Why Walt Disney World Needs a 5th Theme Park By 2025

The Pho

Disney has more than enough room to expand capacity in its existing parks to the same amount a new park would increase it. Pair that with Universal’s new park and SeaWorld getting aggressive and any short term growth can be handled easily without a new Disney park. Orlando may be growing fast but it’s not necessarily the right type of growth for theme park attendance (high growth with low wages means lots of people that can’t afford to the parks).

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Yes... and stopped because of 911.

Then they built a new resort using the 3 buildings that were mostly done but abandoned and opened in 2012.

Dude...you’re missing the point .

Those rooms were approved to become
Part of the property, delayed, and ultimately added when demand went up.

AoA was not an “additional” property

MinnieWaffles

A 2,000 room hotel, each with 4 guests is still only 8,000 people if every single room was occupied. That's nothing compared to the 100,000s of people who are staying at various offsite hotels, as well as condos, various communities of villas to rent, own homes... I reckon the population coming from off Disney property to visit the parks probably is double the amount of onsite visitors visiting the parks.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
A 2,000 room hotel, each with 4 guests is still only 8,000 people if every single room was occupied. That's nothing compared to the 100,000s of people who are staying at various offsite hotels, as well as condos, various communities of villas to rent, own homes... I reckon the population coming from off Disney property to visit the parks probably is double the amount of onsite visitors visiting the parks.

True...but Disney’s current pricing trajectories will cause that population to shrink or at a minimum - shorten their amount of days consuming wdw

imarc

Dude...you’re missing the point .

Those rooms were approved to become
Part of the property, delayed, and ultimately added when demand went up.

AoA was not an “additional” property

I don't think I am. Your main point was that Disney doesn't build hotels anymore and haven't for almost 2 decades.

Two hotels were built during that timeframe adding about 1500 rooms to inventory.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I don't think I am. Your main point was that Disney doesn't build hotels anymore and haven't for almost 2 decades.

Two hotels were built during that timeframe adding about 1500 rooms to inventory.

Since you put it that way...I’m sure you missed the point.

AoA was still a mothballed project that was on hold and then completed. It wasn’t a choice by TWDC to add “new capacity” based on demand.

Again - since I was actually part of a study group and at the ground breaking at PoP...I might have an insight into this. Pop opened about -18 months late as well...they had overexpanded based on circumstances.

They did not proceed with any new rack hotel construction from 2001 until the end of 2017 when the Coronado tower began. You do the math. And that is a special circumstance as well.

Now they’re “threatening” to do a DVC/high cost rack hybrid in 4 years...that’s worked “so well” in Oahu...

What they HAVE Done is take about 1,000 rack rooms offline for 15 years to convert to DVC in 5 locations...bread and circuses for everyone there.

The reality is there has been ZERO indications that they’ll ever build a port orleans or a pop century or Caribbean again. Regular hotel rooms require effort and are subject to the market...”specialty” really isn’t.

ParentsOf4

Original Poster
The reality is there has been ZERO indications that they’ll ever build a port orleans or a pop century or Caribbean again. Regular hotel rooms require effort and are subject to the market...”specialty” really isn’t.
Disney seems content to work with partners to construct hotels. Consider the Swan/Dolphin addition and third party hotels going into Flamingo Crossing.

Those companies invest the capital, Disney collects part of the revenue.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Disney seems content to work with partners to construct hotels. Consider the Swan/Dolphin addition and third party hotels going into Flamingo Crossing.

Those companies invest the capital, Disney collects part of the revenue.
Now THAT...is the way it’s going.

Think we can sit around and spend decades talking about how “magical” the residence inn at flamingo crossing is?

Complete with countdowns, pre-trip reports and post-trip reports? 😎

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom