Wilderness lodge for a Wedding anniversary

Mainahman

Original Poster
Then I think you picked the perfect resort to try. Having a theme appeal is such a personal preference, and if this is something you both love then I think that yippy have the right answer.

We're going in June to stay there and we're really looking forward to it. I've mostly been there in the summer and it's truly good all times of the year. With all the newer updates, it looks even better than before.
We really have no idea what to expect. Our only Resort stays have been at POP, but felt so over crowded and the busses left something to be desired this last trip, that my wife was like " you know i think its time we upgraded" We thought about POFQ for a mod, but we looked at it, and it still had the Motel 6 vibe.. so i started looking at the Deluxes and we both seemed to agree on WL. This past trip was our daughters last, so we will be reducing our travel party to 2, by upgrading it actually keeps the budget about the same as what we would of spent if we were traveling as a family.

Kingdom Konsultant

WDWMAGIC Board Sponsor
Premium Member
WDWMAGIC Sponsor
I've stayed at WL numerous times and love it! (especially when it's decorated for Christmas!) the fact that I can hop on a boat for the short ride to the Magic Kingdom is wonderful and when you come back to the hotel at night when it's all lit up is just beautiful! You definitely picked a great hotel for a romantic stay. I say go for it!

Pam

Mainahman

Original Poster
I've stayed at WL numerous times and love it! (especially when it's decorated for Christmas!) the fact that I can hop on a boat for the short ride to the Magic Kingdom is wonderful and when you come back to the hotel at night when it's all lit up is just beautiful! You definitely picked a great hotel for a romantic stay. I say go for it!

Pam
Thank you! It's definitely on our list. There's a couple other non Disney options too, but we will see. We may have to cut our park hoppers and such to help eat the parking fees as we're drivers but I'd loove to stay there. Looks so homey!

Kingdom Konsultant

WDWMAGIC Board Sponsor
Premium Member
WDWMAGIC Sponsor
Thank you! It's definitely on our list. There's a couple other non Disney options too, but we will see. We may have to cut our park hoppers and such to help eat the parking fees as we're drivers but I'd loove to stay there. Looks so homey!
Just be sure with the off property hotels that you check on their parking and/or resort fees. There are many that are not upfront with them when you book and you need to dig or ask when booking what they are. When are you planning to go? If you are not planning to park hop a lot, go with the base ticket to cut costs and plan your days that way. I go numerous times a year and I honestly haven't park hopped in years lol

Pam

Mainahman

Original Poster
Just be sure with the off property hotels that you check on their parking and/or resort fees. There are many that are not upfront with them when you book and you need to dig or ask when booking what they are. When are you planning to go? If you are not planning to park hop a lot, go with the base ticket to cut costs and plan your days that way. I go numerous times a year and I honestly haven't park hopped in years lol

Pam
Our actual anniversary is September 5th. We would be looking at that week in 2019 as we hit 10 years.

THis past trip we did a fair amount of hopping, but that was a nomad trip.

We did

Saturday DHS-MK
Sunday- AK - Disney Springs
Monday AK-MK
Tuesday DHS- EPCOT
Wednesday- EPCOT
Thursday- MK To AK
Friday MK
Saturday- Drive Home.

But id like to reduce our park days to 5 on the next trip and enjoy a bit more resort and relax time.

Animal_Kingdom_09

WL is a great hotel for what you want to do. However, for a romantic stay at Disney here is how I would choose, keeping in mind that your idea of romantic may not be exactly the same as mine.

The biggest problem that you will have in early September is the weather - it rains a lot that time of year. Wilderness Lodge's primary transportation is by boat - there is a larger enclosed one and a smaller open one. These run you over to the Contemporary's dock or to the MK entrance. At the MK, you can connect to another boat that will take you to the Polynesian or to the GF. The Contemporary boat gives you access to the monorail. These boats shut down when lightning is within about 10 miles of the park, and then you either drive, take a bus, or Uber/Minnie.

Because of the weather, my first choice, if money is not the issue, would be the main building at the Grand Floridian. At the GF, you have several restaurants that I consider to be romantic. At the top of the list is Victoria and Albert's - the chef's table is not really romantic but it is the best dinner that we have ever had. The dining room and the Victoria Room are both (IMHO) the most romantic experiences in Florida. The GF also has Citricos, and while it is not really my favorite you can have a romantic meal there. There is also a great little bar on the second floor that his great for couples whether you drink or not. The GF has a band that plays in the lobby in the evenings, and there is also a piano player several times during the day. All of these are in the main building - no walking through the rain to get to dinner at 6:00.

GF also has Narcoossee's, which has a great view of the fireworks and boat parade in the evening. You might need an umbrella but it isn't too bad of a walk most of the time.

My second choice would be one of the other buildings at the GF, again because it has the best access to several romantic restaurants.

At the time of year you are considering, there will not be as many kids at the hotels, but the GF does have a separate "adult" pool and pool bar area that is great to hang out at. Most kids go to the main pool, which has the slides and water attractions.

Last, the grounds at the GF are romantic to walk, especially in the evening.

WL comes in at number 3 on my list. The northwestern theme is great there, it has a nice lobby, the pool is fun, and I like Artist Point. But it does not have all of the romantic stuff that GF has. Plus, you have to deal with the boat transportation in the middle of t-storm season.

Fourth pick for me would be Yacht Club. If it is not raining, you can stroll on the boardwalk or through the EPCOT countries. Both are nice in the evening. Plus, it is easy to get to Shula's from there. It is not as romantic as V&A, but it is our favorite restaurant at WDW (excluding V&A which is in a class by itself).

Regardless, you will love WL, and if that is your choice, just remember that you may have to be flexible because of the weather.

Skibum1970

The biggest problem that you will have in early September is the weather - it rains a lot that time of year. Wilderness Lodge's primary transportation is by boat - there is a larger enclosed one and a smaller open one.

Wilderness Lodge has the bus services for all parks just like any of the deluxe resorts. I've used both to get to MK and found the timing to be about equal. EPCOT was not bad. One trip, we were sharing bus service to the parks with Fort Wilderness Campground but I don't know if that is all the time. It added about 10 minutes to the trip to all parks except MK.

For an anniversary getaway, the feel of WL is the best in my opinion. The resort feels warm and welcoming with a great ambiance throughout. You can sit in front of a fireplace, even in the summer, and it feels nice. You can also walk around the resort and the rooms maintain the same sense of warmth.

Mainahman

Original Poster
WL is a great hotel for what you want to do. However, for a romantic stay at Disney here is how I would choose, keeping in mind that your idea of romantic may not be exactly the same as mine.

The biggest problem that you will have in early September is the weather - it rains a lot that time of year. Wilderness Lodge's primary transportation is by boat - there is a larger enclosed one and a smaller open one. These run you over to the Contemporary's dock or to the MK entrance. At the MK, you can connect to another boat that will take you to the Polynesian or to the GF. The Contemporary boat gives you access to the monorail. These boats shut down when lightning is within about 10 miles of the park, and then you either drive, take a bus, or Uber/Minnie.

Because of the weather, my first choice, if money is not the issue, would be the main building at the Grand Floridian. At the GF, you have several restaurants that I consider to be romantic. At the top of the list is Victoria and Albert's - the chef's table is not really romantic but it is the best dinner that we have ever had. The dining room and the Victoria Room are both (IMHO) the most romantic experiences in Florida. The GF also has Citricos, and while it is not really my favorite you can have a romantic meal there. There is also a great little bar on the second floor that his great for couples whether you drink or not. The GF has a band that plays in the lobby in the evenings, and there is also a piano player several times during the day. All of these are in the main building - no walking through the rain to get to dinner at 6:00.

GF also has Narcoossee's, which has a great view of the fireworks and boat parade in the evening. You might need an umbrella but it isn't too bad of a walk most of the time.

My second choice would be one of the other buildings at the GF, again because it has the best access to several romantic restaurants.

At the time of year you are considering, there will not be as many kids at the hotels, but the GF does have a separate "adult" pool and pool bar area that is great to hang out at. Most kids go to the main pool, which has the slides and water attractions.

Last, the grounds at the GF are romantic to walk, especially in the evening.

WL comes in at number 3 on my list. The northwestern theme is great there, it has a nice lobby, the pool is fun, and I like Artist Point. But it does not have all of the romantic stuff that GF has. Plus, you have to deal with the boat transportation in the middle of t-storm season.

Fourth pick for me would be Yacht Club. If it is not raining, you can stroll on the boardwalk or through the EPCOT countries. Both are nice in the evening. Plus, it is easy to get to Shula's from there. It is not as romantic as V&A, but it is our favorite restaurant at WDW (excluding V&A which is in a class by itself).

Regardless, you will love WL, and if that is your choice, just remember that you may have to be flexible because of the weather.
I suggested GF but she felt it stuffy when researching.

Mainahman

Original Poster
Wilderness Lodge has the bus services for all parks just like any of the deluxe resorts. I've used both to get to MK and found the timing to be about equal. EPCOT was not bad. One trip, we were sharing bus service to the parks with Fort Wilderness Campground but I don't know if that is all the time. It added about 10 minutes to the trip to all parks except MK.

For an anniversary getaway, the feel of WL is the best in my opinion. The resort feels warm and welcoming with a great ambiance throughout. You can sit in front of a fireplace, even in the summer, and it feels nice. You can also walk around the resort and the rooms maintain the same sense of warmth.
Thanks! That's what we're after. A bit more resort time and less park time to spend together.

Skibum1970

Thanks! That's what we're after. A bit more resort time and less park time to spend together.

Couple more things.

1. There is a nice path that takes you to Fort Wilderness campgrounds. It is a nice walk, although it does get a little warm. Then, you can explore the campground and walk or take a bus back to Wilderness Lodge.

2. We enjoy taking a boat to the Contemporary and walking there. Plus, we can either walk to the MK or use the monorails to resort-hop with the Polynesian and Grand Floridian.

3. I really enjoy the Electric Water Parade at night. It usually plays around 9:00 PM (they post the time).

Mainahman

Original Poster
Couple more things.

1. There is a nice path that takes you to Fort Wilderness campgrounds. It is a nice walk, although it does get a little warm. Then, you can explore the campground and walk or take a bus back to Wilderness Lodge.

2. We enjoy taking a boat to the Contemporary and walking there. Plus, we can either walk to the MK or use the monorails to resort-hop with the Polynesian and Grand Floridian.

3. I really enjoy the Electric Water Parade at night. It usually plays around 9:00 PM (they post the time).
I've always wanted to see the water parade! Usually were standing in some insane line to get back to POP and can see it going on. It would be nice to sit on the beach and watch! I'd love to check out the POLY and the campground. POLY is somewhere I'd love to stay someday, just out of budget.

Mainahman

Original Poster
Is it sad that we actually don't mind rain at WDW? Our first family trip was late August. We just pack the ponchos and enjoy the shorter lines and shows, well minus that time we got trapped in Hollywood studios as the streets flooded. But a little rain never deters us. A rainy day at Disney is better than a sunny day in the office.

Animal_Kingdom_09

I agree with all that you said. However, if (and only if) restaurant choices are at the other resorts, and most of the "romantic" ones are, then bus service becomes a two step process - first to a park, probably MK, then to the resort.

Animal_Kingdom_09

I suggested GF but she felt it stuffy when researching.

No problem, it is all subjective anyway. The first time that we did a romantic getaway to Disney, we stayed at the Polynesian (pre-bungalow). It was the first time that we had spent time at the resort and skipped the parks (full disclosure - we live in Florida and are passholders, so this an option for us). One night, we had dinner at V&A. Have to admit, it was fun to hop on the monorail all dressed up and ride over to the restaurant. It was storming that evening, so it was umbrellas to the main building, but everything else was under cover.

We have done the romantic getaway several times since, most recently last July, and they are always a lot of fun. It is a side of Disney that you don't normally think about.

Nothing to do with your question, but we discovered this past Saturday the egg-stravaganza at Epcot and plan to go back next weekend to find all 12 of the hidden eggs.

Animal_Kingdom_09

Is it sad that we actually don't mind rain at WDW? Our first family trip was late August. We just pack the ponchos and enjoy the shorter lines and shows, well minus that time we got trapped in Hollywood studios as the streets flooded. But a little rain never deters us. A rainy day at Disney is better than a sunny day in the office.

If you like riding rides, it is the best time to be in a park. Thunderstorms will chase people out, but once the lightning ends all of the rides open back up and often you can walk on them. We live in Florida, and if rain stopped us we would never get anything done from June until October.

Mainahman

Original Poster
No problem, it is all subjective anyway. The first time that we did a romantic getaway to Disney, we stayed at the Polynesian (pre-bungalow). It was the first time that we had spent time at the resort and skipped the parks (full disclosure - we live in Florida and are passholders, so this an option for us). One night, we had dinner at V&A. Have to admit, it was fun to hop on the monorail all dressed up and ride over to the restaurant. It was storming that evening, so it was umbrellas to the main building, but everything else was under cover.

We have done the romantic getaway several times since, most recently last July, and they are always a lot of fun. It is a side of Disney that you don't normally think about.

Nothing to do with your question, but we discovered this past Saturday the egg-stravaganza at Epcot and plan to go back next weekend to find all 12 of the hidden eggs.
Thank you! Its still a 12 hour drive for us to get down there, bur definitely closer than we used to be. That does sound fun!

Moxie

I'll make one other suggestion based on what you've mentioned so far... Animal Kingdom Lodge. It was designed by the same architect as Wilderness Lodge, and has a similar ambiance. They don't have a massive fireplace but they do have a huge firepit, two pools and a hot tub.

The main reason that I suggest Animal Kingdom over Wilderness Lodge is that in my opinion, the dining options at Animal Kingdom are far superior. Boma is one of (if not THE best) buffets on the entire WDW property for breakfast and dinner, plus you have Jiko and Sanaa and Mara. Wilderness Lodge has Artists Point which is fantastic for a fancy dinner, but we were less than impressed with the other dining options, which seemed very beans & steak oriented. Also you have the savannah - we loved sitting out on the rocking chairs outside, watching the animals. It was very relaxing, and with the Orlando heat/humidity, it feels authentic, more so than WL. ;)

The only real con of Animal Kingdom is that it's not as close to the parks, but if the resort is a big part of your stay as well, Animal Kingdom might be worth a look.

iluvMainStMagic

Last week was amazing weather wise. It was a bit cold, but it beats super hot! Hmm maybe being there on our actual anniversary is over rated

It can certainly be fun to be there on the actual day, but there is nothing wrong with choosing a day to celebrate it during a trip when the weather is more what you really enjoy. Happy Anniversary! Ours is Sept 8 :) and we've done it both ways

iluvMainStMagic

I thought so. We sat down and looked at resorts, both Mods and Deluxes, and the only one she felt was a good upgrade above POP, as Wilderness, she felt most of the Mods were just slightly prettier value resorts, and the rest of the Deluxe fleet just felt stuffy and uninviting to her. I like the ideas of the wooded area myself. Were originally from the northeast, were no strangers to camping and cabins and such, and like that decor ourselves. I think that was in her head as well..

We've only stayed at WL a couple of times, but we always end up visiting there because I Love the atmosphere so much. For me, when we walk in, the lobby is immediately so relaxing. And during hotter temps or when it's raining, I love that you can get to the lobby, several food options (CS & TS, though not the new Geyser Point), and the bus stop, all either while inside, or at least under cover.

We also love the option to take the boats over to MK, though we've never tried it when it was cold out, that could be a little too cool for us, but other times of the year it's a leisurely, scenic, relaxing, fun ride (for us). We didn't have any problem with buses there, but if I remember correctly, they sometimes share with another Deluxe in the same area, so there may be an extra stop or two as you go/return from the parks. Just my opinion, but I didn't find it to be any "worse" than the larger resorts that have multiple stops within the same resort.

I hope you have a wonderful anniversary stay at the WL, or wherever you choose to stay!

Last edited:

Mainahman

Original Poster
Thanks all! The more and more i look., its looking like a 7 day Disney cruise may fit this occasion better, and still be cheaper.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom