Why no indoor pools?

Sigmundooze

Original Poster
I know its florida and nice out almost year round but there are also a lot of thunderstorms so it would be nice to have a few indoor pools but i realized disney doesnt have any (to my knowledge). What is the reasoning behind this? Will they ever build one?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I don't know the official reason but I would assume that it is simply because they are far more expensive then outdoor pools and there is not a huge need for them. You can swim in a heated pool in central Florida pretty much year round and while thunder storms are an issue they do not happen often enough or long enough to warrant the extra expense. The pools might close for an hour or two for a thunderstorm and they typically occur at a time when most guests are at the parks.

joe80x86

They don't have any and I would tend to doubt they would build any for the simple reason it would be hard to theme, and probably would not be used very much.

Pioneer Hall

As others have said, there is simply no need for them when most people want to be outside when they are at the pool. Disneyland Paris has them because they experience an actual winter and they want the guests shelling out the big bucks to enjoy a pool.

Sigmundooze

Original Poster
Thanks for the answers. As for the "cause its hot" answers, Ive been to Disney many a time when they have had freezing weather and also when its been extremely hot. Both times I would have loved an indoor pool (see great wolf lodge as to how much fun one can be themed as well although I know these are more water parks).

Another reason I would love one is that I have very fair skin and even with sunscreen I still burn and am worried about my kids who also have very fair skin.

I know its more expensive to have than outdoor but I would think that Disney could have at least one.

glee

Thanks for the answers. As for the "cause its hot" answers, Ive been to Disney many a time when they have had freezing weather and also when its been extremely hot. Both times I would have loved an indoor pool (see great wolf lodge as to how much fun one can be themed as well although I know these are more water parks).

Another reason I would love one is that I have very fair skin and even with sunscreen I still burn and am worried about my kids who also have very fair skin.

I know its more expensive to have than outdoor but I would think that Disney could have at least one.

I hate to get technical but..

Its too big for just one. And they have to think of the majority of the year. Its hardly ever freezing in florida. I think only a handful of people would use it.:rolleyes:

You do know they have parks at disney dont you??? :rolleyes::shrug::p:hammer:

bgraham34

Its too big for just one. And they have to think of the majority of the year. Its hardly ever freezing in florida. I think only a handful of people would use it.:rolleyes:

The upkeep is too expensive for what I hear. Plus sometimes enclosed pools still need some sort of air conditioning especially in Florida.

LucyintheSky

I hate to get technical but..

Well, I've lived in Orlando for 10 years, and I'll tell you, there is a BIG chunk of the year I wouldn't go near an outdoor pool, even if it was heated. While it may not be "freezing", it can get very chilly for a lot of the winter. That's when the locals laugh at the tourists who come in unprepared for the temps, wearing shorts and t-shirts, simply because they assumed Florida=Always Hot.

They always smell funny due to the heat being trapped inside.

I guess I'm weird, but I've always like the smell of indoor pools. :shrug:

StingraySam

My first thought to an indoor pool was why? Unless it was in a concrete type building it would still need to closed during thunderstorms, an aluminum shell would not provide adequate saftey, the cost and upkeep would be tremendous and where would you put it? How would you theme it and would it be part of one of the water parks? That's when I came up with a thought, why not and indoor structure out at the sports center that could be used for public use when not being used for competative events. They have facilities for almost all other sports but to my knowledge nothing for swimming. I know this is not what the inital poster probably had in mind but I don't think it's to far a stretch for the facilities they already have in place.

MagicMegan

The only thing I could think that I have seen other places is a pool that is half indoor, half outdorr. When it's nice, the wall is open and you can swim freely from the inside to the outside, and when it's bad outside they shut the wall, usually a mechanical wall, and then it's only indoor. [shrugs]

StingraySam

The only thing I could think that I have seen other places is a pool that is half indoor, half outdorr. When it's nice, the wall is open and you can swim freely from the inside to the outside, and when it's bad outside they shut the wall, usually a mechanical wall, and then it's only indoor. [shrugs]
I like the idea, you could do some really cool things with it, like how at the Wilderness Lodge the spring in the lobby feeds the pool outside. But thunderstorms may still be a saftey issue even with a wall enclosing the indoor portion of the pool.

:sohappy:post #100 and it only took 4 1/2 years:ROFLOL:

Sigmundooze

Original Poster
Well, I've lived in Orlando for 10 years, and I'll tell you, there is a BIG chunk of the year I wouldn't go near an outdoor pool, even if it was heated. While it may not be "freezing", it can get very chilly for a lot of the winter. That's when the locals laugh at the tourists who come in unprepared for the temps, wearing shorts and t-shirts, simply because they assumed Florida=Always Hot.

I guess I'm weird, but I've always like the smell of indoor pools. :shrug:

hooray so I'm not the only crazy one! (i like the smell too! :D)

71jason

I know of maybe two indoor pools in Daytona, and they are just nasty in the summertime. The humidity and the smell of the chemicals are just overpowering, and the heat is stifling.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
WDW is afraid of potential indoor riots when someone tries to reserve a row of beach chairs.....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom