Wilderness Lodge - SERIOUSLY????

p.a.m.

I've never understood the allure of getting your hair done on vacation. Don't most people go to the same hair stylist at home? What would make someone decide to spend some of their vacation time at Disney spending twice as much money on getting their hair cut?
It doesn't have to be a hair cut. A lot of women get a blow out or styling service before a night out. There are plenty of restaurants and lounges at Disney where dressing up a bit is appropriate, not to mention all of the private events held at the resorts. It's not just women using these services either. There are well groomed men who get frequent trims and/or enjoy a professional shave. The salons on property also provide waxing and nail services.

captainkidd

Original Poster
What does it have to do with DVC? Yacht Club has a hair salon and there isn't DVC at Yacht Club.

Beach Club Villas.

I didn't make the comment but I would guess the point is the new DVC project at the Lodge, for the serious WL fan, has not been favorable for the non-DVC guest. Much like the DVC changes to the Polynesian.

captainkidd

Original Poster
And what changes that DVC made caused the Poly to be worse??

Cutting room inventory in half.
Getting rid of the majority of beach space.

The other changes can't be directly the fault of DVC. Just gave Disney the opportunity to screw a few other things up.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Cutting room inventory in half.
Getting rid of the majority of beach space.

The other changes can't be directly the fault of DVC. Just gave Disney the opportunity to screw a few other things up.
Beach space - ok, give you that one.
Cutting room inventory? Well, if those rooms had been fully booked and bringing in hundreds of dollars every night, they would not have switched them over. Think about it. There were 380 rooms converted out of the 847 - and they can still be rented for cash guests as well. At an average of $500 per night, each room would bring in over $190,000 per year, and 380 rooms would add up to over $72,000,000 per year. The total points that Disney can sell are 4,032,720 at an average price of $175 comes out to a little over $700,000,000. Cash guests staying in the same rooms if they weren't converted over the 50 year DVC life would have brought in $3,600,000,000 or almost 4 times the amount that DVC will bring in. Hardly seems like a good plan to throw away $2.9 Billion dollars over 50 years. And that doesn't even take into account the millions spent on the changeover.

Anyway, it was converted because people weren't staying there, but DVC people will now.

captainkidd

Original Poster
The Polynesian had the highest occupancy rate of any Disney Deluxe Resort. However, DVC is a much more efficient cash cow for Disney. They get all your money up front. Unfortunately, Disney has been thinking very short term as of late. DVC used to be added on in a non-obtrusive way by simply putting an addition on to a resort but not touching the actual resort itself. That all went out the window at Jambo House, to a smaller extent. They were smart enough not to mess much with the GF, but when it came to the Polynesian and WL, all bets were off. Now we're going to see it with the moderates.

I've never understood the allure of getting your hair done on vacation. Don't most people go to the same hair stylist at home? What would make someone decide to spend some of their vacation time at Disney spending twice as much money on getting their hair cut?

I grew out my hair for my wedding but I hate having long hair. We went on our honeymoon the day after and there was no time for me to go to a hair salon between the wedding and our trip.

Ordinarily I would get my hair cut at my usual salon, but I was so desperate to have my hair cut I would have paid almost anything.

I ended up getting my hair cut at a salon at the outlets because I ended up there for a different reason, but I would have gone to the salon at the GF had I known about it in a heartbeat.

MaryJaneP

I grew out my hair for my wedding but I hate having long hair.........
......I ended up getting my hair cut at a salon at the outlets because I ended up there for a different reason, but I would have gone to the salon at the GF had I known about it in a heartbeat.

Hasn't MK had a barber shop since it opened (1971)? Is it still there? Must you use a salon?

ToTBellHop

Hasn't MK had a barber shop since it opened (1971)? Is it still there? Must you use a salon?
They don't have many services at the Harmony Barbershop. Even Supercuts has more options. But not on Main Street USA.

As an owner at Boulder Ridge, I don't understand all the whining coming mostly from people who haven't been to WL in the last month to judge. You can still book a room at the Lodge. There will likely be fewer discounts but that was never a given. My family enjoys the upgrades to the main pool. We are getting a new pool which looks nice. The new counter service and bar are gorgeous and the theming in the overall area is great. Cabins actually look nice and the trees are coming back, as is the nature trail.

So as far as I can tell, we are getting improved dining and amenities. And all they actually added are 26 cabins which will produce a negligible increase in guest count.

Last edited:

disney4life2008

Good question. Now for men, i understand. There have been times where i have wanted a trim on vacation but that is quick and easy. For women, they have to spend countless hours in any one place. So much for vacation. But its relaxing? I don't find spas or anything of the like relaxing. I went to one place to get a pedicure and the woman told me to use Vaseline. This was after paying $60. I am straight

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
They don't have many services at the Harmony Barbershop. Even Supercuts has more options. But not on Main Street USA.

As an owner at Boulder Ridge, I don't understand all the whining coming mostly from people who haven't been to WL in the last month to judge. You can still book a room at the Lodge. There will likely be fewer discounts but that was never a given. My family enjoys the upgrades to the main pool. We are getting a new pool which looks nice. The new counter service and bar are gorgeous and the theming in the overall area is great. Cabins actually look nice and the trees are coming back, as is the nature trail.

So as far as I can tell, we are getting improved dining and amenities. And all they actually added are 26 cabins which will produce a negligible increase in guest count.
There you go, bringing reality into the discussion. I've never understood the whining and complaining about something before you even see the finished product, but that seems to be the norm around here lately. Didn't use to be like that here.

squidward

There you go, bringing reality into the discussion. I've never understood the whining and complaining about something before you even see the finished product, but that seems to be the norm around here lately. Didn't use to be like that here.

Eh, I don't buy that. If you've been to one place enough times, it's not hard to tell by pics and videos if you like changes or not. The Lodge changes aren't a big deal. Only thing I don't like is the loss of more rooms to DVC, but for me, it's more of an issue of not liking the direction the company is going in. I think the new studios and villas are ugly, but it doesn't affect the look of the Lodge itself, so I don't care. And I can tell the new bar/restaurant they opened looks like a perfect fit. But I do think the Salon is in a wacky location. Would make more sense to move it where the Cub's Den is and move the Cub's Den where Trout Pass is, but whatever. Just opinions.

As for the Poly, I've seen it in person, and the changes aren't good. Lobby lost it's charm (or much of it) and the walkaway to the pool lost it's charm by getting rid of the lovely stream for a big area of grass. Don't understand that or the getting rid of hammocks and swings at all.

squidward

I don't see any changes to Boulder Ridge at all, which is fine by me. I've stayed at OKW, BR, Boardwalk and BCV and BR had the nicest building and rooms, hands down. Obviously, I'm sure Poly and GF must give it a run for it's money.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
But I do think the Salon is in a wacky location. Would make more sense to move it where the Cub's Den is and move the Cub's Den where Trout Pass is, but whatever. Just opinions.

As for the Poly, I've seen it in person, and the changes aren't good. Lobby lost it's charm (or much of it) and the walkaway to the pool lost it's charm by getting rid of the lovely stream for a big area of grass. Don't understand that or the getting rid of hammocks and swings at all.
I thought the salon was only a rumour? Hadn't seen anything that states it is a done deal.

Sorry, but have to agree to disagree on the Poly lobby. We prefer the newer version over the old one.

If you have seen kids playing in the grassy areas of the GF, you would understand that change. Kids can't play in the stream, but they can in the grassy areas. The grassy areas at the GF were very busy with kids playing in them along with people relaxing in them.

I do agree on the hammocks and swings. There was really no reason to get rid of those.

p.a.m.

I thought the salon was only a rumour? Hadn't seen anything that states it is a done deal.
It's definitely mentioned in the literature for buying into the new DVC. I was reviewing everything I could find over the weekend and it's mentioned several times and is labeled on the new map.

CaptainAmerica

That's actually an inaccurate assessment of the situation. We get our daughter's hair cut at the Harmony Barber Shop every trip and it's cheaper than it would be to have it done at home.

The Poly lobby's "charm" was nostalgia-driven, and that's it. It looked, felt, and was extremely dated. Not to mention the odor.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
It's definitely mentioned in the literature for buying into the new DVC. I was reviewing everything I could find over the weekend and it's mentioned several times and is labeled on the new map.
Umm, there is absolutely nothing on the official DVC website about it, and it's definitely NOT on the map. Where are you seeing any of this?

ETA: There is also nothing listed on the resort amenities for this either.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom