Will Face Characters be wearing masks when Disneyland reopens?

Sharon&Susan

Original Poster
Universal Orlando's Citywalk reopened on May 14th. With it the Toothsome Chocolate Emporium (which will soon be making it to Universal Hollywood's Citywalk) has brought out it's face characters, but with a twist!
1590038222345.png

They're wearing face masks, how immersion breaking! What would Walt think?

Just kidding, but I don't think I've heard anything on if face characters are still a thing at Shanghai Disneyland. This is my first time hearing what face characters will be (hopefully) temporarily be like in a coronavirus infested world.

According to this article from Theme Park University, the same rules will be in place in the Universal Parks in Florida (characters wear a mask and are in a roped off area):

Will Disney have the same guidelines in place when they reopen the American parks? Or will Chappie just cut all face characters and save some bucks? Would Snow White and Elsa look ridiculous in face masks?

And please no politics.

TROR

Controversial take, maybe, but I don't think they should even have any characters out during this time. As much as I love seeing Mickey Mouse and the classic Disney characters walking around, it seems like there's less of a purpose if kids can't even hug them. Just seeing them from a distance is kind of sad. I say cut the budget on costume characters for the time being.

AJFireman

I saw pictures from Shangai reopening but nothing recent. The did not have face covering on but they were all in view. Per the information on their website they do not interact closely with guest or offer photo ops. They are not offering parades but they are doing a Mickey and Friends Procession several times a day.
1590042681094.png

Old Mouseketeer

I think it may be a moving target--depending on what Shanghai's experience is and if WDW opens first (which I expect).

My best guess is there will be photo ops where the characters are separated from guests by a barrier, possibly with a wide range of visibility around where they are standing. Whether face characters will be wearing masks, I wouldn't try to predict at this point. Another variable is whether there will be differences between face and fuzzy.

MarvelCharacterNerd

Disney parks are not Disney parks without characters. I expect cavalcades, but no meet & greets for a while.

If they can get the Spidey/stunt side of Avengers Campus open, they can have the Marvel characters appear up in the stunt area.

(I'd expect the Star Wars characters to stay up on the second level of their areas, too - storm troopers, Kylo and even whatsherface the spy girl up in the stunt areas, while Chewie and Rey stay up by the ship Chewie 'fixes'.)

I'd take it. Anything to keep the characters around/visible.

MarvelCharacterNerd

Well judging off the fact that GE had these areas built in but never used (besides the occasional storm trooper standing there), and that Disney is in a deficit, I'd say they cancel entertainment.
They certainly could. But the fact that they haven't in Shanghai (the only park currently reopened) I take as a good sign that they hopefully won't cut all those cast members here.

Supreme Leader

I'd expect the Star Wars characters to stay up on the second level of their areas, too - storm troopers, Kylo and even whatsherface the spy girl up in the stunt areas, while Chewie and Rey stay up by the ship Chewie 'fixes'.)

I'd take it. Anything to keep the characters around/visible.
That'd be the most action that the "stunt" areas would've gotten since the land opened. ☠

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom