Wife's surprise birthday trip looking iffy.... 9/28-10/2

valenrandy

Last month I scheduled a trip for just my wife and I to enjoy the Halloween festivities and such. We currently have flights arriving Wednesday night. I splurged and have an evening at Universal HHN with RIP tour scheduled for 9/29 . In light of the changing weather that may come, I'm not sure the event will still go on? I could reschedule it for the next night but we have tickets to Friday nights MNSSHP. Saturday we were planning on enjoying the day with friends celebrating Epcot's 40th then fly back home Sunday. Should I wait a few more days to see what happens or is this trip a bust?
I'm considering flying in a day early on the 27th to try to beat the storm. We are staying at All Stars if that matters.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Smiley/OCD

I’ve never experienced WDW with a hurricane, but I can tell you that from trip reports I’ve read, the parks can truly be a magical place…no crowds, exceptional guest services…the worst of any hurricane is usually 12 hours, so depending on the timing and whether Orlando takes a direct hit, you might lose a day, but the fun you could potentially have and the stories you can tell…I’d go…

Upvote 0

JIMINYCR

The weather forecast doesn’t look favorable and isn’t likely to change for the better. There’s nothing worse than making great plans only to have them affected by bad weather. I’d prepare for the rain and make some kind of alternate plans to make up for what you will be losing out on. Arriving a day early may give you better chances on the flight in and afford extra time to enjoy something. Unis HHN are more adult scary than MNSSHP so I’d do that over the Dis event if it suits you and your wife’s scary side.
Even with poor weather there can be many ways you could surprise your wife and celebrate her birthday.

Upvote 0

Lilofan

I’ve never experienced WDW with a hurricane, but I can tell you that from trip reports I’ve read, the parks can truly be a magical place…no crowds, exceptional guest services…the worst of any hurricane is usually 12 hours, so depending on the timing and whether Orlando takes a direct hit, you might lose a day, but the fun you could potentially have and the stories you can tell…I’d go…
If WDW doesn’t lose power then great. If a prolonged power outage, parks would be challenged to be operational.

Upvote 0

valenrandy

Original Poster
Thanks for the responses, I am seriously considering flying in Tuesday night to make it in just before the storm. I'm sure we would be safe at the Disney resorts and I've read a few trip reports of folks staying at the values during previous storms and all was well. I think I may attempt to move our HHN stuff to Wednesday night depending on what the forecast shows tomorrow afternoon.

Upvote 0

valenrandy

Original Poster
I’d wait a tick. Already, the forecast track has moved a little west. Future models may move even further west, presenting a very different scenario.
I know what you mean but now I have it in my head if we arrive Tuesday night, its an extra Disney day lmao! We would totally be ok walking in the rain at MK or Epcot.... Need to find some light weight rain wear quick....

Upvote 0

ceecee101

Last month I scheduled a trip for just my wife and I to enjoy the Halloween festivities and such. We currently have flights arriving Wednesday night. I splurged and have an evening at Universal HHN with RIP tour scheduled for 9/29 . In light of the changing weather that may come, I'm not sure the event will still go on? I could reschedule it for the next night but we have tickets to Friday nights MNSSHP. Saturday we were planning on enjoying the day with friends celebrating Epcot's 40th then fly back home Sunday. Should I wait a few more days to see what happens or is this trip a bust?
I'm considering flying in a day early on the 27th to try to beat the storm. We are staying at All Stars if that matters.

Thanks.
If it were me, I would postpone. But I seem to be in the minority here. you have so little time, what if the parks were closed 2 of your days? WDW is so $$$ now I would want to be able to milk every minute. But as I said everyone else here seems to contradict my POV. It probably matters that we haven’t been in over 10 years and head down in November and aren’t AP holders any longer so don’t go all the time.

Upvote 0

Smiley/OCD

The latest update I saw is that the storm is taking a more northernly track…looking like the area where the panhandle starts near Georgia.
I have relatives and friends just south of Tampa and relatives in Jacksonville and Ormond Beach, so I’ve been watching it closely.
(Plus I’m a weather “nerd” having taken meteorology in college), so I’m keeping up on it…OP, I don’t know where you’re coming from, but depending on what time your arrival in Orlando is, I THINK you’ll be ok. Obviously the earlier the arrival, the better!! PLEASE keep us posted!!

Upvote 0

Smiley/OCD

Just looked at new updates…as usual, the European and US models differ. European models are still showing a possible direct hit near Tampa. Your problem might be leaving at the end of the week. The hurricane is also strengthening and could be a Cat 4 at time of landfall. You may not get a flight INTO Orlando. PLEASE be careful.

Upvote 0

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
Just looked at new updates…as usual, the European and US models differ. European models are still showing a possible direct hit near Tampa. Your problem might be leaving at the end of the week. The hurricane is also strengthening and could be a Cat 4 at time of landfall. You may not get a flight INTO Orlando. PLEASE be careful.
All the things I’ve been seeing show unfavorable conditions in the gulf and a predicted weakened storm for landfall. Like a cat 2. Where are you seeing cat 4 predicted?

OP if you go, bring a suitcase of snacks/food items and try to find some water for your room when you first get there. I think that might be the hardest part, as all my Florida friends and family are already having a hard time finding bottled water. If you can check a bag, bring some with you maybe. In your shoes, without kids, I’d likely still go and go a day early, but it would really suck being hungry and thirsty stuck in the hotel room while they clean up the aftermath, in the event they can’t get anything to you.

Upvote 0

Lilofan

The latest update I saw is that the storm is taking a more northernly track…looking like the area where the panhandle starts near Georgia.
I have relatives and friends just south of Tampa and relatives in Jacksonville and Ormond Beach, so I’ve been watching it closely.
(Plus I’m a weather “nerd” having taken meteorology in college), so I’m keeping up on it…OP, I don’t know where you’re coming from, but depending on what time your arrival in Orlando is, I THINK you’ll be ok. Obviously the earlier the arrival, the better!! PLEASE keep us posted!!
The ones you know that live near Tampa if living near the coast may have to face the reality is not if but when the mandatory evac starts.

Upvote 0

Smiley/OCD

All the things I’ve been seeing show unfavorable conditions in the gulf and a predicted weakened storm for landfall. Like a cat 2. Where are you seeing cat 4 predicted?

OP if you go, bring a suitcase of snacks/food items and try to find some water for your room when you first get there. I think that might be the hardest part, as all my Florida friends and family are already having a hard time finding bottled water. If you can check a bag, bring some with you maybe. In your shoes, without kids, I’d likely still go and go a day early, but it would really suck being hungry and thirsty stuck in the hotel room while they clean up the aftermath, in the event they can’t get anything to you.
Fox weather was saying possible strengthening to a cat 4 at time of landfall…I agree, weather channel wasn’t as pessimistic but after living through Sandy, (our county took a direct hit), I always expect the worst and hope for the best.

Upvote 0

valenrandy

Original Poster
Thanks for all of the comments... Its looking like it may be a no go for Tuesday night if the storm goes to Tampa, IDK.
We are coming from Houston if that matters. I was considering switching flights to arrive at MCO either late Thursday Night or early Friday morning as to not miss MNSSHP on Friday that's if MCO will be open and accepting flights. I would then change the return flight to Monday or Tuesday. I need to ask if Universal would be willing to move our HHN tickets and RIP tour to Sunday, I'd hate to be out almost a grand on just that 1 event. Staying positive here and also praying for those that live in the area as I know our trip is meaningless in comparison.

Upvote 0

ceecee101

Track this thread, the folks are on top of it. Can you postpone?

Upvote 0

JIMINYCR

This would be wise. Friends of ours were at WDW when the last major one hit and the food courts were sparsely stocked from having guests buying up everything they could carry. They were left with a limited choice of things available to eat.

Upvote 0

valenrandy

Original Poster
Track this thread, the folks are on top of it. Can you postpone?
If we cant make it, this would be a canceled trip. We already have a Thanksgiving trip planned with the kids so if canceled, no Halloween for us this year it that were the case.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

valenrandy

Original Poster
Update: Changed our flights to arrive on Friday morning but with the latest weather report the storm seems to have slowed down a bit more. I might change it to Friday afternoon but at that point I's be loosing out on our MNSSHP tix.

Upvote 0

Lilofan

Update: Changed our flights to arrive on Friday morning but with the latest weather report the storm seems to have slowed down a bit more. I might change it to Friday afternoon but at that point I's be loosing out on our MNSSHP tix.
For flights to take off on time is not reality. One should expect delays and or cancellations.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom