Why is WDW sound so low compared to other parks?

RonAnnArbor

Original Poster
Talk about an area that needs major "re-imagineering"...having gone to the Disney Parks now in California, Florida, Paris, and Tokyo, WDW is the only park where the sound on the attractions is still at the low levels set in the '70's (for the most part).

What is up with that? I know a few attractions are working on cranking up the sound (Haunted Mansion, Journey into Imagination)...but take a listen next time you are there. Any of you who have been to the other parks will notice the difference right away.

THe sound on almost ALL the attractions at WDW are too low. It's not because some of us are getting older and having trouble hearing (hehe) the ride sounds are actually set lower.

Why, over the years, do you think the sound has not been cranked up a bit? Most of these things are computer controlled anyway - move the master sound gauge from 6 to 10...

I know some people complain that movie theatres, for example, sometimes have the volume too high - but that is the same entertainment industry that determined that its better to crank the sound up than to have complaints that people can't hear...

Thoughts? :eek:

EpcoTim

the audio is severly lacking on some rides. Same could be said of the omnimover, or whatever the ride system is called.

jmvd20

I feel the exact opposite. While some rides at WDW need some work done to their audio systems I feel they are still much better than most other parks. Granted I haven't been to every amusement park in the US but the ones that I have been to are not louder, nor better than WDW.

SpectroMan

We are force-fed sound so much, especially at movies. I like when you have to listen hard. It makes you concentrate on the small details.

kcnole

There's a couple of reasons.

1. Aside from Disneyland, we are the oldest Disney parks and up until a couple of years ago, everyone was complaining that Disneyland had become the ugly stepsister. Since we're the oldest parks, we have the oldest rides. It's not very often that they come through and rip out an old ride just to put a technologically newer version of it in the park.

2. We have more parks than any other Disney resort in the world. Now ideally, each park should have the same budget and attention no matter how many parks there are at the resort, but unfortunately it doesn't work that way. I feel that at times, WDW as a whole falls down a bit because it almost becomes quantity over quality at times.

3. It's also hard to compare the parks overseas to ours. They're built under different circumstances and in a different culture. Some of them are partially financed by the govts of their areas as well as Disney so they have more money. The culture also plays into it. Take Tokyo for example. Their whole culture is still built around taking tremendous pride in your job no matter how low it is and having the utmost of respect for those around you. Unfortunately, we're never going to have that in the states ever again.

4. I'd also go far to say that we are by far not the worst parks out there. I don't know if you have or not, but go visit Disney Studios Paris and come back and tell me if you still think we're the worst Disney park in the world.

Yen_Sid1

RonAnnArbor said:
Talk about an area that needs major "re-imagineering"...having gone to the Disney Parks now in California, Florida, Paris, and Tokyo, WDW is the only park where the sound on the attractions is still at the low levels set in the '70's (for the most part).

What is up with that? I know a few attractions are working on cranking up the sound (Haunted Mansion, Journey into Imagination)...but take a listen next time you are there. Any of you who have been to the other parks will notice the difference right away.

THe sound on almost ALL the attractions at WDW are too low. It's not because some of us are getting older and having trouble hearing (hehe) the ride sounds are actually set lower.

Why, over the years, do you think the sound has not been cranked up a bit? Most of these things are computer controlled anyway - move the master sound gauge from 6 to 10...

I know some people complain that movie theatres, for example, sometimes have the volume too high - but that is the same entertainment industry that determined that its better to crank the sound up than to have complaints that people can't hear...

Thoughts? :eek:

There are no problems with the audio systems at WDW. The audio levels are just set that way to immerse you in the experience, not to overpower you or hide other noises.

jesserin

Yen_Sid1 said:
There are no problems with the audio systems at WDW. The audio levels are just set that way to immerse you in the experience, not to overpower you or hide other noises.

I agree... if it were any louder, it would be tough to take small children on... I think the noise levels are very appropriate to the attractions... My daughter was able to ride everything that didn't have a height requirement - and to be honest the only one that she was scared for a moment on was Space Ship Earth - the only attraction where the noise was turned up. :) I guess for those hard of hearing the sound could be a problem, but for those of us with great hearing the rides are perfect!

:wave:

AEfx

I'm usually the one who, when in a group watching TV, wants the TV the loudest, and I can't say I've ever thought the audio at WDW was too low.

I actually like a lot of the discrete sounds, makes it more fun and exciting, and gives different impressions each time. I also like how well WDW isolates it's audio.

As to audio quality, yes, some attractions need some major attention. Mainly Country Bear Jamboree, IMO. You can't even make out the lyrics to many of the songs it's so bad. I have a feeling the HM audio will get some lovin' too when it finally gets it's major rehab.

AEfx

kcnole

Not true. On some rides it is, but on other rides the volume level is high to overcome the ride systems. The one that it was the worst on is no longer with us. If You Had Wings was probably one of the loudest dark rides in the history of WDW. Why? Because there were a hundred or so film projectors all running at one time that were very very noisy. They had to pump the volume up of that ride to cover the sound of those projectors.

There's several other rides, such as SSE, where this is the case as well. Luckily, the newer ride systems are quieter in most cases, but they will turn up the volume to crowd out outside sounds which would pull you from the magic and distract you, including ride vehicles and film projectors.

LudwigVonDrake

I don't there's any problems with the audio systems in the rides at WDW. The volumes are perfect :)

They need to replace some of the speakers in the Doombuggies of the Haunted Mansion for sound QUALITY not VOLUME :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom