Will Disneyland USA suffer? ALL Of Disney's Theme Parks Now Closed - Reopening Dates Unknown

Californian Elitist

Some of these comments...

D5C582C6-A601-4B6F-91F7-6DCAD0F0DBA6.gif

Darkbeer1

China is a wonderful country.

Also I doubt this will have much effect on the US parks. Disney will take a net loss from this but nothing extreme.

IF it can be contained, and many folks truly hope so.

But we are at a dangerous point, China has taken some serious action to try and do that.

But if it spreads, well, the worse case scenario is having 65 million deaths.

I wasn't called this morning just to go have lunch and hang out.

It was all serious stuff, and a wide gamut of attendees.

I am not trying to scare anyone, BUT I am trying to say this is a serious matter, and could truly hurt tourism and sports across the world for an extended period of time.

Lilofan

China is a wonderful country.

Also I doubt this will have much effect on the US parks. Disney will take a net loss from this but nothing extreme.
When HKDL was losing money as it still is, the Disney execs put the squeeze out and parks and resorts felt the pain to include layoffs. Hopefully this tragic virus is solved so Shanghai is opened again.

John park hopper

I think the media like so many things --west nile virus, zika virus, ebola etc --hypes it up to make it worse than it really is. Disney is only a part owner of the park (43%) don't think they will be effected. Disney will just raise prices at WDW to make up any loss.

Last edited:

Bob Harlem

I suspect there will be a lot of misinformation so be careful searching the internet, but China is locking down and quarantining the province, the population there is 11mil (roughly equivalent to the entire state of Ohio, city itself is more populated than New York), but much more compact.

A few cases popped up in Australia overnight, but this one seems to show no outward symptoms (and remain contagious) for a few days before the flu like stuff kicks in. The lack of too much real knowledge about it will cause some folks to panic and cut off trips to be on the safe side. I suspect tourism is going to take a hit everywhere soon -- not just the west coast either, probably just because of the unknown potential and rumors rather than the reality--the "I'd rather be safe than sorry" approach, particularly with families. (I'm not going to repeat the rumors)

If it does take a hit on tourism, look for the deals.

Last edited:

Lilofan

I am in a bind here.

If this spreads, and the Anaheim Resort area has to basically shut down, not just Disneyland, but the Convention Center, Hotels, Restaurants, Bars, the Sports Venues, etc., the city residents will find out how important the economic engine is.

Lost of Jobs, tips and tax revenue, it won't be pretty.

The worries are real, I spent the day hanging out with others discussing things, numbers, etc.

Please understand why I am vague.

State Dept evacuating U.S. Citizens and diplomats from Wuhan with a direct flight to San Francisco. Hopefully they don't exhibit virus symptoms later.

Last edited:

shambolicdefending

From what I understand, the difference between your run-of-the-mill seasonal flu virus and an outright pandemic crisis is a lot more subtle than is generally assumed.

The mortality rate only needs to climb into the 1-3% range (the Coronavirus is estimated at 2-4%, currently) for it to start breaking down our systems' abilities to manage it.

We all hope the worst case scenarios don't play out, but it's wise and reasonable to be aware and prepared.

Lilofan

From what I understand, the difference between your run-of-the-mill seasonal flu virus and an outright pandemic crisis is a lot more subtle than is generally assumed.

The mortality rate only needs to climb into the 1-3% range (the Coronavirus is estimated at 2-4%, currently) for it to start breaking down our systems' abilities to manage it.

We all hope the worst case scenarios don't play out, but it's wise and reasonable to be aware and prepared.
It must be a challenge to locals and tourists in affected areas. Afraid to go out and be exposed may result in lack of food and drink consumption.

shambolicdefending

It must be a challenge to locals and tourists in affected areas. Afraid to go out and be exposed may result in lack of food and drink consumption.
From my reading on it, the big challenge is on care providers. In a really good year, the US has 10 million or so flu cases, but the vast majority of them never see a doctor. They just stay home and get better.

But, once a strain breaks out that starts killing 1-2 out of 100 patients, the math gets out of control really fast. Not only do you have 10s or 100s of thousands of incremental fatalities to deal with, but many times more people who start justifiably seeking medical care as soon as they show the symptoms.

Hospitals and other care facilities start straining pretty quickly. Once authorities decide schools need to close temporarily, the long-term trickle down starts that takes months or years to correct.

Californian Elitist

And yet, the United States government is still not murdering people for their religious practices. Of course this is also ignoring China’s general poor treatment of its people, the pollution and waste, as well as it not being based upon Western values.

I didn’t say the United States was. My point was some people still find China to be a great country despite their wrongdoings.

Not every country has to have Western values.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom