Will Disneyland USA suffer? ALL Of Disney's Theme Parks Now Closed - Reopening Dates Unknown

Mickeyboof

New York City has its first theatre cancelation. Moulin Rouge will suspend two performances today. I wonder if this is going to be the first domino.

How can Disneyland and Walt Disney World stay open with this sort of pressure, as sporting events, conferences, travel and concerts are all being slashed left and right.

Mickeyboof

Quick update- here in New York City, the .gov site is reporting 62 confirmed cases (as of my writing this.)

Broadway shows will suddenly shudder tonight beginning at 5pm.

Broadway shows are the Walt Disney World of this city, the heartbeat of tourism and commerce.

Disney must be feeling the burn, as now Aladdin and Frozen are, well, frozen.

Phroobar

Here are statistics to put the hysteria into context:

United States of America:
18,000 flu deaths this season.
80,000 flu deaths last season.
37 coronavirus deaths.

Worldwide:
291,000 to 646,000 flu deaths each season.
3400 coronavirus deaths.

And note: apparently the flu is so contagious it is impossible to quarantine.
At least this year's flu deaths will be smaller due to all of these precautions.

flutas

Wondercon is gone. 🦀

TsWade2

If Disneyland going to be closed, I'm going to be ticked! But, to the people of Anaheim, it may be a good cause. Stupid Coronavirus! I wish it didn't exist in the first place! :mad:

Ismael Flores

You know quite a bit of these things being cancelled take place in close in areas with tons of people breathing and touching everything they see. makes me wonder if that is one reason theme park entertainment giants are holding of on closures consider precautions as a way to control the virus from spreading.

Constant upkeep and controlled entertainment can be one of those things that might help. People in general should also do their part as well by maintaining an attitude of cleanliness. Its amazing how many people i see using bathrooms, touching handrails on everything and eating without ever considering first washing their hands before or after doing that.

At this point, if people think they may be at risk due to age or health reason then they should make a decision to wait it out a bit and stay away from large public gatherings. For most others maybe its true and it is just like many other deceases that have plague the world and once you get it in your system your body naturally creates immunity to it.

I am a strong believer that we in general have open ourselves to these things because of the overwhelming use of chemicals to disinfect everything, antibiotic creams, and over use of antibiotics medications that have not allowed tour bodies to create natural antibiotics and resistance.

Last edited:

TP2000

Original Poster
I got in a Lyft this morning and went to Disneyland, just in case I don't get to go for a few weeks or a few months. I did not go on Millennium Falcon: Target Run (still no desire to after three rides last June), but I did ride Pirates and Small World and Mr. Toad. I left when the driving rain soaked me to the bone and I just got home.

I'm wet and cold and tired, and I think it would be terribly ironic if I catch pneumonia and die from tromping through Disneyland in the pouring rain. But what a way to go! 🥴

Last edited:

Ismael Flores

All i know is that if they close the parks they better extend the expiration dates for annual passes to coincide to the amount of days closed. I only go once a month sometime twice just enough to cover the cost of my pass compared to day fees. So if park is closed for a month then i would have to go more times a month to level off the cost if they do not expand the expiration date.

It would also be nice to have a new expiration date that does not fall right after New Years day

wityblack

I really am getting angry. Disney Parks should close immediately. So many people could be symptomless carriers, or have the virus and not know it. 50,000 people in the parks, and confirmation that it can travel through air, is not safe right now. The American healthcare system is about to be overwhelmed, and we can't afford to have extra people taking hospital beds because they want to ride through space or sing with drunken pirates.

Ismael Flores

This would not happen. The pass states that the park can close and pass benefits can change at anytime. Furthermore the parks would have lost so much money that the last thing they'd want to do is extend additional admission to someone who has already paid upfront months ago.

If i remember correctly they already did that with the parks they do have closed. Extending the pass does not really hurt them but instead helps them gain revenue from parking, merchandise, food sales.

It is pretty much the same idea as all those comp tickets they give. Giving a comp ticket gets a person in the gate that might not have been there. This person now paid for parking, food, and merchandise that would not have been sold otherwise and it adds good PR.

BrianLo

Well, my unbridled optimism has ended.

We've got a case in Peds (from a daycare - so woof). They've just cancelled a swath of important resident functions and likely we are dismissed through our exam so that we can actually write it... which for the moment is still happening, but involves 200 people in close contact in a room over two days.

smooch

Well as of 5 minutes ago my college just announced that we are moving to 100% remote operation, meaning all classes along with student and faculty services will move completely online starting on the 18th with limited operation between now and then to allow a transition period where people can get whatever they need before switching completely. On the topic of Disney parks, I definitely agree with what some people are saying with the fact that Disney parks are wide open areas and all the events being closed down are people sitting in enclosed environments packed right next to each other. To be fair, in Disney parks when it's busy you are shoulder to shoulder with people, and Disney is still operating shows in the theaters and such where people are packed into the exact environments being shut down, so I feel like at the very least they should stop the shows in the parks. I'm checking constantly for updates, it's going to be interesting to see what the decision is in terms of the parks closing or not. I am curious if they're going to just close both US parks at the same time, try and hold out and only close one if there is an outbreak on either property, or close one of the US parks first to sort of test the waters in some way.

wityblack

You really should be angry at the American Health care system and our government for that since they were not prepared properly knowing that are Health system is crap here. At this point the virus is here and it will probably spread significantly and most likely it will happen in places most people take for granted and are needed.

supermarkets, gas stations and restaurants to name a few.
Oh don't worry, I'm very angry at the government too. But still angry that Disney is once again putting profits over safety.

SoCalMort

This is about as real as it gets. From the LA Times at 12:44

Gov. Newsom issues order allowing California to take over hotels, medical facilities

California Gov. Gavin Newsom released a sweeping executive order on Thursday that allows the state to commandeer hotels and medical facilities to treat coronavirus patients and permits government officials to hold teleconferences in private without violating open meeting laws.

Newsom issued the order hours after he called for the cancellation of gatherings of 250 or more people, marking the first time he has applied so-called social distancing practices to the entire state of California.

“This is where we need to go next, and to make sure we fully implement those procedures and protocols to slow down the spread to get through a peak and to get through the next few months, so we don’t overwhelm our healthcare delivery system,” Newsom told reporters Thursday.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom