Will DHS attract a DCA style 'reboot'???

Mike730

Original Poster
As Potter 2.0 looms and fanboys dream of a more satisfying expansion in WDW, the fate of Disney's Hollywood Studios comes to mind. What will Disney do to keep people from trading a half-day Disney park for more time with Potter at Universal or with Antarctica at Seaworld? Animal Kingdom appears to have plans, but DHS continues to struggle with an identity crisis and many consider it in need of the most work. If the DCA 'reboot' is successful, (knowing TDO) should we look forward to a similar 'reboot' at DHS, due to their similarities? Would reinforced, cohesive theming and appropriate attractions prove to be what DHS needs most? What are your thoughts? Does it need/deserve it? Does anyone have any promising leads?

MarkTwain

Doubtful. DCA got the renovation primarily because the park was a major financial failure that never drew adequate attendance, and because its failure prevented the resort from becoming a multi-day resort in the style of WDW. Even though DHS may be roughly equal to the original DCA in terms of creative failure, the park still is always packed and presumably financially successful, and isn't a threat to WDW's status as a multi-day resort. I just don't see Disney seeing the justification for putting another $1 billion on DHS when, in their eyes, it isn't necessary.

wolf359

Doubtful. DCA got the renovation primarily because the park was a major financial failure that never drew adequate attendance, and because its failure prevented the resort from becoming a multi-day resort in the style of WDW. Even though DHS may be roughly equal to the original DCA in terms of creative failure, the park still is always packed and presumably financially successful, and isn't a threat to WDW's status as a multi-day resort. I just don't see Disney seeing the justification for putting another $1 billion on DHS when, in their eyes, it isn't necessary.

As much as I'd love to see Hollywood Studios get a much needed park-wide update, I totally agree.

Tip Top Club

Let's be honest folks, DHS Needs a new E-Ticket on the left side of the park, some nice-firm attraction rehabs (Great Movie Ride, Backlot Tour), and that's about it.

DAK needs a few more high capacity attractions (hopefully with some animals in there) and that's it, really nothing major.

EPCOT needs to redo the imagination pavillion. And that's it.

Magic Kingdom is the park that needs the most work, when the park was being designed they had no clue how popular it would be today, at it's core the park is essentially flawed, there's a lot they could do to ease constant crowds and congestion out there, and while I admit that this is an issue they can put off a bit longer, (perhaps after a new ride for DHS, and the Imagination Spruce), It's going to have to be addressed eventually. The Fantasyland addition is exactly what this park should be doing. A New Omnimover that should be a capacity machine, a new coaster that's unique that you can't see anywhere else in the world, and a LOT a LOT of new walking space and it's all going to be extremely immersive and heavily themed, I would be willing to wager on a level not seen anywhere else in the Magic Kingdom Right now.

There are always rumors floating around about Tomrrowland, Frontierland, Adventureland Blah Blah Blah, just throw in a new attraction every few years and use the opportunity to spruce the area and really push Magic Kingdom to a new level of Disney Quality, while also maintaining enough to keep things Nostalgic.

Anyway, sorry for the rambling, the answer to your question, should hopefully be no. But that's not to say DHS doesn't have some issues, but I firmly believe they could be fixed for RIDICULOUSLY less money than the DCA reboot.

wdwfan4ver

Let's be honest folks, DHS Needs a new E-Ticket on the left side of the park, some nice-firm attraction rehabs, and that's about it.

DAK needs a few more high capacity attractions (hopefully with some animals in there) and that's it, really nothing major.

EPCOT needs to redo the imagination pavillion. And that's it.

Magic Kingdom is the park that needs the most work, when the park was being designed they had no clue how popular it would be today, at it's core the park is essentially flawed, there's a lot they could do to ease constant crowds and projections out there, and while I admit that this is an issue they can put off a bit longer, (perhaps after a new ride for DHS, and the Imagination Spruce, It's going to have to be addressed eventually. Hopefully this Fantasyland expansion is just the beginning.

I disagree that Magic Kingdom needs the most work. I know Tomorrowland needs to be improved, MK as a whole is in better shape than DHS is. I went to WDW last year and I know the shape of the parks first hand as a result. I know Magic Kingdom has capacity problems, but those type of problems only should worked upon once DHS and MK become full day parks.

DHS has a reputation of being half a day park to a lot of people like it or not and the same thing is true with AK.

DHS does not have a lot of family friendly rides and is one of the reasons Toy Story Midway Mania has very long lines. Not everyone can do thrill rides due to medical reasons, height issues, or the people just simply are not big on some types of thrill rides. The other problem DHS has an attraction in Studio Backlot Tour that isn't exactly the most highly thought of attraction to a good amount of people and it takes up a good amount of space.

DHS and AK are capable of getting a decrease of attendance for a whole year when Potter Expansion and Sea World Expansion is fully completed. When more guests got Universal, that means people will spend less days at WDW. That means in return, people would consider not going to AK or DHS as a result.

American Idol Experience already had to cutback the amount of shows it does a day due to attendance issues.

Mike730

Original Poster

It's an unfortunate reality I suppose. I hate the current justifications required for money to be spent.

Tip Top Club

I love that your justification is that you went last year...I live five minutes from property, so if your basing your statement on then then...well...

I disagree that DHS has a reputation for being a half-day park. Perhaps if you're a local, or come regularly sure, but Hollywood Studios is a show-based park, and shows tend to take up more time than rides.

Consider: A family of four arrives at 9:00am (Dad 40s, Mom 40s, Daughter 11, Son 7) and makes a beeline for Toy Story Midway Mania. They get in line, which is still short first thing in the morning, and LOVE the ride so they decide to get a FASTPASS for later, by this time FASTPASSES are probably distributing for say...2:00-3:00pm.

Son is just old enough to want to try Tower of Terror and Rockin' Roller coaster this year, so that's the families next stop. they ride Tower of Terror, but the line for Rockin' has already gotten a bit long, so they decide to come back later to grab a FASTPASS. By this time, it's say 9:45-10:00, And this family has on their agenda Lights, Motors, Action, Star Tours, Muppetvision, The Phineas and Ferb Greet, Great Movie Ride, Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular, the American Idol Experience, Beauty and the Beast: Live on Stage. All of those things will take them AT LEAST Five/Six hours, so it's perhaps 3:00/4:00 in the Afternoon, Time for Toy Story Fastpasses, and somewhere in there they also grabbed Rockin' Fastpasses so let's add that in and about 45 minutes for lunch as well, so it is probably AT LEAST 6:00/7:00pm by now. The family decides to have dinner, Ride Tower of Terror A second time, and round out their day with Fantasmic!

Full day.

Now as far as the parks being "In Shape" to use your words, What about Hollywood Studios is not in shape that I haven't already mentioned. I said that GMR and Backlot were it's biggest problems (And I would personally like a Fantasmic Upgrade, but that's never gonna happen) so what else exactly are you referring to? If you mean adding new rides, well I said that too, They need a new ride on the Left side of the park desperately to spread crowds from Rockin' and Toy Story.

Lots of Magic Kingdom is simply starting to age, and like I said the park is flawed from a crowd flow and congestion standpoint, particularly in the evenings around parades and fireworks. I would love to hear what else you have to say, but I don't see how you can argue that specific point.

PirateFrank

I disagree that Magic Kingdom needs the most work. I know Tomorrowland needs to be improved, MK as a whole is in better shape than DHS is. I went to WDW last year and I know the shape of the parks first hand as a result. I know Magic Kingdom has capacity problems, but those type of problems only should worked upon once DHS and MK become full day parks.

DHS has a reputation of being half a day park to a lot of people like it or not and the same thing is true with AK.

DHS does not have a lot of family friendly rides and is one of the reasons Toy Story Midway Mania has very long lines. Not everyone can do thrill rides due to medical reasons, height issues, or the people just simply are not big on some types of thrill rides. The other problem DHS has an attraction in Studio Backlot Tour that isn't exactly the most highly thought of attraction to a good amount of people and it takes up a good amount of space.

DHS and AK are capable of getting a decrease of attendance for a whole year when Potter Expansion and Sea World Expansion is fully completed. When more guests got Universal, that means people will spend less days at WDW. That means in return, people would consider not going to AK or DHS as a result.

American Idol Experience already had to cutback the amount of shows it does a day due to attendance issues.

Whether you were at DHS last year or you live 5min from the park, this analysis is spot on....

I disagree that DHS has a reputation for being a half-day park. Perhaps if you're a local, or come regularly sure, but Hollywood Studios is a show-based park, and shows tend to take up more time than rides.
I agree.

Similarly, Animal Kingdom is an animal-focused park. Even on the days where they are open slightly later, it is still a battle for me to cram everything in. I spend a lot of time on the animal treks.

Tip Top Club

Alright some of the specifics got lost in the waffle as we were both editing our posts at the same time, so let me just say this. I agree with most of what you said, but I stand by my assertion that DHS is show-based, and shouldn't be considered a half-day park just because of the prevalence of two large thrill rides, and that Magic Kingdom has major even crowd-flow issues and is simply not up the standards of theming set by most of Animal Kingdom, and the Upcoming Fantasyland Expansion.

misterID

Of all the parks that need a reboot, or the most help, I think the order would be:

1. Animal Kingdom
2. EPCOT
3. DHS

4. Magic Kingdom.

George Lucas on a Bench

They could fit a big Indiana Jones E Ticket where the stunt show is. Maybe they'd need to cut into the parking lot a bit.

They could even reuse a bunch of the sets and props from the show at the entrance similar to Star Tours, which would work with the movie set theme.

Scuttle

I'd like to see them get rid of the LMA/Backlot tour area and part of streets of America. That whole side of the park needs MAJOR help. What DHS needs bad is a high capacity family ride on the far the left of the park and another E-ticket weenie over there wouldn't hurt either.

DisneyJunkie

DHS still has the problem of it being stale and old by today's standards. The entire HISTK playground area needs to go. Another major attraction (or two) on the opposite side of the park from ToT and RnRC is definitely needed. Even existing attractions, such as Indiana Jones could use a retooling (there ARE 3 other films in that series, guys). When you compare DHS with what Universal's been doing, it's clear that more effort is with Universal right now to stay current and give the people what they want. I'm sorry, but talk about an Avatar-land at AK that won't come to fruition until 2015 just doesn't cut it, and putting in more resorts in Florida without adding anything of substance to the parks there doesn't really cut it either. I'm looking forward to the finishing of the new Fantasyland (at MK) like everyone, but that's still a good year and a half out, and even then, that's only really two additional rides (Dwarves Mine Train & Little Mermaid) based on films of yesteryear.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
There is acknowledgement within TDO that the park has lost its way and cohesive theme.

If and when anything is done about it though...

WDWFREAK53

There is acknowledgement within TDO that the park has lost its way and cohesive theme.

If and when anything is done about it though...

It completely has. If there is a park that we need to "skip" it's always DHS.
When we DO go to DHS...it's never for a full day. We'll go in the afternoon and stay for Fantasmic! and that's about it.

Not only has the park lost its theme...but it's so "jumbled" that you never get lost in the experience like you do in the other parks.

It's not a "Theme Park" but more a park with a bunch of attractions just tossed in places where they fit...and not "fit" in a "theme-sense."

My Orlando Parks go as follow for "visits".

1. Magic Kingdom
2. Epcot
3. Disney's Animal Kingdom
4. Islands of Adventure
5. Universal Studios
6. Disney's Hollywood Studios
7. SeaWorld

Now, with a little one...I see Universal and Hollywood Studios dropping on that list and SeaWorld moving up. I have yet to go to LegoLand but that may be higher too.

Jimmy Thick

Um, how is a park, DHS, a creative failure when it draws in more people than both Universal parks combined?

Sure it needs another big attraction, but it's still better than Potter, and will continue to out draw it.

Jimmy Thick-Potter already waning in interest....

I think one of the big factors for TDO will be how much merchandise sales are generated by cars land in DCA at the moment no one jumps of the back lot tour at WDW demanding a toy tram! It is also one of Disneys biggest young boys franchises and they are keen to develope a male success to rival the princess brand with the sales and pulling power of this in the parks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom