Wilderness Lodge DVC additions - Copper Creek Villas & Cabins

CaptainAmerica

What really worries me about all this are the undisclosed changes that will inevitably be going on. So we know the shoreline will change, the boat rental dock may or may not be moved, there will be changes to hidden springs pool (I hope they can keep it surrounded by trees)... but what else...
What are you talking about? These aren't marketing materials, they're permitting documents. They can't hide things in these.

note2001

What are you talking about? These aren't marketing materials, they're permitting documents. They can't hide things in these.
Little things we've gotten to know and love may change. Nothing that would show in these.

Example: the pathway I mentioned. Another example: the wildlife will not approach the main VWL building on the lake side.
ETA: the beach is gone too. No idea if they plan on keeping the area around the restaurant as sand. The little playground will be relocated, or just not reappear at all.

Last edited:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
At least these aren't tepees over the water like the original rumor. That sounded really lame. If done right these "cabins" could have a very minimal impact on the environment or surrounding woods. They should blend right in. A new restaurant/lounge area should be a welcome addition too. I wonder how elaborate they will go with the new pool area. If they went all out it could be a really nice addition.

optjay

Well, sign me up as a complainer!!
The best resort on property is about to be ruined. Being hidden among the trees makes this resort work. adding more buildings and pathways will be removing the seclusion. Its so nice and quiet, and peaceful among the greenery. the faint sound of the MK steam train in the distance.

janoimagine

Little things we've gotten to know and love may change. Nothing that would show in these.

Example: the pathway I mentioned. Another example: the wildlife will not approach the main VWL building on the lake side.
I need to look at my contract and see if their was any mention when we bought it about this ... I know with Saratoga you had to sign a waiver noting an easement for a monorail right of way within the resort.

I can't recall anything like this for WLV's, then again it could have been hidden in all the clauses.

mm121

I really hate to hear that the feel of the resort is being destroyed. I really liked the wilderness lodge it was my favorite.

And i know while some may think its lame i liked exploring the trails at night

the wilderness lodge now will need to be called the WILDERLESS lodge

Plans for the rehab were finally filed with the SFWMD yesterday. Since these documents are considered public record, I hope there's no issue with posting images from them here.

Here's the project description from the Geotech. report:

(Page 100 of this document)

Illustrated plan of the proposed changes:
l2LwoMC.jpg

(Page 115 of this document)

Sheet from the civil plans for the rehab:
7ts68AN.jpg

(Page 14 of this document)

Looks like they'll be adding a total of 26 "lodging buildings" facing Bay Lake, as expected. However, unlike the Poly bungalows, these won't be built over the water, and it looks like only about half of them will have any decent view of the MK fireworks. It also appears they'll be upgrading/expanding the pool adjacent to the Villas building, and adding the new recreation buildings mentioned in the project description to that area, as well as what I assume to be a new restaurant building near the boat dock.
while the concept is good, its too bad they feel the need to sqeeze them so close to the original buildings when WL doesn't have the same landlocked issues of the poly

something like this would be better :
then the villas could have their own mini lobby possibly exclusive pool could go here too

would be a total resort within a resort within a resort, mega high end.
wl.jpg

This plan doesn't sound bad. I story cabins tucked into the woods, new pool, new restaurant. I think I'm fine with this. Less eye sore than the bora bora bungalows

lets hope they dont chop all the trees down :(

or if they really wanted to get exclusive this could be cool.. wilderness island
wl 2.jpg

Last edited:

WDW1974

Very, very sad news. Even if I knew it was coming ... and told y'all.

The thing that makes the WL what it is is that feels like it truly is in the wilderness. I don't see how adding 26 waterfront cabins and accompanying structures and paved pathways is going to do this. I really think this flat out sucks ... especially as someone who just bought resale points at the current VWL in 2014 and has yet to even use them once.

Pretty soon, WDW is going to resembles much of FL: pavement, traffic and tiny little berms with shrubs and a few palm trees. The MK already feels like a Disney outlet mall with a few attractions.

So much for Old Dead Guy Walt's Blessing of Size.

note2001

I really hate to hear that the feel of the resort is being destroyed. I really liked the wilderness lodge it was my favorite.

And i know while some may think its lame i liked exploring the trails at night

the wilderness lodge now will need to be called the WILDERLESS lodge

while the concept is good, its too bad they feel the need to sqeeze them so close to the original buildings when WL doesn't have the same landlocked issues of the poly

something like this would be better :
then the villas could have their own mini lobby possibly exclusive pool could go here too

would be a total resort within a resort within a resort, mega high end.
View attachment 93205

lets hope they dont chop all the trees down :(

I like your concept 100 times better than theirs. Disney is reluctant to use that space between the VWL and the old River country though, (not that I'm complaining) anyone have an idea why? Even the old Fort DVC plans did not extend past that area. Could it be wetlands?

mm121

I like your concept 100 times better than theirs. Disney is reluctant to use that space between the VWL and the old River country though, (not that I'm complaining) anyone have an idea why? Even the old Fort DVC plans did not extend past that area. Could it be wetlands?

if it is wetlands, could they build them above ground like at the poly? then it wouldn't actually affect the land as much

its so crazy how much of disney property is restricted from use. Im sure they could work out the red tape of developing the plots they want to if they really wanted to.

isn't wetlands part of the reason disney has a whole nature preserve?

space42

Very, very sad news. Even if I knew it was coming ... and told y'all.

The thing that makes the WL what it is is that feels like it truly is in the wilderness. I don't see how adding 26 waterfront cabins and accompanying structures and paved pathways is going to do this. I really think this flat out sucks ... especially as someone who just bought resale points at the current VWL in 2014 and has yet to even use them once.

Pretty soon, WDW is going to resembles much of FL: pavement, traffic and tiny little berms with shrubs and a few palm trees. The MK already feels like a Disney outlet mall with a few attractions.

So much for Old Dead Guy Walt's Blessing of Size.

Also - from someone who frequents Ft. Wilderness often - seeing the Wilderness Lodge tucked back in the trees away from the water was always a great view from the boat on the way to Magic Kingdom. Aesthetics, who needs em. - build more DVC at any cost. Bleh

Vegas Disney Fan

Whether this is an improvement or not will depend on execution. My favorite place on earth is Lake Metigoshe in North Dakota, almost the entire lake is surrounded by cabins but there are so many trees surrounding the cabins it is still stunning.

If WDW clears a huge piece of land and plops a bunch of cabins down with nothing between them this will be terrible, however, if they build a bunch of cabins surrounded by trees this could be absolutely beautiful and the first DVC I'd actually consider buying.

Here's a random picture from Google showing the potential.
http://www.bottineau.com/Forsalebyowner/schmaltz/DSC00573a.JPG

Last edited:

mm121

Whether this is an improvement or not will depend on execution. My favorite place on earth is Lake Metigoshe in North Dakota, almost the entire lake is surrounded by cabins but there are so many trees surrounding the cabins it is still stunning.

If WDW clears a huge piece of land and plops a bunch of cabins down with nothing between them this will be terrible, however, if they build a bunch of cabins surrounded by trees this could be absolutely beautiful and the first DVC I'd actually consider buying.

that site plan doesn't really take into account whats already there.

but if disney puts the effort in they could realistically move the trees that are there, to holding and then move them back to surround the cabins once built

its all about execution. and could look ok if they do a lower roof line than the poly cabins

would be great to see them hidden so much
DSC00573a.JPG

GoofGoof

Premium Member
They already have a pretty good starting point with the cabins at Fort Wilderness. I think if they just make these DVC units a slightly more modern and luxurious (on the inside) version of the existing cabins they will blend really well.

image.jpg

Even a strip of them looks pretty natural blending in with the trees all around:
image.jpg

mm121

They already have a pretty good starting point with the cabins at Fort Wilderness. I think if they just make these DVC units a slightly more modern and luxurious (on the inside) version of the existing cabins they will blend really well.

View attachment 93226

Even a strip of them looks pretty natural blending in with the trees all around:
View attachment 93227

lets hope these will have more tree cover since they wont need a road and parking at each cabin so the path can be smaller

lets hope the break out the big machinery to preserve and relocated the existing trees rather than chopping them down
o.jpg

GoofGoof

Premium Member
lets hope these will have more tree cover since they wont need a road and parking at each cabin so the path can be smaller

lets hope the break out the big machinery to preserve and relocated the existing trees rather than chopping them down
View attachment 93230
There is already a path there that they may need to widen a little. The most damage will probably come from construction and getting the equipment in. It depends on how much they want to spend to return things to their natural state after construction. The trees will eventually grow back in too. It may just take a few years.

jmuboy

I have to say I am cautiously optimistic. Its a small number of cabins and if they are built INTO the trees like the Treehouse Villas then these could be nice.

If they turn out to be placed on clear cut land and in your face like the Bora-Bora Pizza Hut bungalows then that will be a loss to this resort and WDW.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
I have to say I am cautiously optimistic. Its a small number of cabins and if they are built INTO the trees like the Treehouse Villas then these could be nice.

If they turn out to be placed on clear cut land and in your face like the Bora-Bora Pizza Hut bungalows then that will be a loss to this resort and WDW.

Exactly. And quite frankly we have no clue which direction they are going. Getting all twisted up about Disney's deforestation efforts, which may not even happen, is silliness at his highest level.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom