Wilderness Lodge vs. Boardwalk

Dave B

Original Poster
I know that Wilderness has the boat to MK and I know that Boardwalk has the boats to Epcot and HS as well as the easy gondola access at Epcots entrance, I know you can see the fireworks from MK at the Wilderness and I know you can see Epcots and HS fireworks from the boardwalk, besides that, which hotel would you stay at and why? Thx for your opinions

BASS

I know that Wilderness has the boat to MK and I know that Boardwalk has the boats to Epcot and HS as well as the easy gondola access at Epcots entrance, I know you can see the fireworks from MK at the Wilderness and I know you can see Epcots and HS fireworks from the boardwalk, besides that, which hotel would you stay at and why? Thx for your opinions

It's close, but Boardwalk.

First, I hate the buses and try to avoid it if possible. At the Boardwalk, you can avoid it for two park days whereas at Wilderness, only one.

Also, the Boardwalk and the nearby vicinity has really nice restaurants within walking distance. It's also a nice spot to take a late-night stroll.

The Wilderness is themed really well through, better than Boardwalk IMO.

epcotisbest

Wilderness Lodge is probably our second favorite of all. We like Boardwalk just fine and find the clown pool amusing.
The theme at WL is pleasant, the grounds are nice and both pools are good, but location does not really play a big part for us, as resort time has become more important than park time after visiting for more than 30 years now. So, for us WL over Boardwalk.

righttrack

So basically it's like this. Boardwalk is a great option if you're going to find yourselves spending your evenings in Epcot, in World Showcase and then spill back onto the Boardwalk for late activities, bar-hopping, etc. These days MK is a very late park. So many nights you can spend there, so the need for the Boardwalk as in the past (when park hours were shorter many times of years) isn't as great. If you're like most people, you'll find yourself spending nights (after dinner) in MK rather than Epcot (except when you have a dinner in WS itself) Boardwalk is a great option to park hop between Epcot and HS in record time. Given the Star Wars content, you might want to do more of that, or maybe not.

That said, I'm a big fan of Wilderness Lodge and Animal Kingdom Lodge. The grounds and decor are just beautiful, they have a central lobby, Boardwalk's "lobby" is the boardwalk itself.

Weather_Lady

Wilderness Lodge has the edge for me, just because the theming is so much more visually appealing, and the atmosphere is more relaxed (plus it doesn't have a Pennywise Pool to haunt your nightmares).

That being said, I'd consider a split stay, visiting HS and Epcot while at Boardwalk, and MK and AK while at Wilderness Lodge. We did something similar a couple of years ago, splitting our stay between Beach Club and the Polynesian, and loved it. :)

Last edited:

Dave B

Original Poster
Wilderness Lodge has the edge for me, just because the theming is so much more visually appealing, and the atmosphere is more relaxed (plus it doesn't have a Pennywise Pool to haunt your nightmares).

That being said, I'd consider a split stay, visiting HS and Epcot while at Boardwalk, and MK and AK while at Wilderness Lodge. We did something similar a couple of years ago, splitting our stay between Beach Club and the Polynesian, and loved it. :)
The split stay is hard because of the free dining package, it becomes so much more expensive to have two 5 day park hoppers, rather than one 10 day park hopper

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
WL has the better theme. That being said, for me, Boardwalk edges it out due to the "walking factor". It's nice to just get out of the hotel and be able to walk to EPCOT or DHS without having to worry about bus or boat times.

Club Cooloholic

I think it depends on what kind of WDW tourist you are. I used to be all about the parks, but we have been enough that we don't sweat missing a ride here and there. If you plan on hitting one park in the morning and another at night, I think the clear edge is Boardwalk. Being able to walk to two parks is wonderful...that said. Be prepared for walking a lot more, other than the boat, which I seemed to miss by 2 mins everytime during our Beach Club stay, you gotta hoof it
If you plan to do some relaxing at the resort more, WL seems like a much cooler option.

correcaminos

They are like comparing apples and oranges honestly.

You can easily walk to Epcot and DHS from the Boardwalk. We do it all the time. The vibe there is noisier and more entertaining.

WL is so laid back in feel - absolute opposite of Boardwalk. Boat to MK and bus every where else.

BW does have a better pool IMO, by far. Activities are about the same at both. Views of fireworks from WL are really kind of crappy, but you do get the EWP. The theme at WL is top notch, BW pales in comparison on that.

TPSou

We just stayed at Beach Club at Christmas and have stayed at Wilderness Lodge, and between those two we much preferred Wilderness Lodge. Being able to walk to Epcot and HS is nice, but the Boardwalk area just isn't that pleasant to hang around in and the food options aren't fantastic unless you're planning on having Table Service meals all the time (we tend to prefer having Quick Service).

Wilderness Lodge has a beautiful boat ride to Magic Kingdom, incredible grounds, it's surprisingly compact so everything in the hotel is close together, there's a great pool and an ok (slightly quieter) pool, and Geyser Point is one of my favourite Quick Service locations in the hotels. The buses can take a while sometimes but we never had an issue with them.

Overall I'd only say Boardwalk would be worth it if you are planning on going for lots of evening drinks/food at Epcot, then the convenience might be a bigger deal. Other than that I think Wilderness Lodge is better in every way.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom