch road signs, battle traffic or parking. The bus was always empty when it picked us up & we only had 1 long wait the whole week. It was perfect for us in terms of food, pool, theming, & budget for that trip.

So I guess what I’m saying is, even if the transportation is better at Contemporary doesn’t mean you’d be unhappy elsewhere. Don’t over think it & just go with your gut.

monorail81

The only difference right now transportation wise is the monorail from the Contemporary to the MK. From the Lodge you would take a boat. You could also walk from the Contemporary to the MK. Otherwise, you have to take a bus to all the other parks and Disney Springs from both resorts. We stayed at the Contemporary shortly after reopening and were VERY disappointed. We had switched from the Lodge and regretted that we did.

Nottamus

We are DVC home resort AKL...and in 2019 did a week at the Wilderness Lodge and liked it! We visited a few times for dinner at whispering Canyon, and drinks at Geyser Point.
We were not a total fan of transportation from lodge to parks, as they share a bus sometimes with Campground and sometimes Contemporary.. Other than the boat ride to MK and back, we liked that.

taking my coffee outside and sitting beside the lake as the sun rose, pretty nice

Last edited:

aliceismad

Wilderness Lodge is one of the most beautiful resorts on property. The pool area is fun and lovely, and the dining options are varied and good. Personally I think your kids would have a better time at WL.

I like the Contemporary as well, but overall, I think it's inferior to WL. Riding the monorail to-from is my favorite part of that hotel. (And snagging a room with a view of the fireworks, but you won't get that in the garden wing anyway.)

With a 1 1/2 year old and a 4 year old, are you considering returning to your hotel mid-day for nap time? (Having gone to WDW with a 2 year old and also with the same child as a 5 year old fairly recently, I would recommend it. WDW is SO overstimulating for kids. My daughter really needed some downtime. I'm sure it's double the struggle with two.) If so, I could understand why the monorail access would be valuable, especially if the route to Epcot is available at that time. (Honestly from Magic Kingdom, I would rather just walk than monorail.) You can take a stroller on the monorail without folding it up (leaving sleeping kiddos still snoozing). I believe the same is still true of the boat, so that would be a benefit on the MK days.

TheGuyThatMakesSwords

WL is wonderful. We are DVC owners at BRV, and go twice per year from MI.

Now having said this? WL has no fine dining. If looking for this, be prepared to go elsewhere for it. Breakfast, Lunch, Fast Food.... GREAT.
We have MEARS Cab Service on speed dial :). And they are wonderful :).

ShookieJones

We need time for things to happen.
Wilderness Lodge is a great resort, and one of my faves. Theming it's going to blow away the Contemporary (especially the GW)!

With that being said, you got a couple of little ones and you're spending a couple of days at the MK.

So although the WL has a nice little boat ride to the MK, you can't beat the convenience of the walk over to the MK or a quick dash back 'home' on the monorail if you need a break.

Both are great resorts and you're not going to truly 'regret' staying at either. :) Enjoy!

MaryJaneP

Having stayed in both the (old) North Garden Wing (Now the Bay Lake Tower), and the South Garden Wing, but not having stayed in the WL, lets say that all of the foregoing comments are true while we nonetheless loved our stay in the wings. To us, nothing beat the location near to everything important to us. There are some aesthetic sacrifices that we felt were more than overcome by proximity to the MK walkway, Chef Mickey's, the California Grille, and other elements found at CR. Some may also exist at WL. WL is (we have visited it) much more thematic. We enjoyed visiting mid-year as well as at Christmas. WL is definitely superior in many areas, however, the wings are not even one bit bad. One of our visits in the wings was with a 1 3/4 y.o. child, and 2 other young kids. We all survived and really loved our time there. The kids still fondly talk about a visit that was over 20 years ago.

Disneydad2

Original Poster
Keep in mind that the garden wing rooms are somewhat of a walk to the amenities, dining, monorail, and bus stop, which are closer to or in the tower. I would only stay at the Contemporary if I was in the tower. I would pick WL.
Unfortunately the main contemporary rooms are not available due to the renovations.

Disneydad2

Original Poster
Wilderness Lodge is a great resort, and one of my faves. Theming it's going to blow away the Contemporary (especially the GW)!

With that being said, you got a couple of little ones and you're spending a couple of days at the MK.

So although the WL has a nice little boat ride to the MK, you can't beat the convenience of the walk over to the MK or a quick dash back 'home' on the monorail if you need a break.

Both are great resorts and you're not going to truly 'regret' staying at either. :) Enjoy!
About how long does it take to commute from MK to the Wilderness? I heard that it is about a 10-15 minute walk from MK to the Contemporary.

Disneydad2

Original Poster
Having stayed in both the (old) North Garden Wing (Now the Bay Lake Tower), and the South Garden Wing, but not having stayed in the WL, lets say that all of the foregoing comments are true while we nonetheless loved our stay in the wings. To us, nothing beat the location near to everything important to us. There are some aesthetic sacrifices that we felt were more than overcome by proximity to the MK walkway, Chef Mickey's, the California Grille, and other elements found at CR. Some may also exist at WL. WL is (we have visited it) much more thematic. We enjoyed visiting mid-year as well as at Christmas. WL is definitely superior in many areas, however, the wings are not even one bit bad. One of our visits in the wings was with a 1 3/4 y.o. child, and 2 other young kids. We all survived and really loved our time there. The kids still fondly talk about a visit that was over 20 years ago.
I was planning on using the boat transfer to travel to the Contemporary from the Wilderness for some meals (Chef Mickey and California Grill). Is it a long commute between resorts?

aliceismad

About how long does it take to commute from MK to the Wilderness? I heard that it is about a 10-15 minute walk from MK to the Contemporary.
15-ish minutes via boat. Of course you might have to wait until the boat gets there. I *think* the ride to Contemporary is longer because you also stop at Ft Wilderness, but I might be out of date on that.

It's half a mile from MK to Contemporary, then tack on another 1/4 mile maybe to the Garden Wing, depending on where your room is.

HouCuseChickie

My girls were 2 and 4 on their first trip. We stayed at WL because it was a Christmas trip and I thought it would be the perfect resort with the theme and tree. We were in a similar situation, where I could have had the garden wing at the Contemporary for the same price, but I stuck with WL. We had horrible transportation during our stay. There were times where the boats weren't running due to timing or weather and they weren't dispatching buses to the resort in a timely manner. Of course, transportation can be hit or miss at any of the resorts, so you could stay there an have no issues. What was an issue was the space...two young kids...a big stroller...lots of changes of clothes and diapers...etc. We felt ridiculously cramped in the room. We went back over the summer...younger one still 2 and older one turning 5 on that trip...stayed in the garden wing at the Contemporary and it was so much better. Transportation and convenience being able to walk to MK was so much better and the space in the room was like a breath of fresh air. Now that our girls are older and we typically drive to WDW, we'd consider WL for our trips...but never again if we had to have all of that stuff for young kids.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom