Why is there no sweet tea at Disney??

tigsmom

Halfling418 said:
I live in VA now, and I had no idea what sweet tea was until I moved. Definately a southern thing. Yucky! (tea, not southerners :) )

I live in NY and the first time I had sweet tea I almost died! :)hurl: ) I'm used to drinking unsweetened iced tea with only lemon.

Its definately a regional thing so I guess WDW will take the safe route. Sorry.

tigsmom

Debbie said:
As a person who drinks a pot of iced tea per day (unsweetened); I was disappointed to learn that fresh brewed tea is hard to find in WDW. I was dying for some tea and ordered a large from the Mexican restaurant (the outdoor one), and I wound up throwing the whole thing away. It was nasty!

I'm with you, I drink gallons of iced tea, fresh brewed and unsweetened. I always ask for unsweetened Iced tea, if its not available its water with lemon or lime or a diet soda.

Sweet Tea Recipes... just super sweet iced tea, but a shock if you're not used to it. :eek:

http://www.grits.com/tea.htm

notnothin

Woody13 said:
Sweet tea is a tradition only in the deep south of the USA. Most people can't stand it!

Agreed. I'm from Birmingham, and I've never understood how people drink it. Waaaaaaaay too much sugar!

Disneyland1970

Moved from California to Georgia. I have to make sure I stress UN-SWEET when ordering tea now. If you just order Iced Tea it is sweet here. I just don't understand the whole sugar thing??? Why not just put sugar cubes in your mouth all day? Man the first sip is always a test!

Number_6

I live in Orlando and the only place I've found Sweet Tea so far is buying it at the Publix near here since Arizona now makes Sweet Tea in large bottles and cans. It's actually not bad.

BRER STITCH

Funny thing around these parts....

If you order Iced Tea - ANYWHERE - the immediate response you get is...

"Sweetened or Unsweetened?" It's automatic!

Incidentally, if you want FRESH tea, you order the unsweetened, which is generally brewed on site. You can add sugar and lemon if you like.

The sweetened tea is generally from a syrup mix and is dispensed from a soda machine or a "bar gun". It's generally awful!

I guess the tea mystery ranks right up there with the soda/pop conspiracy!

:lol:

I went to a lecture given by a Southern sociologist a few weeks ago called "What Makes the South Southern?" In one of his phone surveys, only 51% of Floridians considered themselves to be "Southern." If you're using sweet tea to gauge that, I think it's true! I've been all over Florida, and sweet tea is impossible to find.

Personally, I don't like tea period, but I have a cousin who loves it and tries to order it in every restaurant we go to. I'm not sure he's ever gotten it, but he will not order unsweetened and put sugar into it..says it doesn't taste right.

dcaffey

Debbie said:
As a person who drinks a pot of iced tea per day (unsweetened); I was disappointed to learn that fresh brewed tea is hard to find in WDW. I was dying for some tea and ordered a large from the Mexican restaurant (the outdoor one), and I wound up throwing the whole thing away. It was nasty!

No question that most of the iced tea at WDW is bad (it all tastes like the powered kind out of a jar) but the stuff at Mexico is by far the worst.

My wife drinks tea all day (unsweet) and trying to get it for her in morning at WDW takes experience.

Boo's Mom

crazymatrix_gal said:
yep, can't find it anywhere... Also, I have yet to find a place where they sell
DR. Pepper! Oh well....:lol:

I go through Dr. Pepper withdrawls when I'm at Disney as that is all I drink. I have to drink water, diet coke or sprite when I'm at the world but I'd rather have my Dr. Pepper :lol:

And when I make sweet tea, (tea with sugar added while brewing..) I have to add 2 cups of sugar. I have one of those mr coffee iced tea makers..I add 2 cups of sugar in with the ice cubes or water in the pitcher
http://i.walmart.com/i/p/00/07/21/79/22/0007217922754_500X500.jpg

Ringo8n24

Number_6 said:
I live in Orlando and the only place I've found Sweet Tea so far is buying it at the Publix near here since Arizona now makes Sweet Tea in large bottles and cans. It's actually not bad.

We found sweet tea offered at Cracker Barrel on 192. I am not as big of a fan of sweet tea as in the past, but my husband was thrilled. I guess it goes with all the "deep south" food they serve. :)

tigsmom

dcaffey said:
No question that most of the iced tea at WDW is bad (it all tastes like the powered kind out of a jar) but the stuff at Mexico is by far the worst.

My wife drinks tea all day (unsweet) and trying to get it for her in morning at WDW takes experience.

This is what I do... I take my refillable mug and get a tea bag and brew a strong cup (only use 1/2 a cup or so of hot water) then after a few minutes add ice. Its better than the fountain stuff (which I can't drink because I can't have sugar).

What I plan on doing this trip is getting some of those CrystalLite sticks for water bottles (in lemonade & iced tea) and throw them in my back pack. Its not the best, but I can tolerate them. :wave:

napnet

Most if not all of the Publix Grocery Stores in Orlando sell the best Sweet Tea by the gallon and half-gallon. Another good place to find it is at Sonny's BBQ in Kissimmee.

As for Florida, up here in the panhandle is considered part of the deep south. Everywhere has Sweet Tea up here. South of Ocala is where Florida starts to become part of a different region.

mrs.mickeymouse

Grits and Swet-Tea

I do believe sweet-tea is one of those things you either love or hate just like buttered, salty grits. Personally I Think sweet-tea is a contributer to making us true southerners such sweeties.

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
mrs.mickeymouse said:
I do believe sweet-tea is one of those things you either love or hate just like buttered, salty grits. Personally I yhink sweet-tea is a contributer to making us true southerners such sweeties.

Quoting from My Cousin Vinny

Vinny Gambini: Sure, sure I heard of grits. I've just never actually SEEN a grit before

SewIn2Disney

tigsmom said:
This is what I do... I take my refillable mug and get a tea bag and brew a strong cup (only use 1/2 a cup or so of hot water) then after a few minutes add ice. Its better than the fountain stuff (which I can't drink because I can't have sugar).

What I plan on doing this trip is getting some of those CrystalLite sticks for water bottles (in lemonade & iced tea) and throw them in my back pack. Its not the best, but I can tolerate them. :wave:
And to add to that.....Lipton makes Cold Brew tea bags. Just get a cup of ice water (Free from any counter service resturant) and brew yourself a batch. We keep a few teabags on us at all time...nothing like a free drink! (And it takes away from that chlorine flavor)
And you can add sugar (by the busload if you are me....lol)

Zed

I think the reason it's hard to find sweet tea at WDW, is because of the huge volume of people going through the restaurants, they'd almost have to have people whose only job is to brew fresh sweet tea all day long.

I think the only way Disney could offer fresh sweet tea, would be to have a sweet tea vat/drum, similar to the "Hurricane" specialty drink vat/drum in the CityWalk utilodor tunnel underneath Pat O'Brien's. The only problem is Disney would have to have one at every restaurant, which definitely wouldn't be cost effective.

Outside of WDW, in Orlando, you can find sweet tea at CiCi's Pizza, and Golden Corral Buffet & Grill (both have locations very close to DTD).

I'm pretty sure that some different places use a fructose syrup to sweeten when they to make large quantities of fresh drinks such as sweet tea, punch, and lemonade.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom