Wilderness Lodge Lanterns Flickering

Dizkneenut

Original Poster
Does anyone know... how the lanterns at the wilderness lodge flicker? I know they are supposed to resemble gas, but a CM told me there were electric but had no idea how they worked. If you know the answer, how do I recreate?

DBF John

Not sure just how Disney does it but there are two basic methods to use,

1) The light bulb it self is built to appear to flicker, which you could buy at a Home Center.

2) An electronic control like this, FlickerMaster.

Most likely Disney uses a large scale control system. Its like making a ramdom chase effect used in concerts.

Dizkneenut

Original Poster
Thanks for the answer. I am going in October and will try again to see exactly what is used. Hopefully I can run into a maintenance person and ask them. Whatever I find out I will report back here!!!

Lovecraft

WOW that flickermaster is expensive!

You can build the same sort of thing for under 20 bucks!
(people in the haunted house industry do this all the time)

Just do a search for flickering lights plans. Not getting too technical here, you can do a flickering light either by just wiring a flourescent light starter to a regular light bulb (I haven't tried this -- but supposedly it works -- seems dangerous to me though)

OR

take a photo resistor and wire it in series to a light or group of lights, enclose it in a box that has a flicker bulb (from home depot) in it -- now your regular light bulbs will flicker at the same random rate as the flicker bulb.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom