Will Disneyland USA suffer? ALL Of Disney's Theme Parks Now Closed - Reopening Dates Unknown

TP2000

Original Poster
I woke up way too early today for some reason, and the news is blaring that Disney will be closing Shanghai Disneyland indefinitely effective end of business today, due to the spreading Coronavirus across China. This is the start of their extremely busy Lunar New Year vacation period, which would be like closing just before the two very busy December weeks of Christmas in America.

Shanghai Disneyland will close, as will all shops/restaurants in their Downtown Disney, plus the Disneyland Hotel and the large public park attached to the resort. Disney is giving ticket and hotel refunds starting today. There is no known date when Shanghai Disneyland might reopen. Days? Weeks? A month or more?

I can't think of any equivalent to this indefinite closure in theme park history since the 1950's, at least not American theme park history.

Obviously it would take a great deal of pressure to close Disneyland or Walt Disney World here, but I wonder how bad it would need to be before that would happen? What's going to likely be more of a problem for the American parks is the financial pressure it's going to put on them. Hong Kong Disneyland was already suffering greatly due to the crash in attendance after the pro-democracy protests of the last few months. And now Shanghai Disneyland is closed entirely with no known reopening date.

Remember that #ThanksShanghai thing where Disneyland had to cut costs and slashed offerings to help pay for Shanghai Disneyland? How long until the near collapse of all of Disney's theme park business in China impacts Disneyland USA?

EDIT: I have changed the title of this thread with the news on Saturday evening that Hong Kong Disneyland has also now been closed indefinitely due to the spread of the Coronavirus. Originally the title only mentioned Shanghai Disneyland.

Last edited:

Sharon&Susan

Disney and more is reporting that Hong Kong Disneyland is suspending meet and greets with face characters
Wouldn't be surprised if this wasn't just for health reasons with how empty HKDL has been this year.

Last edited:

brb1006

Shanghai's statement.

“In response to the prevention and control of the disease outbreak and in order to ensure the health and safety of our guests and Cast, Shanghai Disney Resort is temporarily closing Shanghai Disneyland, Disneytown including Walt Disney Grand Theatre and Wishing Star Park, starting January 25, 2020. We will continue to carefully monitor the situation and be in close contact with the local government, and we will announce the reopening date upon confirmation.

Shanghai Disney Resort will assist in the refund for guests who have purchased tickets for admission to Shanghai Disneyland, have booked a resort hotel, or have booked tickets for Beauty and the Beast Mandarin Production through the original ticket purchase channel, and we will introduce the detailed procedure and guidelines via the resort’s official platforms as soon as possible.

We wish our guests a healthy and happy Spring Festival!”

Last edited:

Sharon&Susan

Hong Kong Disneyland's statement.

“In response to the prevention and control of the disease outbreak and in order to ensure the health and safety of our guests and Cast, Shanghai Disney Resort is temporarily closing Shanghai Disneyland, Disneytown including Walt Disney Grand Theatre and Wishing Star Park, starting January 25, 2020. We will continue to carefully monitor the situation and be in close contact with the local government, and we will announce the reopening date upon confirmation.

Shanghai Disney Resort will assist in the refund for guests who have purchased tickets for admission to Shanghai Disneyland, have booked a resort hotel, or have booked tickets for Beauty and the Beast Mandarin Production through the original ticket purchase channel, and we will introduce the detailed procedure and guidelines via the resort’s official platforms as soon as possible.

That's Shanghai Disneyland's statement, not Hong Kong's.

Phroobar

Hong Kong Disneyland's statement.

Zombies are running ramped. Everyone stay indoors. We will issue ticket refunds. We wish our guests a healthy and happy Spring Festival!

socalifornian

So far, antivax has caused more problems for us

TL;DR: Two reported cases here from people who travelled to China, with another 63 being investigated from 22 states

>>The Chicago resident is the second confirmed coronavirus case in the United States. Earlier this week, a Washington state resident in his 30s was diagnosed with the virus. He had traveled to the same region of China as the woman.
Nationwide, more than 2,000 people had been screened for the virus as of Thursday, and 63 patients in 22 states were being investigated Friday because of possible signs of the virus, according to the CDC. Local officials would not say how many of those patients are in Chicago or in Illinois. Still, Arwady and other public health officials said the risk to the general public remains low despite the confirmation of the case.

Darkbeer1

I am in a bind here.

If this spreads, and the Anaheim Resort area has to basically shut down, not just Disneyland, but the Convention Center, Hotels, Restaurants, Bars, the Sports Venues, etc., the city residents will find out how important the economic engine is.

Lost of Jobs, tips and tax revenue, it won't be pretty.

The worries are real, I spent the day hanging out with others discussing things, numbers, etc.

Please understand why I am vague.

Disney Analyst

I woke up way too early today for some reason, and the news is blaring that Disney will be closing Shanghai Disneyland indefinitely effective end of business today, due to the spreading Coronavirus across China. This is the start of their extremely busy Lunar New Year vacation period, which would be like closing just before the two very busy December weeks of Christmas in America.

Shanghai Disneyland will close, as will all shops/restaurants in their Downtown Disney, plus the Disneyland Hotel and the large public park attached to the resort. Disney is giving ticket and hotel refunds starting today. There is no known date when Shanghai Disneyland might reopen. Days? Weeks? A month or more?

I can't think of any equivalent to this indefinite closure in theme park history since the 1950's, at least not American theme park history.

Obviously it would take a great deal of pressure to close Disneyland or Walt Disney World here, but I wonder how bad it would need to be before that would happen? What's going to likely be more of a problem for the American parks is the financial pressure it's going to put on them. Hong Kong Disneyland was already suffering greatly due to the crash in attendance after the pro-democracy protests of the last few months. And now Shanghai Disneyland is closed entirely with no known reopening date.

Remember that #ThanksShanghai thing where Disneyland had to cut costs and slashed offerings to help pay for Shanghai Disneyland? How long until the near collapse of all of Disney's theme park business in China impacts Disneyland USA?

I just keep thinking that Corona must not be pleased by this choice of name for the virus.

Anjin

I am in a bind here.

If this spreads, and the Anaheim Resort area has to basically shut down, not just Disneyland, but the Convention Center, Hotels, Restaurants, Bars, the Sports Venues, etc., the city residents will find out how important the economic engine is.

Lost of Jobs, tips and tax revenue, it won't be pretty.

The worries are real, I spent the day hanging out with others discussing things, numbers, etc.

Please understand why I am vague.

Although you understandably can't divulge information, it's good to know people are planning for the possibility.

Darkbeer1

I just keep thinking that Corona must not be pleased by this choice of name for the virus.
The radio station I am listening to just went to a traffic reporter over Corona. Bad jokes about the Freeway being infected.

But beer sales will be affected, te question is how much. And bad timing with the Super Bowl coming up....

Darkbeer1

What impact did SARS have on the American Disney parks? A general decline in tourism across NA is what I remember.

That's the closest comparison IMO. Only now there's more travel to/from China for it to spread.

Yes, but the main worry is, just like Measles, that a Coronavirus person visits Disneyland and spreads it to others.

And do you want to see thermometers added to the security check?

EVERYONE doesn't want it to happen.

But if this virus is truly deadly to some, how can you stay open if you can be a source of it being spread? Both Ethically, plus being open to lawsuits.

Scary stuff

BrianLo

We'll see which way this goes (and how long it lasts), but oddly enough I'd anticipate worse outcomes for Hong Kong. Which, literally can't take anymore bad news or Main land travel avoidance.

Shanghai has been mostly exceeding their pre-indices. Despite the build out going completely over budget and delayed, it has done well overall and generates money. It certainly isn't DLP/HKDL.

A completely closed park is probably less of a financial drain than an open one with negligible attendance.

Again, no idea how long it 'lasts', but a far more fatal blow so far was dealt to Tokyo and it surprisingly shrugged it off.

Mickeyboof

We'll see which way this goes (and how long it lasts), but oddly enough I'd anticipate worse outcomes for Hong Kong. Which, literally can't take anymore bad news or Main land travel avoidance.

Shanghai has been mostly exceeding their pre-indices. Despite the build out going completely over budget and delayed, it has done well overall and generates money. It certainly isn't DLP/HKDL.

A completely closed park is probably less of a financial drain than an open one with negligible attendance.

Again, no idea how long it 'lasts', but a far more fatal blow so far was dealt to Tokyo and it surprisingly shrugged it off.

Tokyo has true showmen at the helm who understand how to sustain a product. They have sustained a culture. The United States used to as well, but comfort came first.

Americans loose a few millions and slash quality as a reflex.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom