Wilderness Lodge - Elevator Event

tecowdw

Original Poster
Just wanted to share our experience at the Wilderness Lodge last Friday night.

We got stuck in one of the elevators for about 50 minutes when it abruptly stopped between floors 2 and 3. Eeek! Elevator call box worked only via one-way (we could hear them, they couldn't hear us). Darn cell phone wouldn't work either. After probably about 15-20 minutes (seemed like 60), a maintenance guy opened the door about 2 inches and acknowledged us. He tried to reset the elevator but it didn't work so we had to wait for the fire department to rescue us. Took them awhile but we finally got to climb out of a 2 foot opening between the 3rd floor and top of the elevator. Once out, there was quite the group of cast member's there - maintenance, security and several mangers.

I have to say that I am so pleased how the duty managers handled the situation. They truly made us feel like they cared and were deeply apologetic. They went above and beyond in their "guest recovery" options for us! While I don't want to ever be stuck in an elevator again, it made the situation so much more tolerable.

The one thing that surprised me was during our conversation with the managers, they said other guests were upset that the elevator wasn't working. Can you believe it? How would they have liked being stuck in the elevator for almost an hour instead? Geez - some people! In fact, the managers seemed pleased that we weren't uptight and angry about the whole situation.

Needless to say, I will be mailing a letter to the General Manager so that the resulting actions of that evening are fully recognized as outstanding!

I just thank goodness it wasn't like a real life Tower of Terror. Stuck I could handle calmly - falling would not have been! Oh - and I sure hope they fixed that elevator #LP5!
;)

MaryJaneP

Stuff happens, even at WDW. Glad to hear you have a great perspective and everything ended up being alright. Kudos to you and your family.

Disneykidder

Sounds like you are a kind person. I'm sure it was not fun being stuck in there and you handled it graciously. Writing a kind letter, rather than a negative one, is a nice thing to do.:)

tecowdw

Original Poster
I have to ask (lol) What did you get??/ A free dinner?? Anything at all.
Free dinner at Artist Point, including gratuity! And wow is that place expensive! It was one of the best dining experiences I've ever had though!
They had also offered a general credit to our room, if we weren't interested in dinner. They never said how much though but we were thrilled with dinner offer.

disney4life2008

Free dinner at Artist Point, including gratuity! And wow is that place expensive! It was one of the best dining experiences I have ever had!
They had also offered a general credit to our room, if we weren't interested in dinner. They never said how much though but we were thrilled with dinner offer.

WOW!!!!!! I am sooo envious :)

tecowdw

Original Poster
Sounds like you are a kind person. I'm sure it was not fun being stuck in there and you handled it graciously. Writing a kind letter, rather than a negative one, is a nice thing to do.:)
Thank you!
Yes, I am pleased to say we handled it well under the circumstances. Funny, I was telling a friend about the experience and he commented on how upset he would have been just for losing "an hour of vacation he could never get back". He probably would have been one of those complaining about not being able to get on the elevator. Ugh!

tecowdw

Original Poster
WOW!!!!!! I am sooo envious :)
Far better than the experience I had in 2011 at Old Key West. We got flooded out of our room due to a leak on a higher floor. That was much more inconvenient experience. Woken up at 3am to water on the floor, maintenance knocking at the door and the front desk calling. They shop-vac the place and decide we can stay. Then 10am the next morning they call and decide we need to move so they can "begin repairs" immediately. The guest recovery for that event was a $50 room credit and a fast pass. I was not impressed!

Now, we've come to the conclusion we go to WDW way too much - the averages are now working against us for the unimaginable! Nothing like these kinds of events at all the first 17 years of visits.
;)

Bethypoo

I really am happy to hear you are okay and handled the situation with class and didn't allow it to ruin a great time. Hey, I would sit in an elevator for a while for a dinner like that. This confirms my belief that one should always visit the restroom before getting on an elevator.

luv

Thank you!
Yes, I am pleased to say we handled it well under the circumstances. Funny, I was telling a friend about the experience and he commented on how upset he would have been just for losing "an hour of vacation he could never get back". He probably would have been one of those complaining about not being able to get on the elevator. Ugh!
Don't know if it's a personality flaw or if they had bad parents, but some people just cannot handle the little crappy stuff life throws at us on occasion!

Good for you for handling it like a grown-up! Glad it all worked out well and thanks for sharing!!

tecowdw

Original Poster
I really am happy to hear you are okay and handled the situation with class and didn't allow it to ruin a great time. Hey, I would sit in an elevator for a while for a dinner like that. This confirms my belief that one should always visit the restroom before getting on an elevator.
Indeed! And we discussed that very issue while we were in there! I had chose not to use the restroom we walked by. I had some urge but thought I'd be in the room in a few minutes anyway. Well - 60 minutes later I really had the urge!
;)

englanddg

One Little Spark...
What? No lawsuit threats?

Look, let me share my legal firm with you. Dewey, Cheatum and Howe will fight for you!

<runs away quickly>

(still, cool story. I hope your letter gets a lot of people pats on the back. The best time to make magic is when something goes horribly wrong, and it's nice to see Disney doing just that!)

tecowdw

Original Poster
Ya -what would have been the point of getting upset? Life is too short. We were getting ready to the MK all-nighter anyway.

Plus, no one had yet referred me to Dewey, Cheatum and Howe. Thanks englanddg. Just can't afford lawyers right now though - have to pay for my 5 nights at the WL!
o_O

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom