Wilderness Lodge or Wilderness Lodge Cabins?

ThunderRebel

Original Poster
We've never stayed at a Magic Kingdom resort before, but was considering it for next year. For those who have stayed at Wilderness Lodge, what are the main differences between the Lodge and the Cabins? What I'm really interested in learning is how long is the walk from a cabin to the main lodge, and how far are the bus stops from the cabins? While the seclusion and additional space look nice, I also don't want to feel inconvenienced. For the Lodge rooms, what recommendations does anyone have as far as being near or away from something? We'll be going with our teenage daughter, and perhaps, possibly, our college-aged son next December - Christmas decorations! What are some of your favorite things to do at the Lodge itself? Rather than getting up at dawn and racing around the parks, it would be a pleasant change to actually hang out and enjoy the resort itself. Anyone have experience at Wilderness that they would like to share?
It makes me a bit nervous trying a new resort, but don't want our Disney trips to get a repetitive feel if we stay at the same place over and over.

Skibum1970

Costs are the big detractor. Aside from that, you have a gorgeous cabin, better privacy, and all that. Still, you'll pay 6 times what a room will cost.

correcaminos

The cabins honestly greatly vary with the distance to the main lodge. The main lodge is all connected so you do not have to go outside. The cabins are not far to kind of far away depending.

My bigger issue with the cabin size and how they sleep groups. We enjoy these types of accommodations but realize 4 or so is our limit in them. With your kids I would say it's all size dependent. There isn't much room when that single bed is down in the 2nd bedroom.

epcotisbest

Here is a map showing the cabins in relationship to the main lodge. As you can see, some of the cabins are kinda far away, but I don't think it is a deal breaker as the whole area is sorta compact compared to some of the more spread out resorts. If we could afford it, we would not hesitate to stay in one of these cabins. We have stayed in the villas a few times and the walk over to the main lobby and restaurants at the lodge, or the bus stops, is only a couple of minutes, maybe three, at most.
Of course, if we were spending that much per night for a cabin, we would never leave the resort, just stay there and enjoy it and not venture to the parks.

AB31A0C8-15B5-45BF-9ED9-9A82FBC3D36E.jpeg

Last edited:

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
The Copper Creek cabins behind Boulder Ridge Villas (the original DVC resort at WL) aren't much further from the bus stop than Boulder Ridge. The other group of cabins are behind the Main Lodge by the boat dock. While convenient for taking the boat to MK or Ft. Wilderness, it would be a long walk to the bus stops.

WL is stunning at Christmas, Huge decorated tree in the lobby. Garlands strung along the railings. And a large fireplace in the lobby. I wouldn't stay anywhere but WL that time of year.

As someone mentioned, the cabins are very expensive - and will be even more so that time of year. Prices for Christmas week next week are $3400/night starting the 21st through NYE. And will be even more expensive next year. As they are part of the new DVC resort, you might have problems securing a reservation. Here's the floor plan.

Cabin-FFE-Plan-Cabin-FFE-16x9.jpg

ThunderRebel

Original Poster
Thank you for the information. Maybe I was thinking there were more humble cabins at Wilderness Lodge. These prices are outrageous! Looks like we'll stick to the Lodge itself.

DisneyJoe

Thank you for the information. Maybe I was thinking there were more humble cabins at Wilderness Lodge. These prices are outrageous! Looks like we'll stick to the Lodge itself.
Perhaps you are thinking of the cabins at the Ft Wilderness campgrounds? Those are much more reasonable in pricing, but the distance between Wilderness Lodge and the campgrounds is at least a mile, if not more.

correcaminos

The 6 person cabins are at Ft Wilderness. Definitely more reasonably priced. There are some great videos on YouTube. Not very centrally located to much but you can rent golf carts there.

Networth

Cabins are private and beautiful and if its cold enough (very well could be in December), you have the fireplace and hot tube. Technically my biggest con is sleeping arrangements. They are expensive, are you DVC or cash?

EDIT: Saw your update.

Dreaming of Disney World

I stayed at Wilderness Lodge when I was a kid. I remember enjoying the large pool with a water slide, renting bikes and riding them on the nature trail until we came to a goat petting zoo, and watching the night time show (some kind of light show on the water) from our balcony. This was back in 1994 so I don't know what's still there, but we enjoyed the lodge a lot.

Gitson Shiggles

There was me, that is Mickey, and my three droogs
I stayed at Wilderness Lodge when I was a kid. I remember enjoying the large pool with a water slide, renting bikes and riding them on the nature trail until we came to a goat petting zoo, and watching the night time show (some kind of light show on the water) from our balcony. This was back in 1994 so I don't know what's still there, but we enjoyed the lodge a lot.

The Electrical Water Pageant (the light show on the water) is still around. A petting zoo used to be at Fort Wilderness. You can still ride a bike from Wilderness Lodge to Fort Wilderness.

wlodge_man

We've never stayed at a Magic Kingdom resort before, but was considering it for next year. For those who have stayed at Wilderness Lodge, what are the main differences between the Lodge and the Cabins? What I'm really interested in learning is how long is the walk from a cabin to the main lodge, and how far are the bus stops from the cabins? While the seclusion and additional space look nice, I also don't want to feel inconvenienced. For the Lodge rooms, what recommendations does anyone have as far as being near or away from something? We'll be going with our teenage daughter, and perhaps, possibly, our college-aged son next December - Christmas decorations! What are some of your favorite things to do at the Lodge itself? Rather than getting up at dawn and racing around the parks, it would be a pleasant change to actually hang out and enjoy the resort itself. Anyone have experience at Wilderness that they would like to share?
It makes me a bit nervous trying a new resort, but don't want our Disney trips to get a repetitive feel if we stay at the same place over and over.

So we've stayed at WL 4 times I believe. The first 2 times we chose the WL was its location to the MK and able to get back to rest the kids and for the bunk bed rooms. Last 2 times is because we love it there!! I haven't been there since the cabins have been added, but I can speak to the Lodge itself. Your comment about just hanging out and enjoying the resort itself is what I love about WL. Just sitting in the lobby by the fireplace or watching the bubbling spring in the floor are very relaxing. I once was traveling for business and decided to drive to the Lodge just to hang out and have a quick meal. (needless to say, my wife was not at all pleased) I've seen photos and read reviews of the Christmas decorations and they look amazing. But even if you go at another time, you'll be in awe the 1st time you walk in the front door to the lobby. I like to watch the door to spot people arriving for their first visit - they all just look up and wander around like a kid in a toy store! ;-)

There are several quiet places at the front and rear of the lobby on the upper floors that you can access with their own seating area and fireplace. I once took my wife there with some wine just to sit and enjoy the lobby view. I easily could spend a day just at the Lodge without going to the parks. And the outdoor areas are themed beautifully with the waterfalls that lead to the pool area - nice places outside to sit and relax too away from the pool.

One thing I would like to offer; if you're not happy with the $$ of the WL and/or you have a 2nd resort in mind - stay at both and switch resorts during your stay. We did it once, not a big deal and Disney will move your luggage for you. Just stay at the "nicer" resort last.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom