Why Walt Disney World Needs a 5th Theme Park By 2025

HongKongFooy

5th gate is destined for ridicule and embarrassment.

Since 1989 Disney is 100% at opening garbage.

1989...MGM Studios barren and nothing to do with its 1/4 of a park. What a waste of time.

1998...Animal Kingdom pretty but again nothing to do with its 1/4 of a park

2001... DCA wacko Jacko asinine cheeseball themed with a (to be charitable) 3/5 of a park opens to ridicule.

2002....Dis Studios Paris so bad I walked out after an hour. 1/4 of a park and ugly, too.

2005...Hong Kong Dl......so lacking in attractions that it listed City Hall on the attractions map...... CITY HALL!!!!! That ain't cool 2/5 of a park
Collaborative effort with foreign govt but Disney had its hand and then some in the park.

Be careful for what you wish for as you just might get it.

Oh and Disney Sea is Oriental Land so please don't bring that one up as a counter.

SteveAZee

From a business standpoint you're right, but they could certainly use some crowd control, especially after building multiple new resorts bringing even more people to WDW. And the fans are dying for a 5th gate so it makes sense to me. At the end of the day, Disney is a corporation that needs/wants to make money. But I hope they don't make every creative decision based on that.

As a fan for nearly 50 years now, and having just visited two months ago, I will raise my hand and say that I don't want a fifth park. Given the effort required to plan for each park and the travel each day (and park hopping), I'd much rather have the four parks built out to capacity over the next 20 years rather than deal with yet another gate. It's also less expensive for Disney to add to an existing park rather than build a 5th gate, which (in theory) keeps the costs to visit somewhat contained. Lastly, I do try to budget how many days to spend in each of the existing parks, and planning for another gate will push my time there from 8 to 10 days closer to two weeks, and that's getting to be too much of a time commitment.

That's just me, though. :)

cheezbat

What needs to happen is Disney needs to stop building hotels. There are already too many guests in the resort...the parks are always packed. They add a ton more rooms yet don’t had a ton more rides and attractions and there’s nowhere for these people to go.

I’ve said it for the longest time, the majority of people who come stay st a Disney resort do so because they’re there to visit the parks...not just spend a few days in a nice hotel.

If no park number 5 happens, massive additions to the existing 4 parks has to happen to balance things out.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
What needs to happen is Disney needs to stop building hotels. There are already too many guests in the resort...the parks are always packed. They add a ton more rooms yet don’t had a ton more rides and attractions and there’s nowhere for these people to go.

I’ve said it for the longest time, the majority of people who come stay st a Disney resort do so because they’re there to visit the parks...not just spend a few days in a nice hotel.

If no park number 5 happens, massive additions to the existing 4 parks has to happen to balance things out.

Daily park capacity far exceeds Disney resort room capacity. All guests in all the Disney rooms can fit into either MK or into EPCOT.

SplashJacket

Daily park capacity far exceeds Disney resort room capacity. All guests in all the Disney rooms can fit into either MK or into EPCOT.

I would petition that being in a park at capacity is an absolutely horrid experience. WDW has the blessing of wide sidewalks compared to say DL which was not built with 20 million yearly guests in mind but as a result, WDW has an excessively large technical capacity compared to overall ride capacity.

Disneyland, however, counters this issue with significantly more rides than any other Disney park.

I think that is the primary issue of adding a 5th gate to WDW. It would add a lot of technical capacity no matter how many rides it would open with. If the park opened with 5 rides the park itself would have a large capacity but the overall ride capacity would be very low probably sub 10,000 people an hour and yet the technical park capacity would be significantly higher.

I do not have the time today to tally up Animal Kingdom's total ride capacity but the park averages about 37,500 people a day with a total of 6 rides (excluding Prime and Dino-Rama) and 5 shows plus the projection mapping on the tree if you count that in addition to all the animals and other things to do at the park. The technical park capacity still greatly outweighs the overall ride capacity, and thus, the park is plagued with long waits.

I would argue that constructing with the intention of bringing the technical capacity closer to the overall ride capacity should be WDW's primary goal. Building another park requires a lot of investment; an investment that would go towards increasing WDW's overall technical capacity, not overall ride capacity. Increasing WDW's overall ride capacity over technical capacity is the best thing for the consumer and WDW as a whole.

WDW does not need to construct for the top 1% attendance days but at the least the top quarter. Increasing technical capacity more than ride capacity only benefits those who visit on the top 1% attendance days, whereas increased ride capacity benefits everyone, including those who visit on the top 1% days.

I do understand that adding ride capacity adds to technical capacity, however, each park has a baseline technical capacity even with no rides so the more rides that are added the less lopsided the scale becomes.

KevinPage

The last thing we need is the two BOB’s opening another park, as it would be destined for CHEAPNESS, not something whiz bang that will blow people’s socks off.

Let the more cost controlled option of WDI doing their best to plus the existing parks for now. Once we get a actual creative mind in charge, then cross that bridge of a 5th gate.

Last edited:

Shouldigo12

I brought this up in another thread but no one had an answer, so I'll ask you. How will adding more hotel rooms bring more people into the parks? As you said, people come for the parks and not the hotels. It's not as if people are going to be clamoring to stay at these new resorts and then deciding to go to the parks while they're there; they're going to be going to the parks anyway, and may or may not decide to stay at a resort if it fits them.

I just don't get the logic behind more hotel rooms=more people in the parks.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
I brought this up in another thread but no one had an answer, so I'll ask you. How will adding more hotel rooms bring more people into the parks? As you said, people come for the parks and not the hotels. It's not as if people are going to be clamoring to stay at these new resorts and then deciding to go to the parks while they're there; they're going to be going to the parks anyway, and may or may not decide to stay at a resort if it fits them.

I just don't get the logic behind more hotel rooms=more people in the parks.

Exactly. If on Tuesday 40,000 people decide to go to the Magic Kingdom - then 40,000 people are going to the Magic Kingdom. Whether they stayed at the Grand Floridian, Port Orleans, or the Hawthorne Suites is irrelevant. Disney wants more hotels so they get more of a captive audience - one that doesn't stay at the Hilton Garden Inn and is tempted to spend a day at Sea World.

ObscurityPoint

Guys a fifth gate may sound like a dream come true (no pun intended) for all of us, but let’s be real, a modern day Disney park that’s not a “Magic Kingdom” themed park, will ultimately result in a creative disappointment for us all. Immersive, sure. New lands, absolutely. A designate theme and new ideas? Highly unlikely. The place would be an IP-haven. Something to complete with Universal’s “Realm-based” Fantastic Worlds park. No real idea or concept, just a bunch of popular IP-based lands. Now I know that many of you out there would be in favor of this, but more would probably be against it. I’m not saying I’ve lost hope in the Imagineers, because they’re still doing their best to keep the magic and creativey alive and I know anything they’d come up with would be incredible, but the corporate side of the company and their involvement/overseeing of a 5th United States park is what frightens me. Could really dictate the limits and imagination of the next park we get. I’m no prophet, but the possibility of a fifth park makes me wonder about the possible outcomes...both positive and negative.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

They stopped building hotels years ago...they only build lucrative timeshares now.

The last Disney constructed for sale hotel broke ground in?...anyone?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Guys a fifth gate may sound like a dream come true (no pun intended) for all of us, but let’s be real, a modern day Disney park that’s not a “Magic Kingdom” themed park, will ultimately result in a creative disappointment for us all. Immersive, sure. New lands, absolutely. A designate theme and new ideas? Highly unlikely. The place would be an IP-haven. Something to complete with Universal’s “Realm-based” Fantastic Worlds park. No real idea or concept, just a bunch of popular IP-based lands. Now I know that many of you out there would be in favor of this, but more would probably be against it. I’m not saying I’ve lost hope in the Imagineers, because they’re still doing their best to keep the magic and creativey alive and I know anything they’d come up with would be incredible, but the corporate side of the company and their involvement/overseeing of a 5th United States park is what frightens me. Could really dictate the limits and imagination of the next park we get. I’m no prophet, but the possibility of a fifth park makes me wonder about the possible outcomes...both positive and negative.
Disney would never spend the non-subsidized infrastructure costs, labor commitments, or suffer the diminishing returns of what they already operate by adding a fifth park...

They know the data and numbers down to a T...and are much better at strategic planning than the fans are

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
How bout the new Grand Destino Tower?
I KNEW i forgot one!!!

Yes...that was the first non DVC in 16,17 years....
Coronado is a business/convention hotel - however - so the intent is not for mom, dad and the 2 kids to go there on free dining

...and it’s an add on...not a new hotel.

Semantics

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member

Room inventory has almost nothing to do with theme park attendance. The majority of guests stay off property or they're local/semi-local. Building more hotels converts would-be off-site guests to on-site guests, it does very little to increase total park attendance.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom