Why we should all hate Bud Light- How it stole one of our local Theme Parks!

Phroobar

I miss those Disneyland specials. They were always fun and neat to see the park. I wonder why the Jackson Five were represented by a drawing of the group on the ad.

Phroobar

Another set of Commercial including Disneyland, the San Diego Zoo, plus Magic Mountain, Only 2 gallons north of Hollywood.

Funny how the kids run the wrong direction to get the Jet Stream in the Magic Mountain commercial. It is amazing how new and well taken care of the park looked there.

TP2000

I miss those Disneyland specials. They were always fun and neat to see the park. I wonder why the Jackson Five were represented by a drawing of the group on the ad.

That entire ad is a hysterical mid 70's throwback full of mostly out of work C and D List celebs (sorry Disneyland).

I love that Ted Knight is shown as his Ted Baxter character from the Mary Tyler Moore Show, complete with his WJM-TV Channel 12 (why do I remember that?!) branded anchorman coat. Because otherwise we wouldn't recognize him?

Ruth Buzzi, the poor dear, is exemplified as one oddball character she did on Laugh-In, that had already been cancelled a couple years earlier. (I remember Laugh-In being cut by '72, maybe '71, although it was only truly good in '67-'69)

John Davidson, who did The Happiest Millionaire in '67 but was a nobody in '74 five years before his surprise hit That's Incredible! with Fran Tarkenton and that blonde (name escapes me).

Lorne Greene, in his Bonanza getup, a couple years since that show had also been cancelled after coasting on fumes.

Doc Severinsen, as Johnny Carson's stylish bandleader from The Tonight Show, seems to be one of the few people in that lineup who was actually gainfully employed in 1974. 🤣

Last edited:

Phroobar

That entire ad is a hysterical mid 70's throwback full of mostly out of work C and D List celebs (sorry Disneyland).

I love that Ted Knight is shown as his Ted Baxter character from the Mary Tyler Moore Show, complete with his WJM-TV Channel 12 (why do I remember that?!) branded anchorman coat. Because otherwise we wouldn't recognize him?

Ruth Buzzi, the poor dear, is exemplified as one oddball character she did on Laugh-In, that had already been cancelled a couple years earlier. (I remember Laugh-In being cut by '72, maybe '71, although it was only truly good in '67-'69)

John Davidson, who did The Happiest Millionaire in '67 but was a nobody in '74 five years before his surprise hit That's Incredible! with Fran Tarkenton and that blonde (name escapes me).

Lorne Greene, in his Bonanza getup, a couple years since that show had also been cancelled after coasting on fumes.

Doc Severinsen, as Johnny Carson's stylish bandleader from The Tonight Show, seems to be one of the few people in that lineup who was actually gainfully employed in 1974. 🤣
That ad must be for a rerun of the '74 show since Lorne Greene is in his Battlestar Galactica ('78) uniform and John Davidson is standing on the That's Incredible set which was in '80. Ted Knight had his own show in '80. That means the rerun was in 1980. That makes it a pretty current list of celebrities at the time. The ad was probably created by some local tv station to promote the special.

By the way, the blonde's name is Cathy Lee Crosby. She played Wonder Woman in '74 and was knighted for her humanitarian efforts in the 80's.

Last edited:

solidyne

That ad must be for a rerun of the '74 show since Lorne Greene is in his Battlestar Galactica ('78) uniform and John Davidson is standing on the That's Incredible set which was in '80. Ted Knight had his own show in '80. That means the rerun was in 1980. That makes it a pretty current list of celebrities at the time. The ad was probably created by some local tv station to promote the special.

By the way, the blonde's name is Cathy Lee Crosby. She played Wonder Woman in '74 and was knighted for her humanitarian efforts in the 80's.
Good eye!!

truecoat

In the early 80's, John had a talk show and if anyone can find me a copy where he opened the show with the Beatles Helter Skelter, I'd be eternally grateful. I happened to watch it one day and was flabbergasted in how he tried to turn the song into something it's not.

Although forgotten, JD had starred with Sally Field in a show called the Girl With Something Extra in 1973-1974.

TP2000

In the early 80's, John had a talk show and if anyone can find me a copy where he opened the show with the Beatles Helter Skelter, I'd be eternally grateful. I happened to watch it one day and was flabbergasted in how he tried to turn the song into something it's not.

Although forgotten, JD had starred with Sally Field in a show called the Girl With Something Extra in 1973-1974.

He had a daytime talk show aside from the evening That's Incredible! variety type show? Or are you thinking of That's Incredible!, which was on once per week in evening prime time during that late Disco era?

I'm also now remembering how in the 1970's whenever Sandy Duncan would come up in conversation or appear on TV, older women (it was always older women for some reason) would lean forward and say to you in hushed tones... "Did you know Sandy Duncan has a glass eye?! It's true!" That seemed to fascinate some folks back then, at a time when those with disabilities were still never seen on TV or in prominent society. 🧐

I just Googled her, and I'm pleased to report that Sandy Duncan is alive and well, aged 74, and happily married with some grandchildren now. It's kind of a shame she wasn't invited back for some of the Anniversary stuff Disneyland has done for the 50th or 60th, just for nostalgia purposes.

I don't remember the Girl With Something Extra at all. TV shows often churned over quickly every half-season back in those days when there were just 3 networks.

Last edited:

Phroobar

The John Davidson Show 1980-1982.

TP2000

Oh my gosh, you are like some kind of forensic scientist focused on the Late Disco Era!

That's fabulous, and hysterical. And I do think you are right. I assumed that was Lorne Greene in a bolo tie from Bonanza, but I see now that it's his space outfit from Galactica. And that is indeed the That's Incredible set, and Davidson's hair looks just slightly fluffier and feathered per the 1980 style compared to the equally long but more controlled by The Dry Look hairspray look he had five years earlier.

For the Ted Knight gig, are you thinking of the show Too Close For Comfort? That was early 80's; he lived in San Francisco as a cartoonist with his attractive wife and two bombshell daughters, and the neighbor was an obviously gay Jim J Bullock with weekly scripts that weren't allowed to admit Bullock was a gay guy living in San Francisco. 🤣

That sitcom actually was quite popular for a time. How funny that in 1980 they were still using a stock photo of Ted Knight as Ted Baxter in his WJM anchorman outfit.

For those keeping score at home...

The Dry Look hairspray, which was a widely used product for men that I hadn't thought about in decades, is actually still available in select markets...

6364501737_b03e1cc3d9_b.jpg

Last edited:

truecoat

He had a daytime talk show aside from the evening That's Incredible! variety type show? Or are you thinking of That's Incredible!, which was on once per week in evening prime time during that late Disco era?

Yes, and he opened the show with music and the time I saw it, he sang Helter Skelter.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom