Wilderness Lodge vs Coronado Springs?!

pescador1f

Currently booked for POP this Sept. w/ wife and 2 boys ages 1 & 4, I can get CS for very little more money, I can also get WL for about $1,000 more! Is WL worth that much more, while I am not broke, that $1,000 could cover airfare!, more than all expenses for the week! I am not into resort ammeneties other than the transportation situations and a bar or lounge open late (after parks close). I see CS has a lounge but it says business casual dress code! in WDW??? I am really likeing WL, just want to know if it is worth that much more for what i am interested in,ease of transportation is key, Any help would be appreciated

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Currently booked for POP this Sept. w/ wife and 2 boys ages 1 & 4, I can get CS for very little more money, I can also get WL for about $1,000 more! Is WL worth that much more, while I am not broke, that $1,000 could cover airfare!, more than all expenses for the week! I am not into resort ammeneties other than the transportation situations and a bar or lounge open late (after parks close). I see CS has a lounge but it says business casual dress code! in WDW??? I am really likeing WL, just want to know if it is worth that much more for what i am interested in,ease of transportation is key, Any help would be appreciated
If you are not into the resort amenities then upgrading past Pop will largely be a waste save for 2 features. Transportation to MK will be a bit more consistent at WL and both WL and CS will have queen size beds. In your situation I would at most upgrade to CS, PORS pr POFQ to get a lounge and bigger beds.

Upvote 0

pescador1f

Original Poster
If you are not into the resort amenities then upgrading past Pop will largely be a waste save for 2 features. Transportation to MK will be a bit more consistent at WL and both WL and CS will have queen size beds. In your situation I would at most upgrade to CS, PORS pr POFQ to get a lounge and bigger beds.

I just dont want the lines for buses to and from like POP has, thats most important thing with 2 small children and a double stroller, i always pass the mods & deluxe bus lines with envy then seeing 1000 people waiting for POP!! ugh! i just wonder if WL is that much better on transportation, POLY seems best but out of price range this trip! Thanks!

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I just dont want the lines for buses to and from like POP has, thats most important thing with 2 small children and a double stroller, i always pass the mods & deluxe bus lines with envy then seeing 1000 people waiting for POP!! ugh! i just wonder if WL is that much better on transportation, POLY seems best but out of price range this trip! Thanks!
It will be slightly better simply because WL has smaller capacity than Pop, but there will always be long bus lines at closing or opening for every resort on property.

Upvote 0

Buzz2001

I'd go with CSR for equal money to Pop. Save the $1000.

Besides having a great main pool area, CSR also offers many deluxe amenities at a mod price.

CSR has queen beds and the rooms have been recently renovated and are gorgeous. The rooms also have a sliding wooden door separating the sink area from the room instead of a privacy curtain like the other mods (can be good for little ones napping in a pack n play).

Amenities include a fitness center, spa, free wi-fi, tanning beds, a sauna, salon, full menu room service and a night club.

The resort offers the same toiletries as the deluxes (except GF). CSR has separate shampoo and conditioner instead of the shampoo/conditioner combo at the other mods and values (a small thing, I know, but it means I don't have to pack shampoo and conditioner).

CSR has the largest hot tub of the mods and one of the longest pool slides on Disney property. The pool, slide and playground area is great and all located in one area at the main pool.

Bus service is terrific and is not shared with another resort.

Upvote 0

Skibum1970

Since I haven't stayed at Coronado, I don't have a good reference. I did stay at Wilderness Lodge and the bus transportation was awesome. Plus, we had a boat that took us directly to the Magic Kingdom and back, which meant no need for a bus. Also, you can take a boat to the Contemporary and then the monorail to Epcot, although that probably takes longer just to enjoy the monorail.

However, with $1,000 being the cost for the upgrade to WL, I would stay at Coronado. Other forum discussions have said that transportation is pretty good at Coronado and the resort itself appears to be much nicer than POP. A thousand dollars equates to a lot of souvenirs, fancier dining, and other things as you noted in your original post.

Upvote 0

stichrules

We have stayed in both. The issue with CSR is everywhere you want to go is on Buses. Had no issues with wait times usually for Buses to CSR but with a stroller can be tough.

WL, you can take a boat to MK (large boat allows stroller to be rolled right on and does not have to be folded up) and can get to Epcot via Monorail either from MK or Contemporary Resort. There is a boat taht goes from WL to CR. Monorail does not requie strollers to be folded up either

Only need to do buses to HS, AK or DTD. We loved the theming of WL but thought the QS was very lacking. Loved the QS (peppermarket) at CRS.

Actually both of these are our favorite resorts, If you are going to MK alot WL may be better from the transportation standpoint. Now whether the $1K is worth that I guess that depends on you and your wife.

Upvote 0

DisneyJunkie

Immediately I would have to say yes, if not from experience, then from the fact that you are comparing a top-tier WDW resort with one on the bottom-tier of WDW resorts. Basically in comparing the WL with POP, it's like wondering if you'd have a better stay at a Hilton than your local rundown Motel 6.

Most decidely, you'd have a more enjoyable stay at the Wilderness Lodge. Part of it is the fact that you don't (at the WL) have to walk great distances to get to different parts of the resort, or wait on a bus to come get you to take you from your room back to the main building with the food and shopping and so forth. Also, if you find (as my wife and I do) that you spend a great deal of your trip at the Magic Kingdom, traveling to it is much more convenient from the Wilderness Lodge (directly by boat) than from the Pop Century resort. WL also has a bus stop where (like every other resort) you may have to wait for the bus you want to come along. The convenience though, is that at WL, you won't have to make 15 different stops before the bus finally leaves the resort and goes out to the park.

If you've stayed at Pop and then stay at WL, I don't think you'd really want to go back to Pop. WL spoils you.

*** Edit: Sorry, realized later that you were asking about Coronado Springs and not Pop Century. My bad. Actually, though, the setup of Pop and CS are basically the same thing. You have to walk long distances, have to wait on more buses just to get around the resort, and the rooms open up to the outside and not into a hallway in the resort itself (a pet peeve of my wife's with the moderate and value resorts).

Upvote 0
There are advantages and disadvantages to both options:

I am an absolutely biased person because WL is my favorite resort probably anywhere in the world. The lobby alone is stunning and I love the amenities, the food, the rooms, and the pool. The bus transportation is superior to me, simply because there is only one stop. This may cause bigger crowds in one place, but you get on and go straight to your destination rather than having to wait to go to several other stops at bigger spread out resorts like CSR. And since your kids are younger and midday breaks are pretty much guaranteed, a nicer room may be worth the moola when you're sitting or sleeping in it for several hours each day. However, as another poster mentioned, given your kid's ages, they might not get as much enjoyment out of the actual resort as they would in a few years when they are 3 and 6. To them, its just a room. When they get older, they can appreciate the actual hotel more, and maybe that $1000 price tag would be worth it.

On the other hand, even though you would only be staying at a Mod (I've been spoiled with deluxe for most of my life), that $1000 you would spend staying in a nicer place would go a long way in making your vacation more magical. Eat at a nicer restaurant, go to another character meal, buy some more souvineers... there's a lot that $1000 can do in Disney. CSR would have multiple bus stops, and that's how you would get everywhere you want to go. Depending on what building you get, this could add a lot of time to your travel, and the bus could already be full by the time it gets to you if it's the last stop. WL singular stop is the advantage here. Plus keep in mind that if you are not in a location near the main building, it could be quite a walk to get to the food and the pool. BUT the transportation lines would be less than at POP or other values, and the rooms would be comparable to those at the WL in terms of size and comfort. CSR would most likely suit your needs just fine, and you'll have a great vacation. As many say, it's only a room and a place to sleep, your real focus should be the parks.

If it were me, I would probably just upgrade to CSR right now and shoot for WL when your kids get a little older, because it IS worth spending the money to stay in at least once. I hope you have a magical vacation. :wave:

Upvote 0

slappy magoo

Because Coronado is the most "convention-friendly" of the moderate resorts (with meeting space and, unlike the other mods, a gym), that's probably why they specify their lounge is business-casual. It's also the only mod with a dance club, for pretty much the same reason. It's still very family-friendly, but you have those adult options as well.

When it comes to buses, it's always a crap shoot. A resort with fewer rooms could, in theory, have fewer buses rotating through, too, regardless of whether it's Value, Moderate, Villa or Deluxe. So if bus service is a major concern, I say split the difference in savings, upgrade to the moderate of your choice (assuming they will all be about the same price as Coronado) and also rent a car, which should be cheaper than the $1000 upgrade cost to Wilderness. Use it to get everywhere except maybe MK (and if you choose one of the Port Orleans resorts, they have boat service to DtD, which I'd use instead of driving whenever possible). You get your lounge, and you avoid bus service a lot of the time, for only (presumably) a few hundred more than you are currently paying. Renting cars is usually cheapest if you get them at the airport, but if you'd rather take advantage of Disney's Magical Express, there are places to rent cars on-site, and they'll arrange to get you where the cars are and back to wherever you want to go after you drop the car off. You can opt to get a car after you arrive, and for only part of your trip, if you prefer.

Upvote 0

captainkidd

I always say, if the money isn't going to bother you, then say at the nicer hotel, and in this case, that's without a doubt the Wilderness Lodge. If you're gonna worry about the amount you're spending, then don't spend it.

BTW, Wilderness Lodge is my favorite resort, but does anyone else find the obsession some seem to have with their favorite resort a bit weird? I mean, having a prepared statement ready, saved and prepared to be pasted whenever someone asks about your favorite resort? :lookaroun

Upvote 0

KCheatle

I have stayed at the POP, Coronado and in 2 weeks I'll be at Wilderness. We upgraded to the Wilderness this time around becasue we are traveling with my 2 yo son and I need the convenience of the transportation to and from MK. My family always ends up there at night, and waiting in line for the buses while I try to juggle my 6 yo daughter and 2 yo son (who will definitely be asleep) while my hubby holds the double stroller was not an option.

Having said that, it was way more expensive than Coronado, but we'll see if it's worth it here soon I guess. Bascially, I could have stayed at Pop twice this year for the price we paid for WL.

Between Coronado and POP, it's a toss up depending on what's important to you.

Bus Stops: Coronado wins. There are 4 bus stops around the hotel so, it's a lot more convenient to catch the bus and to walk to your room at night. Plus, in the parks, the Cornoado bus stop is always right after the deluxes because it's a Conference hotel and so I think they try to make it more convenient for business guests.

Ease of hotel: Tied. Both are equally terriblly huge properties. No matter which hotel you go with, getting breakfast in the morning is no easy task!

Food: POP. I'm not sure how much "food" is a part of your trip, but my daughter and hubby actually preferred POP's cafeteria to Coronado's. We ended up there at night eating ice cream and grabbing cupcakes or a late pizza. Coronado's cafeteria isn't as diverse I guess I would say.

Pool: Coronado - has a slide. Guess that's the only real perk.

Rooms: Coronado - it is nice to have that sliding door to block light so you can get ready in the morning and/or clean up before you go to bed without waking others in the room. Also, Coronoado had a refrigerator which was nice. I'm not sure if POP has that now, but it didn't when we stayed there.

We had a very positive experience in both hotels and would absolutely stay in both of them again.

At the end of the day, you're in Disney World, so it'll be a great experience no matter what!!

Upvote 0

RonAnnArbor

As others have mentioned, CS is considered a "convention resort" -- the plus side is, way more adults and a lot less kids. The minus side is that the whole place feels like a Marriott Hotel or a Vegas resort, and to me misses the magic....

WL is among the best resorts on property, and well worth the money.

That being said -- 1K is 1K, and probably not worth the upgrade.

One final option: you can CALL Disney instead of just going by online rates, and sometimes you find that they magically have "special rates" pop up at the Deluxes if they are not at least a certain percentage full..

Twice now, I have upgraded from POFQ (my favorite "home resort") to WL for only a few hundred dollars more....but that is NOT offered online, that is something that pops up on the phone reservation system only.

Upvote 0

dsdmbU2

Coincidentally WL was our last resort (in Jan.) and CS is our next (Aug.) First time staying at WL for us and it was awesome. The kids loved the bunk beds, boat transportation to MK, the lobby is gorgeous, pool area is great!! Roaring Forks was very convenient for the QS meals/snacks. We didn't do Whispering Canyon this time but have ate there in the past and it's just a great atmosphere. Can't go wrong at WL!!

Upvote 0

bethymouse

Wl

if you like MK, then WL is for you- the boats are a nice change of pace and a relaxing way to get to MK.
otherwise, buses can be a bit of a pain, but oh what a nice stay you'll have @ WL. "WELCOME HOME" is what they say to you @ check in. Good luck!:)

Upvote 0

kmac77

Wow!

You are choosing between our two favorite resorts. Everyone is right....if you're going to stay at a deluxe, WL is the one to stay at. My wife always says her favorite ride at WDW is the boat from MK to the Lodge! Food selection suffers at WL, as Roaring Forks (IMHO) sorely lacks in the selection department. More so than the Contemp. or Poly. Pool is smaller than the Mod's, but that is to be expected. You're paying for proximity to the parks. CS, on the other hand, even though it is a convention resort, we love the atmosphere/ambience. We love the Pepper Market for its selection, and for us, nothing beats the Dig Site (pool). Best pool on property (again IMHO). One thing that people never mention, and it's something that I love about CS, is that it is on the main road between AK, HS and EP. It's < 10 min to each, with MK being the longest drive at about 15, but have 3 of the 4 that close is very, very nice! I'd say save your $$$, and stay at CS to give it a go, I think you'll love it, and then next time splurge, and stay at the WL.

Upvote 0

dsdmbU2

Wow!

You are choosing between our two favorite resorts. Everyone is right....if you're going to stay at a deluxe, WL is the one to stay at. My wife always says her favorite ride at WDW is the boat from MK to the Lodge! Food selection suffers at WL, as Roaring Forks (IMHO) sorely lacks in the selection department. More so than the Contemp. or Poly. Pool is smaller than the Mod's, but that is to be expected. You're paying for proximity to the parks. CS, on the other hand, even though it is a convention resort, we love the atmosphere/ambience. We love the Pepper Market for its selection, and for us, nothing beats the Dig Site (pool). Best pool on property (again IMHO). One thing that people never mention, and it's something that I love about CS, is that it is on the main road between AK, HS and EP. It's < 10 min to each, with MK being the longest drive at about 15, but have 3 of the 4 that close is very, very nice! I'd say save your $$$, and stay at CS to give it a go, I think you'll love it, and then next time splurge, and stay at the WL.

Agreed, something special about that trip from WL to MK and vice-versa!!

Upvote 0

emcclay

Immediately I would have to say yes, if not from experience, then from the fact that you are comparing a top-tier WDW resort with one on the bottom-tier of WDW resorts. Basically in comparing the WL with POP, it's like wondering if you'd have a better stay at a Hilton than your local rundown Motel 6.

Most decidely, you'd have a more enjoyable stay at the Wilderness Lodge. Part of it is the fact that you don't (at the WL) have to walk great distances to get to different parts of the resort, or wait on a bus to come get you to take you from your room back to the main building with the food and shopping and so forth. Also, if you find (as my wife and I do) that you spend a great deal of your trip at the Magic Kingdom, traveling to it is much more convenient from the Wilderness Lodge (directly by boat) than from the Pop Century resort. WL also has a bus stop where (like every other resort) you may have to wait for the bus you want to come along. The convenience though, is that at WL, you won't have to make 15 different stops before the bus finally leaves the resort and goes out to the park.

If you've stayed at Pop and then stay at WL, I don't think you'd really want to go back to Pop. WL spoils you.

*** Edit: Sorry, realized later that you were asking about Coronado Springs and not Pop Century. My bad. Actually, though, the setup of Pop and CS are basically the same thing. You have to walk long distances, have to wait on more buses just to get around the resort, and the rooms open up to the outside and not into a hallway in the resort itself (a pet peeve of my wife's with the moderate and value resorts).

You make it sound like they will be trekking across the whole country to get somewhere if they stay at CSR. You have to walk all over WDW. So, stop it. CSR is a great resort to stay at and I have absolutely no complaints. Why do you need to wait on buses to get around the resort? Please explain.. :wave:

Upvote 0

Buzz2001

You make it sound like they will be trekking across the whole country to get somewhere if they stay at CSR. You have to walk all over WDW. So, stop it. CSR is a great resort to stay at and I have absolutely no complaints. Why do you need to wait on buses to get around the resort? Please explain.. :wave:
You can also have long walks to the rooms at WL, they are just inside hallways.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom