Will Disney ever build a resort in America’s second largest state Texas?

KeithVH

See this article for some hard facts about only one single type of weather where Texas features multiple times in this list, especially slide 12 and 13.

Imagine 20K+ people at the park walking to their cars and 90% of them seeing this:

Brad Bishop

I'd think that the biggest things stopping any new major theme park resort from opening in the USA (Disney or otherwise) are:

- business
- regulations
- protestors

Business: You could argue that with air travel the way it is that it's pretty easy for someone to get to either of the two resorts, currently. Why build another?

Regulations: regulations are far worse today than they were 50-70 years ago. EPA, OSHA, local laws/permits/fees/etc. It's not a friendly environment to build much of anything, even if you're the government.

Protestors: People will protest anything. Tell them someone wants to build something nearby and they'll be out in droves. Tell them that something that is no longer viable will be torn down and they'll protest that, too.

70 years ago it was: I have an idea. I think I'll give it a shot.

Today it's: I have an idea. Better hire a team of lawyers to sort through the regulations and fend off the protestors... You know what? It's not worth it (both in the time/effort and money/capital involved).

Yeah - Universal is doing it in Orlando but they've had to fight these same fights. They also don't have a choice if they want to expand.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
While I don't think there will be a new US park anytime soon, I'd like to see Disney explore options in more states. I wonder if they could be successful building a handful of resort hotels throughout, each with a different theme/experience. As an example: People have always posited that a Disney Ski Resort would be great.

As for Texas though, what about a large resort hotel similar to POR/CSR with a mini waterpark. Not to the scale of BB or TL, but maybe a lazy river, a few slides, and large pool. Coupled with a mini entertainment district with a few shops and restaurants, a character meal or two - and I think that could work.

It Is What It Is

I think in the 80's and 90's it might have been a thought. I remember rumors of Disney possibly buying land in Texas (San Anotnio - Austin area, if my memory serves me well). Airfare was ridiculously expensive compared to what it is today. My wife and I paid about 275 each round trip from California to Florida earlier this year. My wife (works in the travel industry), off the top of her head, thinks that same trip would have cost 700 each in the late eighties - early nineties. Look at how much incomes have changed since then.

With airfare so affordable, it doesn't make any sense to build a park in Texas. Why fly to a park in Texas, when you could fly to Florida or see the original park in California for roughly the same airfare?

Haymarket

I'd think that the biggest things stopping any new major theme park resort from opening in the USA (Disney or otherwise) are:

- business
- regulations
- protestors

Business: You could argue that with air travel the way it is that it's pretty easy for someone to get to either of the two resorts, currently. Why build another?

Regulations: regulations are far worse today than they were 50-70 years ago. EPA, OSHA, local laws/permits/fees/etc. It's not a friendly environment to build much of anything, even if you're the government.

Protestors: People will protest anything. Tell them someone wants to build something nearby and they'll be out in droves. Tell them that something that is no longer viable will be torn down and they'll protest that, too.

70 years ago it was: I have an idea. I think I'll give it a shot.

Today it's: I have an idea. Better hire a team of lawyers to sort through the regulations and fend off the protestors... You know what? It's not worth it (both in the time/effort and money/capital involved).

Yeah - Universal is doing it in Orlando but they've had to fight these same fights. They also don't have a choice if they want to expand.
I think this is generally correct: in most of metropolitan America, you can’t really build anything big anymore.

But I always thought exurban or small-town/rural Texas could somehow be an exception, and would be a great place to relocate Disney’s America or Disney’s American Celebration, as opposed to creating a new kingdom park or any other of the existing formats (studio, etc.). Disney’s America plus hotels, a water park, etc. with room for maybe another park.

However, because of all the social upheaval we’ve had of late, focusing in large part on America’s history, I doubt Disney will touch anything centered around American history for a major endeavor like a park. Maybe they’d build another regional-type resort in Texas with a new park theme and format?

illustrated-map-of-the-park-jpg-1569420264.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom