1. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

Will Discovery Island ever be turned into something?

Discussion in 'WDW Parks General Discussion' started by The_Bellringer, Mar 20, 2017.

1. The_Bellringer

The_Bellringer Active Member

The thought of it sitting out there abandoned kind of creeps me out... I wonder if Disney will ever utilize it again? Any thoughts on what could be done with it?

Captain Barbossa likes this.
  2. NiarrNDisney

NiarrNDisney Well-Known Member

Unfortunately at this point no the island has become a wild life reserve for a certain species of bird.

Also there were issues with evacuations should an emergency ever occur.

drwadadli likes this.
  3. The_Bellringer

The_Bellringer Active Member Original Poster

Wow I never knew that. Well, I guess keeping it for the birds' sake is better than nothing.

And I hadn't thought of evacuations. That would be a disaster waiting to happen.

4. NiarrNDisney

NiarrNDisney Well-Known Member

Im not sure if it would be possible but if a bridge or land bride were to be built maybe it could be put back into use

The_Bellringer likes this.
  5. larandtra

larandtra Well-Known Member

I recall visiting it many many years ago, as with River country. Discovery Island was cool and a nice respite from parks. I would not see it in the plans to make use of it anytime soon. The videos of those areas people who have "snuck" in and taken are really creepy.

6. Tom 55

Tom 55 Well-Known Member

What the Island looked like September 2016.

Attached Files:

7. larryz

larryz Well-Known Member

WDW will never reopen it. That's where they put the failed AA experiments from It's A Small World... ;)

Fox&Hound and Alice a like this.
  8. blueboxdoctor

blueboxdoctor Well-Known Member

I doubt it. It's not a very big space, so it could easily get over crowded, and I don't really see what they could put there at this point. I know there was some sort of rumor that back in the 90s I think, they were possibly going to team up with the company that made the video game Myst, and have a sort of interactive Myst island there (which, other than being a fondly remembered game, many more games have come since then, so it would have been quickly dated).

Plus, it seems it basically grew into Animal Kingdom, so the actual attraction of the animals still exists, and in a much larger area.

9. The_Bellringer

Ooh stop! Giving me the creeps! Haha.

10. The_Bellringer

Could they ever turn it into a deluxe resort, or is it not big enough? I think an island oasis, 5 star hotel would appeal to some.

11. blueboxdoctor

blueboxdoctor Well-Known Member

I would assume it is too small, but maybe something like the bungalows they keep building. Still, I think they'd rather put their resources into a much larger area to build on.

12. raven

raven Well-Known Member

It's now a nature and wildlife preservation. So technically it is something.

13. Captain Barbossa

Captain Barbossa Well-Known Member

I rented a searaycer back in June and got as close as I could. Everything is overgrown with plants and trees. Also spotted a baby gator.

Courtney6682 likes this.
  14. Animewarsdude

Animewarsdude New Member

Decently interesting video on Discovery Island, and yea I think they will most likely just leave it as is.

The_Bellringer likes this.
  15. Marijil

Marijil Well-Known Member

my understanding is that Walt spotted it when scouting Florida properties from the sky and mused that he "could do something with that"

16. AndyS2992

AndyS2992 Well-Known Member

What bothers me the most is that at night, the lights come on in the buildings there, it's a huge waste of electricity. Just like the TVs in the queue for Body Wars which are all still on but just show static. Why can't someone just turn them off..