Wilderness Lodge Resort Room Refurbishment 2020 2021

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
Original Poster
In the Parks
No
1599156913071.png

Liking the leatherlike headboard of wheat, the little pullout reading lights but that wall sings....they must have gotten that from some Motawi tile art like my Mom used to have....MOTAWI 8X8 PINE LANDSCAPE - VALLEY (SUMMER) DECORATIVE TILE: Design Quest but with different tones...... :cool:

Last edited:

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Ok so this is the bathroom and mirror to left is sliding door to close off the sink area....that's a first.....I think the artwork you see on far right goes through the bathroom wall and can be lit! Neat window!

1599151108773.png

Last edited:

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
Original Poster
In the Parks
No
1599150793808.png
Love the new hallway carpet that retained some hidden mickeys! Oh but now that I think on it, I believe this was already in place when I visited in early 2019. I see how much better it matches the new décor though.

Last edited:

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
Original Poster
In the Parks
No
1599151409526.png
1615404783977.png

Another pic I saw earlier had two nesting tables here....like the bullethead trim. No more carpet either....cleaner but wonder how sound absorbing it will be? That bag is cute but does not match the color scheme.....:oops: In this other photos it shows a smaller nesting table that goes under this one...... but this was the honeymoon suite testing decor from earlier.....same chairs and tables in new regular rooms.....cool.

Last edited:

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
Original Poster
In the Parks
No
I loved the original furniture though made by Old Hickory.....they made the original furniture for the Old Faithful Inn at Yellowstone National Park that is still in use today, hope they got a order for this refurb, and honestly I thought about it, the newer DVC units and cabins are even MORE modern with very little cute references and theming.....this is a nice balance between the old and the new imho.

Old Hickory Furniture History

Last edited:
To me, it's just a bit too modern. The whole bedding wall looks like they designed it for the Grand Californian (where it would actually work well) and thought they could put it in the other "similar" lodge. Having stayed at the WL in 1996, 2012, and 2015 (and Fort Wilderness in the '80s and early '90s, and the GC in 2013), it's moving farther from its design intent/theme each time. The last time I stayed there it looked like your photo in the other thread (crown molding, carpet, white bedspread with colored runner). While it was still nice and enjoyable and somewhat in theme then, it wasn't quite as "homey" and relaxing as I remember from '96. This new design looks very busy and only seems to fit the theme of the WL by including "trees." (If the pattern behind the beds and coffee maker was just a dark red color, is there anything left to communicate that this is the WL? It would kind of look like a Holiday Inn I stayed at in Dallas several years ago.)

Also, can I say I hate the trend of removing all non-white soft surfaces from the rooms? Laminate flooring and minimal white bedding may be cheaper than custom carpet and bedspreads and "easier" to clean, but it's about as inviting as a hospital room.

I worry about the sterilization of the WL after seeing the photos of the now DVC half (along with what was planned for "Reflections" :hungover: and how Riviera turned out). If I wanted to stay in a generic looking room with minimal theming, I could experience that anywhere. The qualities that made staying at the WL a unique experience have been removed layer by layer. (Go watch the episodes of "Great Hotels" on Youtube for the original feel of the WL (and GF, YC/BC, AKL, and GC). Those give me the same nostalgia feelings that Martin's EPCOT Center videos do.)

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Yes I hear you, I have stayed there at least 8 times over the past 12 years.....my favorite refurb was the last one too.....but I feel they did a better job updating the lobby and keeping in theme than the rooms. I was so afraid they would take it to the level of the cabins.....but they did not. I like rustic elegance with a lot of texture.....can't tell if the wall is flat or 3D, but the lamps have a bit, the chairs some....can't wait to see it in person.

I was supposed to be going to the Grand Californian this coming week for first time....first trip ever to Disneyland, even have tickets.....sigh.....yes it is more arts and crafts leaning, than andirondack rustic......but I will go.....someday. A darker hue of rusty red IS missing...….and I love more theming too.:angelic:💕

Last edited:

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
Original Poster
In the Parks
No
1599162294153.png
I like the stone floor but think they could have added something muted Disney rustic lodge to the niche at least.....this is one of the honeymoon suites.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom