Will anyone miss Ellen's Energy Adventure?

macefamily

Sad to see another one of the classics go. Although, I must say that I probably haven't experienced the ride during any of our last ten trips to Epcot.

floridagirl57

Oddly...I do love this attraction and its hard for me to decide if its nostalgia or that it was a great ride. I truly enjoy it (even after the Ellen update), but I always feel like there was some bit of magic missing. I could never put my finger on it...

It wasn't at the level of SE, JII or WoM, but it wasnt bad either. Oddly, out of all the original pavilions, it felt the most "corporate". While other rides made learning fun, this one always seemed like an ad for oil. Granted, I loved it, but it didn't have the corny charm of Motion, the whimsy of Journey or the gravitas of Earth. It had Dinosaurs, an incredible scene of a space shuttle launch and a a movie that reminded me of what a substitute teacher would toss in to get through the day while giving the impression of learning.

I will dearly miss it, I have great memories of it and I still find it entertaining, but I also freely admit I cant decide if its due to being truly end to end great or just rose colored memories of what Epcot used to be...

I rode EEE for the first time this past weekend and I couldn't place what felt not right about it. I didn't have any nostalgia or rose colored glasses going into the ride, but I think you hit the nail on the head about the movie. The dino's were really really neat, and I enjoyed the ride system, but that movie just felt stale and corporate. I wish the powers that be would re-use the ride system, because it was a great break from the heat and EPCOT needs more massive capacity rides. Sigh.

righttrack

I'll start by saying I love Guardians of the Galaxy, and it's one of my favorite Marvel properties and James Gunn has done an amazing job with it. I just don't think it belongs in Epcot.

As for Ellen, think about the first time you rode it. Not like you ride it now, as a cooling, amusing break from the Florida heat and humidity. Remember as it revealed itself to you, as this sort of moving theater. Imagine not knowing how it ends. It really is a very imaginative way of storytelling.

Chef Mickey

I'm absolutely wrecked they are destroying an original EPCOT attraction in favor of IP.

Sure, the Ellen/Bill Nye schtick needed some updating, but the awesome traveling theater ride system and incredibly detailed dinosaur scenes will be missed.

It's one of the few rides that without IP, still told an important story about the history and future of energy. The theme fit EPCOT's original mesage which sadly has completely changed to IP centric attractions that don't really focus on a community of tomorrow.

IanDLBZF

I for once say good riddance! EEA was nothing more than a bore to me and my mom, unless we planned on taking a 45 minute nap.

JIMINYCR

I will miss it but I had a lot more enjoyment out of the GMR and will miss that more. I've never been an Ellen or Bill fan but enjoyed their appearances in the attraction. Stupid Judy, Alex Trabek and Einstein will be missed too. Ellen's was a nice long ride through and I really liked the ride cars. They were very w/c friendly, easy to load and unload. Disney attractions needs more ride vehicles that are more w/c friendly.

Eddie Garrison

I will not miss the attraction overall.

Yes. There is a LOT of nostalgia there, but nothing more.

The dinosaur room was a great feature when it was first opened. Now, obviously it's way passed it's prime and only offers memories to many at this point.

It is sad to a point when original/old school attractions do finally meet their ends. However, they are doing so (for the most part) to make way for newer, better quality attractions that will most likely garner way more attention and guests than these once sought after attractions once did had they had remained.

My wife and I will be heading out to ride Universe of Energy and The Great Movie Ride one more time on Sunday evening, saying our goodbyes to old friends.

Chef Mickey

I'm actually sad so many people say "it's past its prime" when a classic ride closes. That's always Disney's fault. The justification for a new ride shouldn't be, "Well the old one was just so bad, it had to be completely destroyed."

It's only past its prime because Disney put literally nothing into it for 21 years. I actually like the fact they updated the initial attraction, but what's wrong with updating the concept again? You could go all out and have a whole new ride system, new story, but still a central theme of energy. The building was huge and has so much potential. To just scrap it in favor of an IP rollercoaster is just disappointing.

crxbrett

I was definitely more bummed when Ellen replaced the original 21 years ago. But I am still sad this one is getting replaced. I always loved the dinosaur room. The music to both the original version and this one were both fantastic.

Cmdr_Crimson

RIP Stupid Judy
If you kind of think about it.....She is a Disney Villian....
giphy.gif

BoarderPhreak

...However, they are doing so (for the most part) to make way for newer, better quality attractions...

Frozen is not better than Maelstrom.
Test Track is not better than World of Motion.
Mission to Space is not better than Horizons.
The Three Caballeros is not better than El Rio del Tiempo.
<cough>

"Better" is of course subjective, and yes, many of the original rides were dated, at least in some way. Nothing some smart updates couldn't fix in most cases. Lastly, the replacement to the originals tend to be glitzier, perhaps - but more dumbed down and shorter ("thrill" rides in some cases). Maybe I'm nostalgic. In most cases, sure, I can admit that. But Frozen? Sure, the IP sells but c'mon. That was NOT an improvement in ANY way except for Disney's merchandising.

Johnny Three-hats

Like others have said, it's not so much Ellen leaving that bothers me, but the loss of the concept behind the ride, the loss of the Universe of Energy, as the pavilion itself is still called for now. That signals that no, we'll never get a proper revamp for this attraction with the grand original idea in tact. Putting Guardians where it doesn't belong is just salt in the wound.

Hurts me personally because I wanted to ride it back in 2015, but we just never got around to it, so that leaves me with no chance to ever see the Universe of Energy in any form but gutted. In the time between then and now I grew really attached to the pavilion, to the point where I'd say it's my absolute favorite, even with the Ellen overlay. The announcement that it was closing so soon left me numb to all the other announcements. I didn't care about the Tron coaster or the Star Wars updates or even GMR closing, all that was important was Universe being gone. Don't know what that says about me, but that's how I felt.

Eddie Garrison

Frozen is not better than Maelstrom.
Test Track is not better than World of Motion.
Mission to Space is not better than Horizons.
The Three Caballeros is not better than El Rio del Tiempo.
<cough>

"Better" is of course subjective, and yes, many of the original rides were dated, at least in some way. Nothing some smart updates couldn't fix in most cases. Lastly, the replacement to the originals tend to be glitzier, perhaps - but more dumbed down and shorter ("thrill" rides in some cases). Maybe I'm nostalgic. In most cases, sure, I can admit that. But Frozen? Sure, the IP sells but c'mon. That was NOT an improvement in ANY way except for Disney's merchandising.

Hints why I stated (for the most part). In which I never stated that Frozen was better than Maelstrom. I honestly did not like Maelstrom anyway, nor do I like the Frozen ride. To me (opinion here of course) they were/are both bad rides. I am in FULL agreement on El Rio del Tiempro being a much better attraction than The Three Caballeros though.

And yes, I like Test Track leaps and bounds more than I ever liked World of Motion. Did I like World of Motion? Yes. Just not as much I like Test Track. Opinion is all.

And again my opinion here, but I liked both Horizons and still like Mission:Space. It's a preference and opinion deal of course and everyone is entitled to their own, however "unpopular" they may be to others. Even on the internet.

I am nostalgic as well when it comes to old(er) Disney things. I have been an AP Holder and frequent guest since 1987 and before living here, spent at least 30 days per year in the parks for the better part of 15 years. I have seen rides, shows, attractions, etc. come and go, come back or replaced. I get it. It happens, it's a business, etc. It will not stop me from going to Disney or enjoying every second I am there on the attractions I like that remain and for the new ones I am looking forward to experiencing.

trainplane3

The thing that's always killed me from when I started going to WDW, look at all the room for expansion! I'm tired of the replace and not expand thought process. I'm happy about Tron because it's a REAL addition, but I still feel it would fit better in Epcot more than guardians. There's a ton of room to grow but they never try to use it.

ppete1975

I remember the first time I rode it 1983. I was like "the picture showed a dinosaur"!!!!!! (which my whole childhood I loved dinosaurs so I was stoked and was more excited than even mickey), I got a little bored with the video and was prob fidgety sitting on this huge couch. BUT THEN the couch moved!!!!! Divided into smaller couches..... rotated and drove around... AND then DINOSAURS!!!!!!!! Yep it was amazing.... I rode it again in 2014 it had been 21 years since my last ride (1993).... and id forgotten how cool the ride system was. Was the video too long.... YEP .... do I hate ellen.... YEP.... although anyone would prob get boring for that long.
But why couldn't they just shorten the ride... shorter video .. updated AA's .. no ellen.
Epcot to me was learning... great architecture and a feeling like the world was going to be great!!!
In 1983-88 then 93... my favorite rides were
imagination
world of motion
energy
spaceship earth
the land
horizons

I didn't like wonders of life.. and the seas was closed the one time I went after it opened.

now ......
the land
soaring (I know same place but diff ride)
spaceship earth
test track

I wanted to like imagination but I couldn't......
mission space was boring

seems like a lot of things removed... and not much added. We could ... no should have gotten guardians as a new building, energy should have been vastly updated and shortened.
While I'm proud they are building a new building for the space restaurant... why do you have 2 perfectly good buildings just sitting there wasting space... (wonders of life.. and odyssey) .Why does new dining deserve a new building but new rides need to remove old rides????

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom