Wild wild west, a real cliffhanger! Trip report

Songbird76

Original Poster
When we got to Pinedale, it was raining a bit, but starting to clear up some. Pinedale is one of those typical Wyoming one-street towns, where everything is on one main stretch, which is actually the highway that runs through it. There's nothing like a chain restaurant or anything...there's no McDonalds, or really any fast food at all. There's a grocery store, and a gas station, and a few hotels, but it's mostly mom-and-pop type places....family owned by people who have lived there for generations. Pinedale is pretty much the only thing between like....Rock Springs and Jackson. There are some TINY little places where you won't even find a grocery store, but nothing of any size. My ex came from a town in between there, and the population was under 300 and the bigger town next to them where he went to school was like...500 people. So Pinedale, with its 2000 people, is the "big" town in the area. It IS, however, in a beautful area, surrounded by mountains.

The sun was starting to come back out from behind the clouds as the storm cleared.
IMG_1471.JPG

Forgive me, this will be text heavy, but requires a bit of background. This trip was a long time coming. We were planning to go last year, but then covid happened and there was no overseas travel, so we had to put it off. When flights resumed in November, I had to throw everything together in a short span relatively quickly. I had a list of the places we wanted to visit, but hadn't settled on where to go first, etc. My best friend lives in Denver, and I have friends and family all over in Wyoming who I wanted to see, naturally.

I have a cousin who, when he and his wife first married, got jobs in Montana. They are from Illinois, but they are very outdoorsy people, very active....hiking, mountain biking, skiing, river rafting. Montana/Wyoming was kind of their dream location. They were both teachers, so they both got jobs somewhere in Montana. Moving day arrived, the truck is in the driveway all packed up and ready to pull out when my aunt (his mom) pulled up and told him she didn't want him to go. So they unloaded the truck and gave up their jobs. The Montana school was NOT happy and told them they'd make sure they never got a teaching job anywhere in Montana, so not to try to come back later. They had kids and raised them, going to Wyoming quite often in Summer vacations to go hiking and camping and such. They visited us a couple of times on their way, and every year, their Christmas card was a picture from one of their trips. When they retired, they moved to Pinedale, which is the ONLY reason I included Pinedale as a stop on our trip. I had not seen this cousin since 1998 when one of my choirs was singing in Carnegie Hall and we stopped in Illinois on the drive to New York and visited the family.

In 2018, this cousin had a mountain biking accident in Jackson and broke his spine. He's lucky to have lived through it, but he is wheelchair bound now, and for a guy who was so active, it's been torture for him to not be independent and not be able to walk or move much. He lives in a care facility in Pinedale. He was diagnosed with cancer a couple of years ago, and it didn't bother him because he was depressed after the accident. He made a decision to stop treatment because he just didn't really care anymore. In February, I got a message from his niece, who I am pretty close with, saying that his cancer had spread, and the doctors were giving him 36-72 hours to live. I was upset because I had really been wanting to see him on our trip since it had been such a long time. It looked like he wouldn't make it that long. Then I heard nothing....radio silence for a week or 2. It turned out that the doctor had misdiagnosed him. He got some sort of infection and it skewed the blood tests. Every day they expected him not to wake up, but he'd be awake and lucid and just not showing the symptoms they thought he'd exhibit. They had given him antibiotics for something and then discovered that he was NOT going to die imminently. His brother (if you look at my 2019 Disney trip report, we met up with them in Epcot one day and had a dinner all together with his kids and grandkids. We also went to South Dakota together in 2016 with him, his wife, and his daughter and granddaughter) was devastated when he was told his brother was dying. They had wanted to head out immediately, but the care facility told him not to bother because covid restrictions would keep them from getting in, and he probably wouldn't make it in time anyway. Now they found out he was not going to die, they were angry with the doctors, but also really wanting to make a trip to see him. And since we were planning on being there this summer, we decided to coordinate so we could all be together at the same time.

When overseas travel opened back up, I was scrambling to get everything coordinated, and of course there were people whom I hadn't seen in a while and really wanted to make sure I saw them while we were there. My best friend was one, and these cousins were another. So I made I don't know HOW many itineraries with different routes and schedules...if we go to this place first and go this direction, or should we go the opposite direction, or should we go here first and do this other thing last? Should we spend a week in Laramie first to visit my brother, or save that for our way back? And how can we avoid all the crowds from National High School Finals Rodeo, Sturgis Motorcycle Rally, Cheyenne Frontier Days? Then when we went to book flights, the price decreased SOOOOO much if you went on Monday rather than Saturday. So then I had to redo all the itineraries again, now with a start date of July 11th instead of 9th. The kids' last day of school was July 8th. I couldn't book hotels until I knew which itinerary we were going to use, and I couldn't choose an itinerary until I knew what everyone else's plans were. My cousin's son is a teacher, and of course all the grandkids are school aged, so we had to take their summer vacation schedule into account....when do they have to be back home? And my best friend had some trips planned and wouldn't be home at certain times....so which itinerary worked for EVERYONE?

My husband, though he wasn't doing any of the planning, was getting frustrated that I hadn't booked things yet. I kept telling him I COULDN'T book yet because I didn't know what everyone's plans were, and he said just to let it go, it was OUR vacation and if it worked out to see them, it worked out, but not to take them into account and plan around them. Sometimes I think he forgets that I moved across an ocean to be with him, and while I'm content here and we have a good life, that doesn't mean that I didn't have to make sacrifices for it that he didn't have to make. He can drive 45 minutes to see his family whenever he wants to, and he doesn't really have a best friend that is like a brother. There's no one that he hasn't seen in decades if he wanted to see them. For me, this vacation wasn't just about seeing PLACES, it was also about seeing PEOPLE. I hadn't seen my best friend in 9 years. We talk all the time, but I haven't gotten to hug her or see her daughter since she came out to see me when I went home in 2013 because my dad wasn't doing well. I was alone on that trip, so she had never met my children, who call her auntie Shasta....she's family for all intents and purposes, and I hadn't seen her in almost a decade. I wasn't going to miss seeing her just so I could book hotels right away. And with the death scare for my cousin, I wanted to take this opportunity to visit him, and if his brother was going to come out there anyway, it would be a shame to miss them! I'm not sure I did a good job of explaining it to my husband, but I refused to back down....I was waiting on everyone else's schedules.

It all came together in the end, though my cousins' kids and grandkids were not able to make it. But my Cousin and his wife drove out from Tennessee. They moved there recently and are still getting their home in order, but made the drive out to visit while we were there. They got a room at the same hotel with us and we all went to dinner together. It looks like my cousin's wife has the picture from dinner. I know we took one before we left, but I don't have it, so it must be on their phones. I do have some horrible pictures of our food!

My daughter's Tortilla soup, which she fell in love with.

IMG_1473.JPG
The cousins' wives both ordered the shrimp tacos.
IMG_1474.JPG

IMG_1475.JPG
I think this was my daughter's as well? It was a chicken pasta thing, and I think it was really good.
IMG_1476.JPG

My Cousin's chicken fried steak
IMG_1479.JPG

Wait....I think the chicken pasta thing was maybe mine and I shared with E because our stomachs were still on European time and not ready for a heavy meal at that point. So we shared a lot. The steak was my husband's, and he shared his fries with A, who wouldn't eat anything on the menu. My other cousin just got potato skins off the appetizer menu and made that his meal, but he was sitting at the end of the table and I couldn't get a picture.

Songbird76

Original Poster
July 13th continued

After dinner, we followed my cousin's ex-wife to their house where she still lives. They got divorced a year or two ago, but they are still close, and he lives in the care facility and she still keeps the house. This house....oh my goodness, it's beautiful. Very close to my dream house. She says they got a steal of a deal because the people who they had bought it from were facing forclosure. She said their original house in this same spot burned down...she said the whole town had watched helplessly as this house burned to the ground. So when they got the insurance money or whatever, they decided it was their opportunity to build their dream home. It has several bedrooms, a HUGE garage, which is great for my cousin because getting him in and out of the van in his wheelchair is an ordeal and takes a lot of space....not something you want to mess with in the winter when it's snowing outside. It has walk in showers, a sort of walkway between bedrooms on the upper floor, bay windows overlooking the creek down below towards the mountains....gorgeous open kitchen with a beautiful table that matches the counters and such. So this couple had their dream home built and then just kept spending money.....new boat, new cars, new everything, and they couldn't pay their bills. They tried to sell their house, but they had way overpriced it and no one was making offers. So my cousin made an offer, much lower than asking price, and they turned it down. But it still wasn't selling. They were going to lose it completely, so my cousin made another offer...the same amount, but asking for the furniture too, because she wanted the table that matched the counters. They really had no choice...it was either sell it at the lower price, or have it foreclosed on and they'd get nothing. So my cousins got a really nice house for a lower price. So after we toured the house, we had brownies and ice cream. They had fun flavors of ice cream that we can't get here, like mint chocolate chip!! E and I were so excited by this!

This is the view from the house.
IMG_1530.JPG

July 14th
I woke up and decided to do some laundry. We had plans to drive up through this mountain road around a lake to this scenic overlook, but not until like 11. I had gotten quarters in Denver when I did laundry, so I went looking for them. I couldn't find them, so I decided to just get more....but I couldn't find my wallet. I panicked. I knew I had had it at the restaurant just before we left, because I had it in my hand to pay the bill when I found out my cousin had already paid it! (So sweet of him!!) But I knew I had had it then. I was so terrified that it had fallen out of my pocket in the parking lot and someone would have snagged it. It had my drivers license, credit card, bank cards....all the important stuff. I went through both purses (I have a big one that I carry everything but the kitchen sink in, and a smaller one for when we're touring and I'm going to have to carry it with me, that just has my phone and wallet) my carry-on, our bed...I'm looking everywhere. I call my cousin's wife to ask for the other cousin's ex-wife's phone number. She doesn't have facebook or anything, and all contact had been through my one cousin, Jim and his wife Ginger. Ginger gives me Sue's phone number so I can call and see if my wallet fell out at their house, but Sue doesn't see it. She gives me the phone number for the Den where we had had dinner so I could call and ask if they had found it. But they don't open until the afternoon. Just when I'm thinking we're going to have to drive out there to see if it's in the parking lot, I move the bedding that A had kicked off the bed in the night so I could get to the suitcases, and under the bedding on the floor is my wallet.
Thank God Comedy GIF by CBC

Crisis averted, I grabbed the laundry and detergent and headed to the laundry room. Every. Machine. was. broken. Every one! And the signs looked like they had been there for a while....like, they were dusty, crinkled, and ripped. How long have these machines been out of order? I don't think they have any plans to get them fixed. I called Sue back to tell her I had found my wallet, and to ask where the best laundromat is. She offers to let me bring the laundry to her house and she will do it while we are out touring. Have I mentioned that my cousins are the sweetest people?? SO. NICE!
Pop Tv Bb21 GIF by Big Brother After Dark
Lilo And Stitch Disney GIF

So I took my clothes up there, and then we went for the drive through the mountains.

This one's for @MinnieM123
IMG_1482.JPG

My family at Freemont lake
IMG_1484.JPG

There are so many different pull offs, all with different and fantastic views. This is one of the first ones.
IMG_1492.JPG
We drove up to another spot and found this little guy and another beautiful view.

IMG_1499.JPGIMG_1496.JPGIMG_1509.JPG

This was on the way back down.
IMG_1519.JPGIMG_1525.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1483.JPG
    IMG_1483.JPG
    65.1 KB · Views: 1

Sans Souci

Are you familiar with Booking.com? I guess the more you do through them, the better deals you supposedly get, but I have to wonder how true that is, because I was only "genius level one" because I had just started. And I actually got a better deal on a hotel than he did, and when he went back through to "check" all the hotels I had booked, he had the same prices I did. There were literally only 2 hotels that we changed, and one of them was because he balked at the price of the hotel I booked because I booked at one place that was pretty nice where the rest were all super budget type places. It was in one of the 2 biggest "cities" in Wyoming, and I knew the budget places there would be pretty seedy, and I figured one night in a nicer place wouldn't break us, so I went for a more upscale place. He guilted me into changing it. And then the other one we changed was really like 6 of one half a dozen of the other...the hotels looked very similar and the one was like 5 bucks cheaper than the other, so I had booked the one that had better reviews. He wanted to save the 5 bucks, so I changed it. But even with booking's "genius level 2" status, the prices it showed him were exactly the same as the ones it showed me, so it doesn't seem like there is actually any benefit to moving up in the system. I'm now genius level 2 as well after this trip.

I've never used them, but I figured it was a loyalty program. I just thought it was funny, because you were mentioning the types of places your husband booked in another thread with this "genius, level two" status. :)

Edited to fix a misspelling. :)

Last edited:

SteveBrickNJ

July 13th continued

After dinner, we followed my cousin's ex-wife to their house where she still lives. They got divorced a year or two ago, but they are still close, and he lives in the care facility and she still keeps the house. This house....oh my goodness, it's beautiful. Very close to my dream house. She says they got a steal of a deal because the people who they had bought it from were facing forclosure. She said their original house in this same spot burned down...she said the whole town had watched helplessly as this house burned to the ground. So when they got the insurance money or whatever, they decided it was their opportunity to build their dream home. It has several bedrooms, a HUGE garage, which is great for my cousin because getting him in and out of the van in his wheelchair is an ordeal and takes a lot of space....not something you want to mess with in the winter when it's snowing outside. It has walk in showers, a sort of walkway between bedrooms on the upper floor, bay windows overlooking the creek down below towards the mountains....gorgeous open kitchen with a beautiful table that matches the counters and such. So this couple had their dream home built and then just kept spending money.....new boat, new cars, new everything, and they couldn't pay their bills. They tried to sell their house, but they had way overpriced it and no one was making offers. So my cousin made an offer, much lower than asking price, and they turned it down. But it still wasn't selling. They were going to lose it completely, so my cousin made another offer...the same amount, but asking for the furniture too, because she wanted the table that matched the counters. They really had no choice...it was either sell it at the lower price, or have it foreclosed on and they'd get nothing. So my cousins got a really nice house for a lower price. So after we toured the house, we had brownies and ice cream. They had fun flavors of ice cream that we can't get here, like mint chocolate chip!! E and I were so excited by this!

This is the view from the house.
View attachment 662055

July 14th
I woke up and decided to do some laundry. We had plans to drive up through this mountain road around a lake to this scenic overlook, but not until like 11. I had gotten quarters in Denver when I did laundry, so I went looking for them. I couldn't find them, so I decided to just get more....but I couldn't find my wallet. I panicked. I knew I had had it at the restaurant just before we left, because I had it in my hand to pay the bill when I found out my cousin had already paid it! (So sweet of him!!) But I knew I had had it then. I was so terrified that it had fallen out of my pocket in the parking lot and someone would have snagged it. It had my drivers license, credit card, bank cards....all the important stuff. I went through both purses (I have a big one that I carry everything but the kitchen sink in, and a smaller one for when we're touring and I'm going to have to carry it with me, that just has my phone and wallet) my carry-on, our bed...I'm looking everywhere. I call my cousin's wife to ask for the other cousin's ex-wife's phone number. She doesn't have facebook or anything, and all contact had been through my one cousin, Jim and his wife Ginger. Ginger gives me Sue's phone number so I can call and see if my wallet fell out at their house, but Sue doesn't see it. She gives me the phone number for the Den where we had had dinner so I could call and ask if they had found it. :cool: :)But they don't open until the afternoon. Just when I'm thinking we're going to have to drive out there to see if it's in the parking lot, I move the bedding that A had kicked off the bed in the night so I could get to the suitcases, and under the bedding on the floor is my wallet.
Thank God Comedy GIF by CBC

Crisis averted, I grabbed the laundry and detergent and headed to the laundry room. Every. Machine. was. broken. Every one! And the signs looked like they had been there for a while....like, they were dusty, crinkled, and ripped. How long have these machines been out of order? I don't think they have any plans to get them fixed. I called Sue back to tell her I had found my wallet, and to ask where the best laundromat is. She offers to let me bring the laundry to her house and she will do it while we are out touring. Have I mentioned that my cousins are the sweetest people?? SO. NICE!
Pop Tv Bb21 GIF by Big Brother After Dark
Lilo And Stitch Disney GIF

So I took my clothes up there, and then we went for the drive through the mountains.

This one's for @MinnieM123
View attachment 662056

My family at Freemont lake
View attachment 662058

There are so many different pull offs, all with different and fantastic views. This is one of the first ones.
View attachment 662059
We drove up to another spot and found this little guy and another beautiful view.

View attachment 662060View attachment 662061View attachment 662062

This was on the way back down.
View attachment 662063View attachment 662064
Nice photography! :cool:

Songbird76

Original Poster
I've never used them, but I figured it was a loyalty program. I just thought it was funny, because you were mentioning the types of places your husband booked in another thread with this "genius, level two" status. :)

Edited to fix a misspelling. :)
Yeah, I just have to wonder how much it really saves. I booked everything on there because they had free cancellation on most of the hotels, and because it kept track of my itinerary for me. I could see where there were gaps and such. But considering genius level 2 is supposed to unlock better deals, the fact that one of the hotels was cheaper with MY genius level 1 status than for my husband's level 2 would indicate that's just a ploy to get you to book more through them. I also booked a hotel in Dublin for my friend's book launch in November and booking directly through the hotel was cheaper than booking through booking.com. I'm not saying it's always that way, and they definitely do have a niche in the market, but it's not something I'll use exclusively.

HouCuseChickie

Really enjoying following along. For years, people's TRs on here would trigger me to scheme ways back to WDW. Now I've got a report enabling my obsession with the mountains/west. 😂 The pictures around the lake are stunning. I kind of want to hop in my car and drive 1,500 miles :D That house also looks great! I'd love to find a steal like that in retirement LOL. I'm sorry for all of the crankiness and stress, but I think some of it goes hand in hand with travel. I know some people are very peaceful travelers, but we certainly have our share of moments where we're snapping at each other over silly things. Can't wait to see more!!!

SteveBrickNJ

Yeah, I just have to wonder how much it really saves. I booked everything on there because they had free cancellation on most of the hotels, and because it kept track of my itinerary for me. I could see where there were gaps and such. But considering genius level 2 is supposed to unlock better deals, the fact that one of the hotels was cheaper with MY genius level 1 status than for my husband's level 2 would indicate that's just a ploy to get you to book more through them. I also booked a hotel in Dublin for my friend's book launch in November and booking directly through the hotel was cheaper than booking through booking.com. I'm not saying it's always that way, and they definitely do have a niche in the market, but it's not something I'll use exclusively.
I never book anything thru a 3rd party. I feel more confident booking with the hotel directly.

HouCuseChickie

I usually use Travelocity. I haven't seen any ploys like what you're describing with Booking.com, but I know it's usually cheaper than booking direct through the hotel and there are enough travel reviews out there between TripAdvisor, Google, etc. to adequately vet what you're booking. There are some instances, like Vegas, where direct through the hotel can be better for pricing and perks, but things like that seem to be few and far between...especially since we aren't loyal to any one chain.

Songbird76

Original Poster
I’m the same. If I don’t know the place I am going to, I’ll use a third party to find out what hotels are in the area but to book I’ll go to the hotel website.
I did look at the hotel websites to check photos and make sure it didn't look like a dump, but usually they don't have free cancellation. Since covid numbers were rising, I was worried they'd lockdown overseas travel again and it would be canceled. Plus, my MIL had JUST had a stroke and I wasn't even sure we'd be able to go, so I needed to have everything cancelable. It was good that I did that, because Yellowstone flooded a few weeks before our trip and I had booked us in Gardiner, but the road was washed out, so I had to switch it to West Yellowstone instead. If I hadn't done free cancellation, I'd have had problems!!

Songbird76

Original Poster
July 14th Continued

We came back down the mountain and went in search of food. E and I had spent hours googling restaurants for the entire trip and there were some places where options were thin on the ground. With no McDonalds, it's a toss-up whether A will find food he will eat. He's scared to try new foods and he kind of panics if food doesn't taste or feel the way he's used to. Fries are a huge variable.....some places cut them thick, others thin, some leave the skins on, some remove them, some put seasoning on, some leave them plain, some are home made, some are frozen....you just never know what you're going to get. For an autistic kid who needs predictability, it's kind of a nightmare. We went to The Wrangler. It was a really cute little place with funny signs all over the place, like "Good morning! Let the stress begin!"
WhatsApp Image 2022-08-24 at 12.08.50 PM.jpegWhatsApp Image 2022-08-24 at 12.08.50 PM (1).jpeg
Poor E was in PAIN. When we had gone to the Den for dinner the night before, she was immediately eaten alive by mosquitoes as we stood out in the parking lot and waited for Sue to unload my cousin's wheelchair, and E is apparently quite allergic to the mosquitoes there. Her legs swelled up and the patches where she was bitten were several inches in diameter, like the size of her whole hand. And they ACHED. They felt really warm to the touch, too, so as soon as we sat down, we asked for a bag of ice to cool and soothe her legs.

You can see she got several bites on the one leg and the whole shin was swollen and sore. She had problems walking. She was just miserable.
WhatsApp Image 2022-08-24 at 12.01.19 PM (2).jpegWhatsApp Image 2022-08-24 at 12.01.19 PM (1).jpeg

I'm so bad at remembering to take food pictures! I'm sorry! But it was nothing fancy. My husband got a hot beef sandwich, and E and I shared a French dip. The server came to us and said they were out of hoagies, but they could put the meat on any kind of toast they had. We opted for sourdough, since that's usually what a French dip is served on. OMG, it was so good!! I'd take that instead of the hoagie, to be honest. Delicious! A didn't like the fries....I don't remember why exactly....I think maybe they were homemade ones with the skins still on? I'm not sure, but he wouldn't eat them. With no McDonald's as a fallback option, we went to the grocery store for snacks. Poptarts, chips, etc....he'll eat those and then he at least eats. Bonus, they had Charleston Chew, which my daughter LOVES, but we can't get here. There used to be a store that had an American candy section, and they sold it, but it must not have been popular because they stopped selling those. Then they sold the store to someone else....the new place does still have the American candy, and we can get Twizzlers, butterfinger, and a couple other standards, but no Charleston chew. This grocery store in Pinedale had all three flavors, and E had never tried the strawberry one, so I got her one of each.

After lunch we went to the local museum. Museum of the Mountain Man. It was interesting....a lot of local culture, fur trappers, hunters, etc. They also had some wildlife exhibits, so they had wall mountings of various types of wild sheep, like Bighorn, Dahl, etc. A LOVES sheep. I think he was pretty much looking forward to only one thing on this entire trip, and that was the possibility of seeing some bighorn sheep. He LOVES them. His whole face lights up. So that was cool that they had that, and a mama bear and cubs, with a story of a fur trapper who encountered them. It was pretty interesting.

We headed back to the hotel. M had an upset stomach. Ginger was feeling some symptoms of altitude sickness and she wanted to rest. A had his snacks since he wouldn't really eat restaurant food here, and E wasn't particularly hungry. I had wanted to eat at this Mexican place, but no one was up for going out with me, and I didn't really want to go eat alone, so we opted to order a pizza from the place next door and eat in the hotel breakfast room so we didn't disturb M, who was now sleeping off his stomach bug.

This pizza....wow....it was disgusting. Jim and Ginger had called Sue for her recommendation and she had said there wasn't really a good pizza place in town. She was right! The pizza was massive, and A will actually eat pepperoni pizza in some circumstances....at Via Napoli, he was too scared to actually try the pizza, but he did pick off some pepperoni and eat that. But he tasted this and made a face, shook his head, and set the piece back down. Thinking it was just his normal "This is not what I'm used to" denial, I tasted it....bad. I couldn't even eat a whole piece. And just about this time, E tried to pull up her chair. These chairs are like...cabin furniture....it's literally a chair made from chopped logs. Rustic, very heavy and clunky....fits the aesthetic of sleepy rustic mountain town. But the seat of the chair had come loose from the base, so when she tried to pull forward, it lifted a couple of inches and when she sat back down, her finger was caught and she smashed it. HARD. She screamed and I hadn't seen what happened, so I didn't know why she screamed, but she was in so much pain, she couldn't speak to tell me. I got through half a piece of the awful pizza and called it quits, and went to the front desk to ask for some ice for E. The woman looked at me like I had three heads.

Me: "You should know that one of your chairs is broken....that one right there. You might want to get it out of there. My daughter just smashed her finger in it. Where can I get some ice?"
Her: "Uuummmm.....there's an ice machine on the 2nd floor." So I go to the 2nd floor, find the ice machine....nothing happens. I come back down.
Me:"Is there another ice machine? That one doesn't appear to be working."
Her: "Ummmmm.....I don't know. I think they're all broken. Sorry." She did not look sorry. There was no question about whether my daughter was ok or did she need medical attention. No effort to look at the chair to see what was wrong, or to move it out so that no one else could injure themselves. No effort to find an alternative ice source or other first aid supplies. Just a half-hearted "Sorry". I was left wondering if there was a single machine in this hotel that WAS working. No laundry machines, no ice machines, and a broken chair. Is there ANYTHING that is in good shape here?

Find out the answer in the next episode!

HouCuseChickie

Poor E was in PAIN. When we had gone to the Den for dinner the night before, she was immediately eaten alive by mosquitoes as we stood out in the parking lot and waited for Sue to unload my cousin's wheelchair, and E is apparently quite allergic to the mosquitoes there. Her legs swelled up and the patches where she was bitten were several inches in diameter, like the size of her whole hand. And they ACHED. They felt really warm to the touch, too, so as soon as we sat down, we asked for a bag of ice to cool and soothe her legs.

You can see she got several bites on the one leg and the whole shin was swollen and sore. She had problems walking. She was just miserable.
WhatsApp Image 2022-08-24 at 12.01.19 PM (2).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2022-08-24 at 12.01.19 PM (1).jpeg

That just gave me deja vu. Sam used to react to mosquito bites like that. I've heard to referred to as Skeeter Syndrome. She outgrew it, but it was just a miserable situation whenever she was bitten. She also would react pretty strongly to fire ant bites. We already had allergy stuff on hand for K's food allergies, but had to also keep it on hand for Sam in case she was bitten. I'm sorry E had to endure that, especially during vacation!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom