Votes: 6 15.0%
  • Yes, but limited number of ships or itineraries

Votes: 28 70.0%
  • No

Votes: 6 15.0%

• Total voters

ChuckElias

Original Poster
Just looking for opinions. Do you think that DCL will be up and sailing by April of 2021? Even if only one ship is running limited itineraries. Will there be any Disney cruises in April? What do you think?

lostpro9het

Just looking for opinions. Do you think that DCL will be up and sailing by April of 2021? Even if only one ship is running limited itineraries. Will there be any Disney cruises in April? What do you think?
So does this mean you’ve written off all Fall/Christmas itineraries?

RememberWhen

We’ve got a February cruise booked. Rescheduled from right now.
But I really don’t know. I know that they don’t seem to be trying to limit the number of people on board the cruises they are booking now. Our travel agent isn’t able to get us the early dinner seating. We’re a large group and have a bunch of kids, so late dinner isn’t going to be fabulous. I’m assuming if the early dinner seating is full, they have at least half the ship booked. And they’re still accepting more people. I’d be pretty surprised if they don’t run the ships pretty close to full. But maybe they just won’t run them? To have the whole fleet down for a year seems like a lot. But everything is crazy right now.

Herdman

We are rescheduled on the Dream from May 2020 to May 2021. We used the extra credit to switch from a 3 day to 4 day cruise. Fingers crossed we'll be going.

ChuckElias

Original Poster
Very optimistic poll results so far :) I guess that should be expected in a cruise forum!

P.S. - just watched the Fantasy sail out of Port Canaveral. Gotta admit it makes me sad not to see people waving to the camera. Hope the crew is safe. I really really REALLY hope we get to sail in April.

NCState

We had two cruises canceled this year. But we are hoping our April 2021 will happen. We are really missing the Magic.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I think of all the travel industry branches, the cruise industry is the highest risk for draconian downsizing. It had a tough reputation to begin with due to ongoing illness outbreaks much less Covid.
Agreed.

I’d actually like to see some of the fleets “downsize”. Too many ships and that allows Disney to have you put an arm down and a leg at 90 days...

ChuckElias

Original Poster
Hurtigruten and Paul Gaugin both tried to re-start operations on a very limited basis and have both already shut back down. :(

ChuckElias

Original Poster
I’d actually like to see some of the fleets “downsize”. Too many ships and that allows Disney to have you put an arm down and a leg at 90 days...
I hope this doesn't sound snarky, because I honestly don't mean it that way. But can you explain why you think reduced supply would result in lower DCL prices? My vast education in Economics (exactly one course: Intro to Microeconomics :D ) leads me to think that shrinking the supply pool would lead to higher costs across the industry.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I hope this doesn't sound snarky, because I honestly don't mean it that way. But can you explain why you think reduced supply would result in lower DCL prices? My vast education in Economics (exactly one course: Intro to Microeconomics :D ) leads me to think that shrinking the supply pool would lead to higher costs across the industry.
Dcl inventory is already “artificially low”...

But you’re right...I didn’t say what I was going for. I meant to say smaller fleets of the competitors will raise their prices and get comparable figures across the board...including Dcl.

Dcl has had an advantage due to glut of RCCL and others. The assumption is the service is “better” and it’s not...or they offer more and they don’t.

It wouldn’t really Change dcl...Just provide better comps.

mickey0825

People think an available vaccine is the magic bullet....it's really not, especially with about 40% of the country saying they won't get the vaccine. Therapeutics are the better option and they are probably at least a year or two away.

ChuckElias

Original Poster
People think an available vaccine is the magic bullet....it's really not, especially with about 40% of the country saying they won't get the vaccine. Therapeutics are the better option and they are probably at least a year or two away.
I'm not a doctor, and I'm not a cruise line CEO, so I don't have any expertise at all. And I don't know if there is a magic bullet. So everything that follows is just a guess :)

Having said that, I think without a vaccine, there is no cruising. You can have therapeutics, but unless they're SUPER easy (like one pill) AND completely effective, I don't think they'll be enough. The vaccine might not be a magic bullet, but once it's developed, the cruise contract could be modified to require proof of vaccination before boarding. And then people would feel that it was safe to cruise again. If you don't want to get the vaccine, that's fine. But then you don't cruise. (Much like wearing a mask while flying now.)

All of that is just my opinion, but it's honestly the only thing that makes sense to me.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom