Wilderness Lodge or POR.

James Clifton

Three days or more at either Resort.Price diff.of course.I've been to WL & liked it better than the Poly.Stayed 2 days at the POR & the bus system left a lot to be desired. Just wanted some feedback from those that have spent time at POR!I
Don't know if it's good or bad but the POR is water view!I can afford the WL ...but....the POR would be cheaper.Time is for early Dec.2012!
Jim

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
If you can afford WL and are willing to put out the extra $$ go for that, I love that resort (theming & restaurants). And since you will be there at Christmas time the lobby will be even more beautiful with the decorations. But POR wasn't that bad and had a cozy feel to it as well. You could use the money saved by staying at POR on something special or even just more souvenirs.

Upvote 0

luv

POR is nice enough, but WL is nicer. it's really a matter of how much money you want to spend, which only you can answer.

I've had a lot of water views and the POR ones are the worst. It's often a view of the canal where you either don't see the water or just see the little that is in the canal. If I had to pick one place to not bother with a water view, it would be POR. Beats looking at the parking lot, though.

Upvote 0

ml123_9

Personally, I would stay at POR and use the extra cash on something else. My opinion is a little biased since we always stay at POR, and we have never had an issue with the busses.

Upvote 0

real mad hatter

Well good morning.Having just returned from 14 days at PORS,this was our third vacation staying here,we love it,and we go every two years to WDW.However for 2014 we are considering WL. The main factor over the two resorts will be the almighty American dollar.So when the prices come out next year we will try & decide if the extra bucks at WL is worth it.Question I always ask myself is,how long do we spend at the resort and time spent in the room.

Upvote 0

ParentsOf4

I can't advise you financially; you know your situation better than anyone. However, regarding the 2 hotel options, you've stayed 2 nights at POR but have "been" to WL. If this means you've only visited the WL but not stayed there, I suggest you give this a try. You were dissatisfied with the POR bus transportation. You might enjoy taking a boat to the MK. Besides, the WL looks great with Christmas decorations!

I'm a big proponent of staying at "new" resorts. If there is a resort you've never stayed at that is within your price range, perhaps consider giving that a try.

Hope you have a great time during your next visit!

Upvote 0
They are such different experiences. I prefer the WL for the extra bit of money because
1) the boat to the MK is great, only a 20 yrd walk to the gate instead of that trek from the bus drop off.
2) indoor rooms, it's like staying at a nice hotel in lue of a motel with outside access doors.
3) it's 1 building, no buses to the lobby. Simply a short walk to anywhere, lobby restaurants, pool.
4) lots to do, pool party, movies on the beach, electric water pageant, hidden Mickey hunt etc... We actually have 3 days planned to just enjoy the lodge, no parks.

Upvote 0

ThinkTink721

We have stayed at POR several times...I really enjoyed my stay there.
It was scenic & quiet...there are lots of pools...they have a lot of activities...they have a nice gift shop & food court.
I know some people have complained about the bus system, but taking into account that POR shares buses with POFQ, it is not that bad...the longest we ever had to wait for a bus was about 10 minutes.
Also, I enjoy taking a ride to DTD on the boat from POR...it is very relaxing.

Upvote 0

ShookieJones

We need time for things to happen.
If it's a question about choosing between moderates I get it -- but when folks ask this question about choosing between moderates and deluxes and there is no "length of stay" factor then I don't understand the question! ;)

If you've got the dough and are willing to blow it - then ALWAYS do a Deluxe! :)

Listen -- You're not going to go wrong with PORS or POFQ as far moderates are concerned, I've stayed at both and they each have their own charm and that amazing Disney magic,
but if you can afford WL then absolutely do that!

To me this question needs to be in a "finance" section....not "trips and planning". ;)

Either way you're going to have the time of your life - ENJOY!

Upvote 0

DisneyDebNJ

I definately agree with other posters here. The deluxes are the way to go, if within that person's budget. Our first stay at Disney was at POFQ when it was Dixie Landings and we loved it, however, like you said, transportation left something to be desired. We normally stay at the Poly, and decided to do WL next trip. The only thing I can suggest, is if you opt to stay at WL, ask for a higher floor, as it can get pretty noisey from what I understand. Whichever you decide, Im sure you will have a terrific time!! Have fun planning, thats the best part!!!!

Upvote 0

ratherbeinwdw

Three days or more at either Resort.Price diff.of course.I've been to WL & liked it better than the Poly.Stayed 2 days at the POR & the bus system left a lot to be desired. Just wanted some feedback from those that have spent time at POR!I
Don't know if it's good or bad but the POR is water view!I can afford the WL ...but....the POR would be cheaper.Time is for early Dec.2012!
Jim
The trick to their bus service is to walk or drive to the North Depot for all parks except AK. That is the first pickup location and you will always get a seat by the time you leave the last depot. For AK walk over to south for pickup as that's where they pick up first for AK.
I would recommend you ask the bus driver to make sure they haven't changed the first pickup locations, but they've been that way a long time. Also, if you have waited more than 15 minutes for a pickup for a particular park, you can simply tell any driver who comes by, and they will call for a pickup.
They did that for us a early in the morning when not as many busses were running for a non EMH parks. That comes in handy when you have an early dining reservation (within reason). We didn't even have to ask the first time, the driver asked who we were waiting for and then called to make sure one was on the way. Some of the drivers are so very nice and helpful, but we did have a few bad ones. We put that up to dealing with so many, not necessarily nice people for weeks and months on end.
We always make it a point to give the cms, drivers, etc a smile and a hello. It might change their attitude for the whole day.
So if the bus pickup was the only problem you had with POR, then that is easily solved and could save you a decent amount of money over WL. If money's no object, then I would trust the ones who have said they would pick WL.

Upvote 0
I stayed at both and was not impressed with WL. It's nice, but as a "Deluxe Resort" I was not impressed. We stayed at POR the year b4 WL and we had an awesome time. We requested the Magnolia bldg and near a pool and they gave us an upgrade and granted our request. It is still our fav resort. We are going to be at Coronado in a few days so we'll see if that changes! ;)

Upvote 0

Spike-in-Berlin

After several mishaps at the Polynesian and Yacht Club and an absolutely terrible stay at the AKL the WL is the only deluxe resort where we, so far, had a 100% satisfying and unforgettable stay, we would always return there, it's again our favorite WDW resort. But at the moment a little too expensive so we will try the AoA during our next stay.

Upvote 0

Dennman

The trick to their bus service is to walk or drive to the North Depot for all parks except AK. That is the first pickup location and you will always get a seat by the time you leave the last depot. For AK walk over to south for pickup as that's where they pick up first for AK.
I would recommend you ask the bus driver to make sure they haven't changed the first pickup locations, but they've been that way a long time. Also, if you have waited more than 15 minutes for a pickup for a particular park, you can simply tell any driver who comes by, and they will call for a pickup.
They did that for us a early in the morning when not as many busses were running for a non EMH parks. That comes in handy when you have an early dining reservation (within reason). We didn't even have to ask the first time, the driver asked who we were waiting for and then called to make sure one was on the way. Some of the drivers are so very nice and helpful, but we did have a few bad ones. We put that up to dealing with so many, not necessarily nice people for weeks and months on end.
We always make it a point to give the cms, drivers, etc a smile and a hello. It might change their attitude for the whole day.
So if the bus pickup was the only problem you had with POR, then that is easily solved and could save you a decent amount of money over WL. If money's no object, then I would trust the ones who have said they would pick WL.

I just read that the South Depot near the main building is always the first stop for all parks
We are staying there in 3 weeks and just want to make sure

Upvote 0

ratherbeinwdw

I just read that the South Depot near the main building is always the first stop for all parks
We are staying there in 3 weeks and just want to make sure
That's what we were told also and had read in numerous places. We even planned our little route to the South Depot to get on first. Then, when we could never get a seat and had to stand --a problem for me because of a ruptured disk--, we asked a lady who was training a new driver, and she told me it was North first except for AK. It will be real easy for you to ask any driver. Then, you'll know where to start each day for the rest of your trip. Every time we got to the South Depot, those people would have to stand crammed in like sardines (June), except early morning. Probably they had read the same things we did. Don't ask a cm in the resort. Ask a driver, then you'll know for the rest of your stay where to start.
It very well could change by season. Don't waste two days standing shoulder to shoulder getting your toes stepped on, when you don't have to do so. If possible, never leave MK right after the fireworks or parade. The lines are pretty bad, and they pack you into the bus. Shop or sightsee for a while, then go to the bus.

Upvote 0

PolynesianPrincess

we've stayed at WL twice and we LOVED it both times. Next month we are staying at All Star Sports because this wasn't a planned trip and it's all we could afford but next September it will be back to WL. I love the fact that it is all one building and it's so compact. We had no transportation issues at all and the boat ride to MK can't be beat. We went in November when it was relatively slow and we never stood on the bus. The busses we NEVER full even at the time of park closing while all the other resorts had long lines. I'd say go for the gusto and if you CAN afford it, do it. The way we look at it is, if we can afford it now, do it because who knows what might happen next year!! :)

Upvote 0
WL is a great resort! I have stayed there twice & loved it! POR is nice in it's own way. Have you considered AKL it is my favorite resort! It has my two favorite restaurants and it comes with it's own Savana! Yes it is way out there, but the place is amazing to me!

Upvote 0

wiigirl

If within budget, WL is the way to go. My favorite resort period.

Same here...if you could do it, I would.. :)
75.gif

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom