Will ANYTHING ever happen to Discovery Island?

Disney Maddux

Original Poster
After River Country was finally demolished, and with Reflections aiming for a 2022 opening, I'm now very curious as to the fate of Discovery Island. Security for it has definitely gotten more tight in recent years, especially with more people now finding ways to get onto the island, and even spend nights there.

So, my question, do we know if there are any ideas or plans in place for a replacement? Or are they gonna let Bay Lake reclaim its island?

Mouse Trap

After River Country was finally demolished, and with Reflections aiming for a 2022 opening, I'm now very curious as to the fate of Discovery Island. Security for it has definitely gotten more tight in recent years, especially with more people now finding ways to get onto the island, and even spend nights there.

So, my question, do we know if there are any ideas or plans in place for a replacement? Or are they gonna let Bay Lake reclaim its island?

Rumor is it’s an exclusive campsite for the uber rich.

MaryJaneP

How long did it take between closing River County until it was eventually demolished? It would be surprising if it took less time than that to re-imagine Discovery Island!

kurtk

Many of you don’t understand what Disney signature experiences actually is.
From their website, it looks like vacations that are priced for the upper middle class. Disney doing things other companies do, like cruises, Hawaiian vacations, and guided tours, adding some Disney magic and then charging a premium. Is that incorrect? Not saying they aren't good just expensive. That is why I thought the comment about a campground for the rich was funny.

peter11435

From their website, it looks like vacations that are priced for the upper middle class. Disney doing things other companies do, like cruises, Hawaiian vacations, and guided tours, adding some Disney magic and then charging a premium. Is that incorrect? Not saying they aren't good just expensive. That is why I thought the comment about a campground for the rich was funny.
It has nothing to do with offerings for the super rich. It’s simply the title they chose when they combined all of the none park elements under a single leadership umbrella. DCL, ABD, DVC, and Aulani. Obviously they aren’t cheap but neither is WDW. It’s not intended to be the rich demographic portfolio just the grouping of things that didn’t fit elsewhere.

Notes from Neverland

Here's a JHM article from over ten years ago discussing how WDI was considering making a Lost-themed experience or utilizing the Pirates of the Caribbean franchise to reinvigorate the area.

These are the most recent ideas I've come across. Anyone else?
There were some fun rumors involving the developers of the Myst franchise (if anyone here remembers that classic game) transforming the island. Obviously nothing ever came of it.

mwf5555

Does Disney have rights to Gillligans Island?

Disney Maddux

Original Poster
Here's a JHM article from over ten years ago discussing how WDI was considering making a Lost-themed experience or utilizing the Pirates of the Caribbean franchise to reinvigorate the area.

These are the most recent ideas I've come across. Anyone else?
A PotC island would be cool.

But if I'm being serious, only thing I can realistically see going there is a new hotel.

NYwdwfan

I remembered a detailed discussion about this a few years back so I did a search - there’s some interesting information on the topic here:

Bob Harlem

Just wild rumors in the past, like the island from Lost, or Myst, or various other things, or the rope bridges course, etc. Nothing ever seemed legit though.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom