Why is there no sweet tea at Disney??

TurboCaroline

Is it 5:00 yet?
Original Poster
I was wondering why Disney World doesn't offer sweet tea? I live in Mississippi and everywhere you go you can choose from sweet or unsweet tea. So when I'm at the parks I can only drink water or soda. It would be a nice alternative. Anyone have any insite on this??

:confused:

ChrisH9339

For some strange reason, the only place I've found sweet tea available at WDW is at Columbia Harbour House in Magic Kingdom (which is ironically modeled after New Englamd, where sweet tea is not available!)

So you'll have to get your sweet tea fix there, or go off property.

TurboCaroline

Original Poster
Actually now that I think about it I don't think there is sweet tea anywhere in Orlando...or at least at the few restaurants I ate at.

TurboCaroline

Original Poster
Woody13 said:
Sweet tea is a tradition only in the deep south of the USA. Most people can't stand it!

Wouldn't you consider Florida in the deep south...can't go much further south than that!!
:rolleyes:

Halfling418

I guess since Florida is very diverse--it has people who live and visit there from all over the country...and the world...

So it is far south, but very different in many ways, I think, from other southern states. Florida is somewhat in a category all it's own.

TurboCaroline

Original Poster
I think up north it is just considered tea and if you want it sweet you sweeten it yourself. I lived in Illinois for 7 years and never drank tea until I moved to Mississippi. And actually it took me years to actually like the stuff...but now it's what I drink...

CRJpilot

I thrive on sweet tea. You take a sip of mine you might go into a sugar coma. mmm Sweet tea, some baked beans and fried chicken....I love my roots ;)

PamelaNiebergal

I may be dumb but what is sweet tea? Is it served cold? Cause every time I go to WDW I always order iced tea expecting to get what we have in Canada (where iced tea is always sweet and very good) and it always turns out to be basically just tea served cold (and in my opinion not very good). Just curious if what we are drinking up here is sweet tea.

Wow ... I can't believe I'm actually up at two in the morning discussing iced tea...:hammer:

The Mom

Premium Member
As in many food items, sweet tea has many recipes, and people are hesitant to share them. However, the major difference is that the sugar is added during the brewing process, not after. This allows the sugar to completely dissolve into the fluid, so you don't have to keep stirring it to keep the sweetness even. I've also heard of people using cane syrup instead of granulated sugar, which would infuse the sweetness more evenly.

I'm not a fan, but my son LOVES it.

scorp111

PamelaNiebergal said:
I may be dumb but what is sweet tea? Is it served cold? Cause every time I go to WDW I always order iced tea expecting to get what we have in Canada (where iced tea is always sweet and very good) and it always turns out to be basically just tea served cold (and in my opinion not very good). Just curious if what we are drinking up here is sweet tea.

Wow ... I can't believe I'm actually up at two in the morning discussing iced tea...:hammer:

After living in Montreal & Ontario, the only iced tea that my in-laws have found served in restaraunts here while visiting, is either the Nestea Cool or Lipton Brisk variety. These commercially available "teas" that are already have the sugar and lemon added and come from a fountain (like carbonated beverages). My BIL refers to them as Nastea...
That is also served at at least a few places in WDW, because he had it there as well.

As other have said, in Southern US, you ask for iced tea, you have to choose sweet or unsweet.

Debbie

The Mom said:
As in many food items, sweet tea has many recipes, and people are hesitant to share them. However, the major difference is that the sugar is added during the brewing process, not after. This allows the sugar to completely dissolve into the fluid, so you don't have to keep stirring it to keep the sweetness even. I've also heard of people using cane syrup instead of granulated sugar, which would infuse the sweetness more evenly.

I'm not a fan, but my son LOVES it.

As a person who drinks a pot of iced tea per day (unsweetened); I was disappointed to learn that fresh brewed tea is hard to find in WDW. I was dying for some tea and ordered a large from the Mexican restaurant (the outdoor one), and I wound up throwing the whole thing away. It was nasty!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom