Wilderness Lodge Refurbishment

Chars0704

ThAt is so good! We are going the week after Easter (teacher) and for 2 adults and 1 kid who’s 2 we are paying like 4K for a Tuesday - Saturday. (Includes 4 day park hopper and dining plan though).

This will be our last time for Disney until she’s 5 or so. Probably. I said that when we last year though and here we are again...

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
Any news on starting floor rehabs? I spent a bit of time on chat with Disney asking about the club level at the WL possibly being shut from Jan 25th onward....she said no nothing listed for rehab....hmmm but her reasoning came back that it was available for booking second week in February....wonder just how long it takes to do a floor? The club level would take even less as its just one short hallway, not the longer wing on other floors. That and unsure how much they are doing in terms of refurbishment. If they just paint and do carpet its one thing, furniture another and bathroom gutting would take much longer. No mentions of anything being done and I for one am looking forward to photos of a redone room in my favorite resort! :happy:

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
As we reported on our Facebook page, Humphrey's Unofficial Wilderness Lodge Pages, the Wilderness Lodge is going to get a refurbishment to the main lodge rooms. It should start within the next 6-8 weeks and last several months.

Any signs of refurb on your recent trip Humprey?!!:angelic:

rnese

Any new specifics on the room refers? Will they be keeping the "look" of the current rooms, or will they be moving towards the look of the DVC units in the other wing?

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
Any new specifics on the room refers? Will they be keeping the "look" of the current rooms, or will they be moving towards the look of the DVC units in the other wing?

Goodness I sure hope not....I wouldn't think so....but it remains to be seen. I actually love how its themed right now....freshen up a bit maybe but...:angelic:

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
Don't think anything has begun yet, Humpheys facebook page says he thinks it has been pushed off a few months....

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
I had been looking at the newer refurb for the Grand Californian at Disneyland. Built by same architect as the WL, it too had a similar look prior to refurb....the update is nice in my opinion, but more modern and not as themed as has been the trend across the board at Disney resorts past couple of years.
GC-D404.jpg

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
I like the new look and that they used Chip and Dale subtly in the treescape....can't see in picture but the former carpeting looked the same as the WL to me, the subtle green pine branches on a tan background. :happy: That AND I LOVE the newer walk in showers at the GC...alas the theming is lacking....but prefer shower as I would never ever take a bath at a Disney resort....just saying... :angelic:

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
So this could be what we are in for....the wood trim with the uplighting is nice to tie the wood tones together but it doesn't shout arts and crafts décor as much as the previous room, something is missing in the detailing....still not as stark as some of the refurbs just needs another layer of theming imho.

As for WL the White bedding is already there but for the pillow and skimpy throw we have at bed ends....and the entry ways were made to "wood" look last refurb.....what will become of our beloved Wilderness Lodge with the remaining rooms non DVC......time will tell!!!:cool:

Last edited:

westie

We are DLR AP'ers heading to WDW in a month and staying at WL and this is exactly what we were afraid of! But it is another resort off our bucket list and the cafe' has biscuits and gravy!

aladdin2007

So this could be what we are in for....the wood trim with the uplighting is nice to tie the wood tones together but it doesn't shout arts and crafts décor. White bedding is already there but for the pillow and skimpy throw we have at bed ends....what will become of our beloved Wilderness Lodge with the remaining rooms non DVC......time will tell!!!:cool:

I do like the look of that and actually would love to see that here, but having a hard time believing a nice design as that will be done. They seem intent on just going generic everywhere. Im just basing that on all the other recent room rehabs at WDW, which I am not very impressed with so far.

aladdin2007

We are DLR AP'ers heading to WDW in a month and staying at WL and this is exactly what we were afraid of! But it is another resort off our bucket list and the cafe' has biscuits and gravy!

room design changes have not happened yet at WL, but are coming apparently in a few months? I think it was pushed back.

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
Hmm we need some investigative work on this.....next week I will attempt to reach an actual CM and try to get to the truth....:angelic:

Linus van Pelt

So does anyone know if the "hotel" side of the hotel has actually gotten refurbished yet?

I was DEEPLY disappointed with the changes they made to the lights and carpet for the lobby on the DVC side. I wasn't thrilled with the decor of the rooms either, but those changes did not clash with the overall ambience of the Lodge the way the chrome LED lights do.

As some point I heard that original decor is the province of imagineers and that renovations are done by maintenance. I am not sure if that's true or not, but it seems believable given the outcomes of some recent renos.

note2001

So does anyone know if the "hotel" side of the hotel has actually gotten refurbished yet?

I was DEEPLY disappointed with the changes they made to the lights and carpet for the lobby on the DVC side. I wasn't thrilled with the decor of the rooms either, but those changes did not clash with the overall ambience of the Lodge the way the chrome LED lights do.

As some point I heard that original decor is the province of imagineers and that renovations are done by maintenance. I am not sure if that's true or not, but it seems believable given the outcomes of some recent renos.
Good as time as any to mention that the original decor of the lodge, everything from the furniture to the textiles and was designed by the same architecture team who designed the resort, headed by Peter H. Dominick Jr. (RIP) He was a stickler for theme details and traveled to locations around the globe to research exactly what should be in place.

The upgrades are not done by maintenance, but by a resort design team. This team does not invest time into theme research like the architect did. Since they don't have the same vision as the architect, and his firm is no longer consulted, the changes do come across different.

Note, the hotel upgrades are not to be confused with the DVC upgrades, those are entirely separate. Whereas DVC tends to cut corners on upgrades, from what I've seen, the hotel side invests in upgrades.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom