Will Disney re-join the gaming industry

Tank Man

Original Poster
This probably has been talked to death already but could Disney make themselves be a bigger name in gaming. Everybody knows their theme parks and movies as they rule those industries. In TV they are struggling and their Cruises are doing really well as well. Disney+ is probably going to do really well as the lineup for the first year is going to be great. But in gaming there name is hardly used anymore. They have been selling off their properties instead. Square Enix is making Kingdom Hearts and Marvel games, Frontier might be making a Disney park builder and EA (ugh) is making Star Wars games but there is something in common with all of them, they don’t capture the charm. When Disney came back to the Cruising industry and did it the Disney way and it has been a huge success and still has been and it’s unique way is what made it amazing, what if Disney did that with games. Rob plays talked about this and how Disney should buy a company and I think they should just make one and call it Disney Interactive games (I think they used that before). They should spend a long time on working on games and get big budgets and release Disney games and Imagineers could help. This should be the start and an idea I have is of Disney Infinity minus the garbage stuff. Players collect characters and worlds to explore as they go on. It will combine all things Disney and will have a story mashing up the characters and all the characters fit into classes (many types to separate one from another) and have unique abilities and there will be online features and a huge open world where you can sail the seas from Pirates as Sully. It will combine what made DI great and make that better. If it is a success they should update the game and have a roadmap to add more stuff as everything moves on, then once they can they should buy a company. I am thinking that they should grow their empire and make them a bigger piece of gaming. They should buy (not EA) Frontier first as by then their contract with Universal would have ended as they have talent and they can make Disney park builder games. This allow a RCT style game but with Disney which is what I want. After maybe making a few more games they should buy maybe two AAA developers (Square Enix, Ubisoft, Activision, etc.) they can make themselves bigger and buffer as they could maybe release big budget games just about ~2 years to keep Disney fans doing something with the many worlds Disney can make.
Game Ideas:
Mickey Mouse 2D Plat-former in the new cartoon style​
Zootopia style open world cop game, could use things from some LEGO games​
Disney Park Builder game where they can even operate the parks​
Moana open world​
Pirates of the Caribbean open world pirate game (there was one in dev before being canceled)​
An Epic Mickey remake without the dark atmosphere​
Redo of Star Wars: Battlefront​
Avengers game similar to Overwatch​

That is just scratching the surface as they can become huge from this.
Another idea is that they could partner with Microsoft as Xbox could get some Disney games where Xbox could get more people through the Disney games and Disney could make movies and rides about Xbox IP’s to combat Super Nintendo World at Universal since Xbox IP’s are not as unfamily friendly as PlayStation. We could get a Halo shooter ride

Christian Fronckowiak

In the Parks
Yes
I don't think that TWDC has the patience to build a brand for themselves in gaming. They just seem to arrogantly assume that the Disney brand can transcend all media, but it hasn't with video games. If they spent ten years creating solid game after game-- the way they've spent decades earning the respect of moviegoers and theme park visitors--, then they could probably have a really strong foothold in another industry. However, it seems that they desire the goodwill brand recognition regardless of their inconsistent output.

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
They should buy (not EA) Frontier first as by then their contract with Universal would have ended as they have talent and they can make Disney park builder games. This allow a RCT style game but with Disney which is what I want. After maybe making a few more games they should buy maybe two AAA developers (Square Enix, Ubisoft, Activision, etc.) they can make themselves bigger and buffer as they could maybe release big budget games just about ~2 years to keep Disney fans doing something with the many worlds Disney can make.

Frontier isn't under contract to Universal, they just had the rights to Jurassic World for JWE. Also no to buying multiple game publishers. People already complain about Disney buying up movie studios, the same thing is rampant in gaming. You dont have to buy publishers/developers for them to make games for you. There's also no credible rumor about a Planet Coaster style Disney game, as much as we all want there to be one.

Ubisoft would reject any proposal to be taken over because it's happened to them once before.

They also wont buy Activision because of it's parent company with Blizzard.

Tank Man

Original Poster
Frontier isn't under contract to Universal, they just had the rights to Jurassic World for JWE. Also no to buying multiple game publishers. People already complain about Disney buying up movie studios, the same thing is rampant in gaming. You dont have to buy publishers/developers for them to make games for you. There's also no credible rumor about a Planet Coaster style Disney game, as much as we all want there to be one.

Ubisoft would reject any proposal to be taken over because it's happened to them once before.

They also wont buy Activision because of it's parent company with Blizzard.
I meant by the leak that happened back in February which everything in it has been legitimate and it said that Frontier is getting the rights to use Disney properties, I said it would be cool to get a Disney park builder but when Frontier used ghostbusters they basically turn a DLC to a ghostbusters theme park builder which I think they would do with a Disney park in Planet Coaster

Here is the link:

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
I still find the JWE2 rumor kinda funny because it's literally the same thing as the first game except with probably more dinosaurs added?

Tank Man

Original Poster
I still find the JWE2 rumor kinda funny because it's literally the same thing as the first game except with probably more dinosaurs added?
Yeah,
On the OG post it was mentioned that the JWE engine has trouble and a new engine would fix the new problems and JWE was super successful and a better one would sell more and that fact that they can’t change the engine.
But I don’t see any problems with JWE, we will see and I bet they will miss the 2021 release date and this means we get JW3, Jurassic World Coaster and JWE 2 in the same year

erasure fan1

Eventually I see them taking another stab at gaming. It wouldn't be for a while and I don't see them developing. I could see them as a publisher and strictly funding things. I just don't see Disney putting out the capital and giving it the time to be successful. They would need to dump star wars money at a minimum. And I just can't see them thinking the ROI would be worth it.

Christian Fronckowiak

In the Parks
Yes
Eventually I see them taking another stab at gaming. It wouldn't be for a while and I don't see them developing. I could see them as a publisher and strictly funding things. I just don't see Disney putting out the capital and giving it the time to be successful. They would need to dump star wars money at a minimum. And I just can't see them thinking the ROI would be worth it.
Maybe after Iger

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom