Wilderness Lodge - How Big a Factor is the Location?

lebeau

I know the Wilderness Lodge is much beloved. And many will tell me that it is definitely worth the money. I am eye balling it for our next trip. But the step up from the Mods is a bit intimidating and I need to sell it to the Mrs.

Money being no factor, she would like to stay on the monorail line for convenience. But since that isn't in the budget, I'm wondering about the WL. I know they have the boats to the MK. Just how convenient is the WL compared to the mods? (Mrs. lebeau is still steaming about the POR bus rides from 2010.)

I don't want to oversell the convenience factor and then have her be disappointed when we get there. But if it is significantly more convenient than the Mods, that would definitely weigh into our decision.

What say you, WL fans?

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
I know the Wilderness Lodge is much beloved. And many will tell me that it is definitely worth the money. I am eye balling it for our next trip. But the step up from the Mods is a bit intimidating and I need to sell it to the Mrs.

Money being no factor, she would like to stay on the monorail line for convenience. But since that isn't in the budget, I'm wondering about the WL. I know they have the boats to the MK. Just how convenient is the WL compared to the mods? (Mrs. lebeau is still steaming about the POR bus rides from 2010.)

I don't want to oversell the convenience factor and then have her be disappointed when we get there. But if it is significantly more convenient than the Mods, that would definitely weigh into our decision.

What say you, WL fans?

I would day that, at least in terms of going to MK, the boats are quite convenient and we didn't have any issues travelling back and forth between WL and MK. The restaurants in the resort were great, as were the gym and game room.

That said, I wasn't thrilled about the transport between WL and the other parks. I know it wasn't the norm (or at least I don't think it was), but we had a 35-minute trip from WL to DHS. And a ride a tad bit longer between there and EP. I'm not complaining, but we're usually at WDW with a car, so it was a new experience for us.

But the WL is nice, and if you plan on spending a good deal of time at MK, it's not a bad consideration. :wave:

Upvote 0

captainkidd

There are also buses that go directly to the MK, and those take about 5 minutes.

I've had spotty transportation from there in the past, but last week it was fantastic. You can have bad transportation from any resort. WL is no worse than any of the other Magic Kingdom Area resorts.

Upvote 0

real mad hatter

Pounds v Dollars?

Well this year is our third stay at PORS, and before booking we did fancy pushing the boat out and book WL. Until we worked out how much our two week vacation would be,hmm,let's just say the pounds beat the dollars.$2000 extra for WL just wasn't worth it.We don't spend much time at our resort,usually out at the parks for most of the day,a quick swim at our resort,then back to the parks.Anyway,iam sure you'll enjoy where ever you stay.:wave:

Upvote 0

Crush Dude!

Back from WDW!Counting down to DLP in November!
I never understand this - If you don't spend much time in your room, why not just stay at a Value?:shrug:

Easy- No Free Dining in UK and Ireland for staying at a value!

Take this example;

3 weeks at OKW with Free Dining cost me less than
3 weeks at Pop whilst paying for the Dining Plan

Easy choice :ROFLOL:

Upvote 0

Crush Dude!

Yeah, that's sort of a no-brainer.

Very much so, actually when I booked, booking a mod with free QS dining and upgrading to full dining cost more than OKW with full Free Dining as wel!

So a 45% discount at OKW and Free Dining
Was Def the best way to go :sohappy:

Upvote 0

Crush Dude!

What say you, WL fans?

And to answer the first post!

Of all the MK Resorts WL may be the first we stay in, cant wait to see it for the first time in August :sohappy:

Upvote 0

sweetpee_1993

We definitely enjoyed our stay at WL this past September. The boat to/from the MK turned out to be more of a happy thing than I thought it'd be for me considering how I dislike the boat to/from DtD from POFQ. I'm not real patient with boat rides at WDW as a mode of transportation because they seem sooooo slooooow. Yes, I'm an impatient person by nature but the hubby has a boat that does over 70 mph on the water which is what I'm accustomed to. Poking along generally grinds on my nerve as I sit there thinking, "Geeeeeez, we coulda been there & back 4 times already...." :lol: The WL boat was great and I didn't mind the pokey-pace at all. I think the walk to the boat dock with the scenery and all really gets your mind set for the relaxing jaunt plus the views of the resorts along the way, crossing the water bridge, then seeing the other resorts out on the lagoon really is great. I really enjoyed our boat rides. They were so nice.

The additional ammenities and activities at WL are really fabulous. Lots to do. Good eating. It's a nice resort unto itself without ever going thru a turnstile. Same with AKL.

Now, if you want to blow the missus away with stuff to enjoy and you can swing it, go for an Epcot resort...YC or BC in particular. **sigh** These are my new loves well above the monorail resorts in my book! :wave:

Upvote 0

Hobnail Boot

One of my favorite things about the Wilderness Lodge is its seclusion from the rest of the MK resorts. Don't get me wrong, I love staying at all the MK resorts, but the WL never feels as busy. It's a much more relaxing atmosphere and it still feels like a MK resort.

We've never had a problem with transportation from the WL. Boats came and went pretty frequently and the buses were on time for the most part. We found the boats to be less crowded and enjoyed our trips on them.

Upvote 0

Castle Dreamer

Two trips ago we decided to make the leap from moderate to deluxe and chose the WL. We loved it and have now stayed there twice. The boats to the MK, CR, and Fort Wilderness were so relaxing and enjoyable. We never had a problem with buses to the other parks. Rides to Epcot and HS didn't seem that long. Ride to AK was a bit long, but we didn't go there as much. Also, when staying at the WL we found that the bus stops from the parks back to the resort were closer to the park entrances than the moderates. Not really important but it was noticeable after a long day at the parks.

Whatever you decide, have fun!! :)

Upvote 0

captainkidd

Now, if you want to blow the missus away with stuff to enjoy and you can swing it, go for an Epcot resort...YC or BC in particular. **sigh** These are my new loves well above the monorail resorts in my book! :wave:

Eh, personal preference. I'd stay at the Wilderness Lodge (or Polynesian and Grand Floridian) any day over Yacht and Beach. Beach Club I may stay in someday, but I found YC to be stuffy and it didn't have nearly as good a service as other Deluxes.

Upvote 0

lebeau

Original Poster
Thanks for the great feedback everyone!

I would day that, at least in terms of going to MK, the boats are quite convenient and we didn't have any issues travelling back and forth between WL and MK. The restaurants in the resort were great, as were the gym and game room.

That said, I wasn't thrilled about the transport between WL and the other parks. I know it wasn't the norm (or at least I don't think it was), but we had a 35-minute trip from WL to DHS. And a ride a tad bit longer between there and EP. I'm not complaining, but we're usually at WDW with a car, so it was a new experience for us.

But the WL is nice, and if you plan on spending a good deal of time at MK, it's not a bad consideration. :wave:

Very helpful.

I'm thinking we're going to spread our time among the parks pretty evenly. Last trip, we skipped AK entirely. So we plan to hit it this trip. Epcot's a must. And my wife loved DHS. We may spend a little more time at MK than the other parks. But we'll spend more time outside MK than in it.

There are also buses that go directly to the MK, and those take about 5 minutes.

I've had spotty transportation from there in the past, but last week it was fantastic. You can have bad transportation from any resort. WL is no worse than any of the other Magic Kingdom Area resorts.

Too true about transportation. I have heard nightmare storied from everywhere.

Basically, we're trying to minimize bus time here. And my wife (who is... particular about these things) doesn't want to rent a car either. Makes things a bit tricky.

Well this year is our third stay at PORS, and before booking we did fancy pushing the boat out and book WL. Until we worked out how much our two week vacation would be,hmm,let's just say the pounds beat the dollars.$2000 extra for WL just wasn't worth it.We don't spend much time at our resort,usually out at the parks for most of the day,a quick swim at our resort,then back to the parks.Anyway,iam sure you'll enjoy where ever you stay.:wave:

I really envy the deal you guys get! I suspect the extra for WL probably won't work out in dollars either.

We definitely enjoyed our stay at WL this past September. The boat to/from the MK turned out to be more of a happy thing than I thought it'd be for me considering how I dislike the boat to/from DtD from POFQ.

We actually enjoyed the DTD boat at POR for the most part. I think my wife got irritated with it the first time. But she was angry from the flight and because Magical Express hadn't brought the bags by yet. So, basically nothing was going to make her happy at that point.

She actually likes things slow. The slower, the better. She just hates the buses. It didn't help that last time the baby refused to sit on the buses. She wanted to get down and play. I had a huge double stroller to manage, the buses were packed and the not-quite-one-year-old threw fits every single time. It was a real headache. Definitely should have rented a car last time!

I'm not real patient with boat rides at WDW as a mode of transportation because they seem sooooo slooooow. Yes, I'm an impatient person by nature but the hubby has a boat that does over 70 mph on the water which is what I'm accustomed to. Poking along generally grinds on my nerve as I sit there thinking, "Geeeeeez, we coulda been there & back 4 times already...." :lol:

I echo your lol.

The additional ammenities and activities at WL are really fabulous. Lots to do. Good eating. It's a nice resort unto itself without ever going thru a turnstile. Same with AKL.

We honeymooned at AKL and enjoyed it quite a bit. Not sure it was worth the extra over the mods though.

Sadly, WL is on the outer reaches of the budget. Probably just out of grasp, really. The wifey wants to spend money on lots of other expensive extras like character meals (castle) and the Bippity Boppity Boutique. The youngest is princess-crazy right now. And the oldest would bankrupt Trump at the gift shops. So, YC and BC will have to wait till the kids are older.

Of course, by then I'm hoping we'll be at Uni instead... :drevil:

One of my favorite things about the Wilderness Lodge is its seclusion from the rest of the MK resorts. Don't get me wrong, I love staying at all the MK resorts, but the WL never feels as busy. It's a much more relaxing atmosphere and it still feels like a MK resort.

We've never had a problem with transportation from the WL. Boats came and went pretty frequently and the buses were on time for the most part. We found the boats to be less crowded and enjoyed our trips on them.

Sounds good.

We love the WL but think the Unofficial Guide to WDW shows that it's one of the worse onsite resorts for convenience. It's remoteness means that it's a long bus ride to most theme parks. We enjoy the boat ride to MK but this is really slow. On the plus side, the WL lobby and pool are great!

Over the years, we've stayed at nearly every resort (still haven't done a Wilderness Cabin). We don't think the WL is any more covenient than any of the Moderate Resorts and, based on the Unofficial Guide, it's possibly worse. I really don't think the WL is any better than POR. If this didn't work for you last time, I don't think the WL is going to be any better.

If you want to save some money and still have convenience, you should consider the Swan or Dolphin. These are always less expesive than the WDW Deluxe Resorts. From these, you can walk to both DHS and Epcot. This is especially convenient at the end of the night. It's nice not having to wait for a bus when everyone's leaving the park.

That's pretty much exactly what I'm looking for. After posting this, I kicked myself for not just looking at the charts in the Unofficial Guide. But I also wanted some context behind the numbers and you guys are giving me that!

The Swan and Dolphin have been on the outer fringes of my radar. You have just put them dead center. I'm going to have to give them more serious consideration. Being able to walk to DHS and Epcot would be HUGE! The worst bus ride we had last time were coming home from DHS.

Upvote 0

Pioneer Hall

Very much so, actually when I booked, booking a mod with free QS dining and upgrading to full dining cost more than OKW with full Free Dining as wel!

So a 45% discount at OKW and Free Dining
Was Def the best way to go :sohappy:

Unfortunately us Americans never see deals nearly this good.

If time is a factor, then the bus is always the way to go when trying to get to MK. It is so much faster than taking the boat.

Upvote 0

mickeysshoes

The WL is our first home away from home. Not only is there a boat to the MK but you can also get a boat to the Contemp...which gives your Mrs. her monorail access with a huge savings on the budget. Our second and new home away from home is the Boardwalk. I just love this area of the World. Walking to Epcot is great and we tend to have alot of ADR's at Epcot so its perfect for that.

Upvote 0

MKCP 1985

I never understand this - If you don't spend much time in your room, why not just stay at a Value?:shrug:

Why not just sleep in your car?

Or under a bridge?

Values are really poor quality from amenities to comforts. The chairs in the room might as well be plastic fold up chairs from the dollar store. Have fun walking in the rain to the food court for the morning cup o' joe.

Upvote 0

devoy1701

What say you, WL fans?

This is our all time favorite resort. The price point is at the highest end we're willing to pay (the most I've paid for a room here is $225/night for conceirge) and we've gotten rooms as low as $144/night here.

What we like about it is it removes us from the "Florida feel" of the rest of the resort, and that everything seems to move slower/have a calmer feel here. We've never had a problem with the boat service (and it's probably more convenient nowadays than the monorail is). But honestly the secret to the WL is the BUS service to and from MK. It has its own dedicated bus and is a VERY short drive...and because of that, it runs about every 10 mins. Since everybody thinks about the boat as the primary way to get to/from the Kingdom...the bus is usually relatively empty!

Enjoy!

Upvote 0

PlaneJane

In the Parks
No
I have never really understood the awesomeness of the epcot resorts.. I have stayed in the boardwalk twice and really didn't like it. Sure its in the middle of the world basically, but you have to walk, boat or drive to Epcot and DHS. I hate walking probably b/c I have a herniated disc in my back that causes agony. I'd rather save the walking for inside the park and the boats seem extremely slow to me. When you take a bus to AK or MK all the Epcot resorts share the same bus, so you have overcrowded buses with a ton of stops. I'll take OKW any day. I don't want you guys to think I'm lazy but the herniated disc really takes it out of you even after just one day of walking. I'm getting a epidural shot today that is supposed to help I hope it stays with me for my April visit.

Upvote 0

captainkidd

Why not just sleep in your car?

Or under a bridge?

Values are really poor quality from amenities to comforts. The chairs in the room might as well be plastic fold up chairs from the dollar store. Have fun walking in the rain to the food court for the morning cup o' joe.

That's completely ridiculous. I've stayed in all levels of Disney Resorts, and the biggest drawback to the Values is the small size of the room.

If you're just paying for a room to sleep in, who cares about the chairs or amenities of the resort? As for walking in the rain to the food court, the same can be said for Grand Floridian, Polynesian, all of the Moderates.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom