Will Disneyland USA suffer? ALL Of Disney's Theme Parks Now Closed - Reopening Dates Unknown

TP2000

Original Poster
thanks for the insight. as someone who’s been on various disney forums since the early ‘00s i was wondering if anyone else thought this outweighed the impacts of 9/11 and the economic downturn of ‘08. glad i’m not alone in thinking this is unprecedented but still very concerned for the impacts this will have over the next decade

While the 9/11 attacks were the darkest and scariest days for our country since World War II, they appeared to have a much smaller impact on Disney theme park expansion. Looking back, it's quite impressive to think Paul Pressler and Cynthia Harriss pushed forward with DCA expansion in the immediate weeks and months after 9/11. Both Flik's Fun Fair and Tower of Terror began construction within two months after 9/11, when it would have been easy to stop them cold. At WDW they continued with Dinoland construction and got Primeval Whirl open and a revamped Imagination pavilion open later in 2002, while Mission Space continued its massive construction and opened in 2003.

It's terrifying to think Paul Pressler seems more rational and smarter than Mr. Chapek in this situation. 🤣

The only casualty I can think of from 9/11 were some unused hotel wings at WDW closed for "refurbishment", and the construction stoppage and eventual cancellation of the Pop Century motel expansion. That actually may not be a good omen, because Pop Century expansion was stopped in the fall of 2001 and took another decade to restart. 😱

Disneys-Pop-Century-2.jpg

The bank panic and crash of 2008? A negligible impact, as plans for DCA's Billion dollar makeover steamed ahead and began opening in 2009 and 2010 and 2011.

The gas crisis of 1973-74 and hard recession it caused, when people literally couldn't get to the parks? A negligible impact, as major Tomorrowland expansion and Space Mountain construction continued at WDW for 1974 and 1975, and more modest construction continued at Disneyland with the expensive America Sings opening in the summer of '74.

Last edited:

Nland316

How much longer can Chapek really maintain his current business model without his job truly being at stake? He seems to not have taken any real heat throughout his time in his position, despite the reality of what has been going on/off again at the parks since 2015.

It seems to me like he’s been walking on very thin ice for a while now.

britain

While the 9/11 attacks were the darkest and scariest days for our country since World War II, they appeared to have a much smaller impact on Disney theme park expansion. Looking back, it's quite impressive to think Paul Pressler and Cynthia Harriss pushed forward with DCA expansion in the immediate weeks and months after 9/11. Both Flik's Fun Fair and Tower of Terror began construction within two months after 9/11, when it would have been easy to stop them cold. At WDW they continued with Dinoland construction and got Primeval Whirl open and a revamped Imagination pavilion open later in 2002, while Mission Space continued its massive construction and opened in 2003.

It's terrifying to think Paul Pressler seems more rational and smarter than Mr. Chapek in this situation. 🤣

The only casualty I can think of from 9/11 were some unused hotel wings at WDW closed for "refurbishment", and the construction stoppage and eventual cancellation of the Pop Century motel expansion. That actually may not be a good omen, because Pop Century expansion was stopped in the fall of 2001 and took another decade to restart. 😱

Disneys-Pop-Century-2.jpg

The bank panic and crash of 2008? A negligible impact, as plans for DCA's Billion dollar makeover steamed ahead and began opening in 2009 and 2010 and 2011.

The gas crisis of 1973-74 and hard recession it caused, when people literally couldn't get to the parks? A negligible impact, as major Tomorrowland expansion and Space Mountain construction continued at WDW for 1974 and 1975, and more modest construction continued at Disneyland with the expensive America Sings opening in the summer of '74.

Isn’t it possible that at some future day during some dark catastrophe, someone will do what you’re doing right now, and look at Disney’s history saying “Even during the coronavirus scare of 2020, at least they opened up what was close to being finished and they delayed other projects for a year.”?

And for every Space Mountain that goes forward despite turbulent times, there’s still a Western River Expedition (or a MK Matterhorn, or a DMGM-Europe, or a Dick Tracy) that didn’t survive the chaos.

I hear what you’re saying regarding it being unprecedented. But it still isn’t MUCH different that what typically happens when financial health goes south.

wityblack

These cuts really sadden me. I hope these projects don't end up getting revived with a low budget. I don't want New Tomorrowland to end up like 98. I'm excited for Railway, but I can honestly wait. I'm also sad that the budget will be slashed for improving atmosphere for GE, and any atmosphere improvements for Avenger's Campus, because having a lot of Super Hero action moments and shows around the land actually sounded like the only saving grace of the area. This is the first major stopgag on funds I'm seeing at the parks in my lifetime.

Darkbeer1

Westsider has a tremendous track record and is not hyperbolic, just relaying what he is hearing. He’s the only reason I ever go to that site so thanks for posting, saved me a click.

I can totally also speak to how Westsider is a long time poster, and one with good insight and common sense.

That said, this field of scope is totally off-limits in making comments. Thanks for understanding. But as they say, I can neither confirm nor deny.

But it is a fun read....

Darkbeer1

Going back to the Corona Virus, the city, along with all its regional partners, which includes Federal agencies, has been on this early, and I have been in multiple meetings, phone calls, etc. And the TDA folks have been there also.

San Diego just declaired an emergency. In reality, it was to open up funding, and to let the Department of Health more control over the situation. Not due to having more cases.

It is ironic, since my wife works for the Orange County Health Care Agency (though not in that department).
We have had some interesting conversations lately.

But so far, the right things have been happening here on the West Coast, and things are looking good, alas, some folks are panicking.

If we stay aggressive and make sure it doesn't spread, we will be OK. A LOT of time and effort has been spent to insure that.

But then, we are talking not closing US parks.

The China/Hong Kong issues are more financial......

Last edited:

el_super

These cuts really sadden me.

Don't get too worked up over it. Most of it is just classic internet tabloid sensationalism from internet rumormongers. You know you are in murky waters when people start citing unnamed, unannounced projects getting cancelled as proof. Projects get spun up and cancelled almost daily at a company as big as Disney. You rarely see an impact to what happens in the park.

Darkbeer1

Don't get too worked up over it. Most of it is just classic internet tabloid sensationalism from internet rumormongers. You know you are in murky waters when people start citing unnamed, unannounced projects getting cancelled as proof. Projects get spun up and cancelled almost daily at a company as big as Disney. You rarely see an impact to what happens in the park.

As someone who lived the WestCot story, which turned into DCA 1.0 due to the failure in Paris, I can assure things like this can make major impacts on the park.

I think everyone understands my limits, and current things like this, especially on how it impacts the city. Well, until my fine friends at the DLR release info, well.

el_super

As someone who lived the WestCot story, which turned into DCA 1.0 due to the failure in Paris, I can assure things like this can make major impacts on the park.

Westcot and the failures of EuroDisney were all well documented. That isnt a good example of "unnamed/unannounced projects being cancelled" type of rumor I am referring to. I'm referring more to the vague sensationalism from folks who don't understand how disney works but are all too eager to use any bad news.

Darkbeer1

You rarely see an impact to what happens in the park.

Look, this is a false statement. I covered the DLR for over 20 years, and was a fan before that. As you admitted, financial decision due show up in the parks due to budget cuts. Labor reductions, entertainment cut back, opting to use copy cat attractions instead of new ones.

I have been lucky enough to sit down with many Imagineers and seen Blue Sky ideas that had gotten to the final stage, only to see the project cut, or more often, many featured elements eliminated.

DCA has some many of those elements, it is a great example, and still is today. The DCA originally on the drawing board, and what was delivered in 2001 where a lot different.

And now in 2020, it is happening again. As I stated in the last few weeks, something is up, and I was right. Something is up, and I will comment more when that info is disclosed. I know many will be able to report what they see, or not see, in the next few weeks.

I have been wined and dined by the DLR to prepare for future events, you can easily read between the lines as to why the DLR is currently trying to work with city leaders, as we prepare for the impacts coming.

kpilcher

I even went back to the 1973 Gas Crisis, which was AWFUL for those of us that remember it, and it had an apparently negligible impact on WDW expansion for 1974-75.
The Tomorrowland expansion was so far along halting it didn’t make sense. Same with Treasure/Discovery Island. But the gas crisis killed the last hopes for Western River Expedition, not to mention the Venetian, Persian and Mediterranean resorts. It also sharply curtailed LBV. Memories of the downturn later played a big role in why the Pre-Eisner board didn’t want to build hotels near Epcot. Until 9/11 it was probably the biggest disrupter for WDI‘s plans (well after Walt’s death, anyway). Not that I’m downplaying EuroDisneyland’s fallout. I’m not.

el_super

Look, this is a false statement. I covered the DLR for over 20 years, and was a fan before that.

Then you should know that budgets get adjusted all the time. Some things get cut and other things get added. It has happened that way for fifty years. Do you think that Walt cancelled Liberty Street because he was worried about the asian flu? Priorities change and money gets shifted, but spending has gone up and up and up, year after year, for decades now.

But the overall experience in the park keeps improving because thats the only way they make money, by making people want to come back. They're not so dumb as to not realize that.

I have been wined and dined by the DLR to prepare for future events, you can easily read between the lines as to why the DLR is currently trying to work with city leaders, as we prepare for the impacts coming.

If they are so hard up for money that they have to cut budgets, why are they spending money on political activities? Why haven't they been cut from the budget?

Last edited:

PiratesMansion

But the overall experience in the park keeps improving because thats the only way they make money, by making people want to come back. They're not so dumb as to not realize that.

If they are so hard up for money that they have to cut budgets, why are they spending money on political activities? Why haven't they been cut from the budget?

Please tell me more about how 2020 DCA is better than 2015 DCA and 2020 WDW is better than pre-FP+ WDW.

And honestly, DCA is hardly alone. Of all of the Disney parks I was able to visit multiple times over the last decade (US parks, Tokyo, and Hong Kong), the only park where the overall experience unquestionably got better in all respects was Hong Kong Disneyland. Yet the prices have risen, often dramatically so, across the board.

More money being charged is not necessarily indicative of a better product, it is indicative only that they want more money. If they don't get "enough" money, they skimp and cut as much as they think they can get away with. This is a self-evident fact based on how the parks have been operating for the past few years. There have been obvious, clear patterns. Otherwise, you wouldn't see things like parades (even day parades!) mysteriously cycling in and out of being scheduled, something largely unheard of until a few years ago.

They're spending money on political activities because they know long term it'll be easier to get things done if they play nice with the government. A number of things were proposed, announced, and ready to go forward but stalled because Disney and the previous town council did not getting along. They cannot afford to be on bad terms should they decide they are ready to begin spending at the resort again.

IanDLBZF

And the permanent closure of River Country.

TrainsOfDisney

Then you should know that budgets get adjusted all the time. Some things get cut and other things get added. It has happened that way for fifty years.

I’m not wanting to make this sound too aggressive but who are you? There are multiple “insiders” telling us some serious budget cuts are taking place.

If you’re aware of how the parks have been operating for even the past 15 years you know that a lot of entertainment has been cut and not replaced. California has been luckier so far with keeping most attractions. I was pretty surprised to see the canoes return.

el_super

More money being charged is not necessarily indicative of a better product, it is indicative only that they want more money. If they don't get "enough" money, they skimp and cut as much as they think they can get away with.

So if they are out to get more money, wouldn't they only cut things that are not making money?

This is a self-evident fact based on how the parks have been operating for the past few years. There have been obvious, clear patterns.

This kinda proves my point... If this has been happening for years, then why now would it be due to the corona virus?

Remember when people were blaming Shanghai for budget cuts, while they were building two Star Wars lands? Then they blamed Chapel for more budget cuts while they were building Avengers and Tron? And now they're blaming more budget cuts on the Corona Virus while they are spending a billion dollars on Epcot?

Maybe I have it backwards and they only spend money while people are complaining about budget cuts.. and if that's true then carry on.

lazyboy97o

So if they are out to get more money, wouldn't they only cut things that are not making money?

This kinda proves my point... If this has been happening for years, then why now would it be due to the corona virus?

Remember when people were blaming Shanghai for budget cuts, while they were building two Star Wars lands? Then they blamed Chapel for more budget cuts while they were building Avengers and Tron? And now they're blaming more budget cuts on the Corona Virus while they are spending a billion dollars on Epcot?

Maybe I have it backwards and they only spend money while people are complaining about budget cuts.. and if that's true then carry on.
Maybe you don’t know as much as you think? You mixing all sorts of things up while claiming a events that did happen did not. Spending money on Epcot was planned, the cuts are to deal with unplanned losses. Entertainment was cut from Galaxy’s Edge. There were cuts to make up for cost spikes in Shanghai.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom