Why is Riviera resale so cheap?

Schweino

Original Poster
Wife and I talked more DVC today. While discussing, I was taking a look at the resale market and noticed that Riviera, which we both really do like, is considerably cheaper than other resorts. Copper Creek was 2nd place for us and GF was third.

Why is Riviera so cheap? Is it the maintenance dues?

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
Wife and I talked more DVC today. While discussing, I was taking a look at the resale market and noticed that Riviera, which we both really do like, is considerably cheaper than other resorts. Copper Creek was 2nd place for us and GF was third.

Why is Riviera so cheap? Is it the maintenance dues?
I think the general consensus is that Riviera resale is still overpriced compared to where it will eventually settle (relative to the other resorts).

The single biggest driver of resale price (among WDW resorts) is number of points available, followed by number of years remaining on the contract. Inherent point value as related to cash prices, points per room night, and years left is much, much less of a driver than I expected when I did the regression.

But ultimately the prices are set by supply and demand and there’s a giant pile of SSR and OKW contracts right now and Riviera has the fewest contracts available for resale right now.

My very very strong advice is that if you want Riviera, buy it directly from Disney.

Schweino

Original Poster
I think the general consensus is that Riviera resale is still overpriced compared to where it will eventually settle (relative to the other resorts).
I must either be an idiot or just confused. As CC was our second favorite, its about 20/per point more than Riviera, but the contract is shorter by 2 years and also less maintenance fees by about a buck per.

My brain is having a hard time finding the ‘reason’ Riviera at 152 per is that cheap compared to CC. Plus the rooms nicer!

Club Cooloholic

I must either be an idiot or just confused. As CC was our second favorite, its about 20/per point more than Riviera, but the contract is shorter by 2 years and also less maintenance fees by about a buck per.

My brain is having a hard time finding the ‘reason’ Riviera at 152 per is that cheap compared to CC. Plus the rooms nicer!
It's like you said, when buying a resale you will only be able to use points at Riveria. That is a HUGE restriction. Many of us in here enjoy trying different resorts other than where we bought, some have never even stayed in their "home" resort. My family usually does a split stay because part of the fun for us experiencing different resorts.

Schweino

Original Poster
It got muddy reading terms. For the other resales, can you use them at the other resorts minus Riviera? I was sort of deducing that buying resale, the points are only good at the home resorts, but I could of just been mixing them up.

Schweino

Original Poster
If there’s anything covid has taught me it’s that I’m glad I don’t own a time-share!

I’m wondering why people still buy them at all?
We aren’t completely sold ourselves yet. Considering the contract length, and we arent diehard disney fans, we figure we could gift it out a couple of times to our familes (our siblings and their families) if we wanted. Also we are trying for kids, so something we can use for sure in the future.

Probably the biggest reason we are looking at DVC compared to other timeshares is mainly because we are big fans of all the different restaurants around the area, plus being from Omaha, having a winter escape.

We could always rent the points and travel anywhere else if we got tired of Orlando :)

Last edited:

Club Cooloholic

It got muddy reading terms. For the other resales, can you use them at the other resorts minus Riviera? I was sort of deducing that buying resale, the points are only good at the home resorts, but I could of just been mixing them up.
If you buy resale at Boulder Ridge you can use them at any resort except Riviera. Same for the others.
I will say this, I visited WDW in 2020, and probably would not have been able to if I didn't have DVC as hotel bookings were almost non existent at the time. DVC resorts were the first to open back up. That said our friends in Canada, UK and abroad were all in a bind as they could not come and use their points.

Schweino

Original Poster
If you buy resale at Boulder Ridge you can use them at any resort except Riviera. Same for the others.
I will say this, I visited WDW in 2020, and probably would not have been able to if I didn't have DVC as hotel bookings were almost non existent at the time. DVC resorts were the first to open back up. That said our friends in Canada, UK and abroad were all in a bind as they could not come and use their points.
Thanks much CC. Certainly makes the choice tougher - we love WL during holidays and our primary travel dates would be 12/1 - 12/14. But the rooms at the Riviera we loved. At least I have the facts to make a somewhat informed choice. Greatly appreciate everyone!

nickys

Premium Member
If you buy a resale contract now you cannot use those points at Riviera (or any other new resorts going forward) but you can still use them at other “legacy” resorts.

nickys

Premium Member
Thanks much CC. Certainly makes the choice tougher - we love WL during holidays and our primary travel dates would be 12/1 - 12/14. But the rooms at the Riviera we loved. At least I have the facts to make a somewhat informed choice. Greatly appreciate everyone!
Early December is the most popular time for DVC. If you want to stay at WL at that time you’ll really have to own there. Studios at Copper Creek are insanely popular and even booking right at 8am at 11 months will be hard to get. Also note that studios and1-beds at CCV a hard limit of 4 people, whilst Boulder Ridge (the original units at WL) have a capacity of 5.

If you bought at WL you could always rent out your points and use the cash to rent points at Riviera. The other way round is tricky, you would probably need to do a private rental to stay at WL during those first two weeks in December.

Club Cooloholic

Just an FYI, and this might be why points are cheaper as well....Riviera rooms are cost more points than most comparable resorts. I haven't stayed there yet and will probably have a tough time justifying doing it because my points go a lot further at most other DVC resorts. Just to give you an idea you could have booked a Savannah View Studio at AKL for a week next Saturday for 139 points vs a Riviera standard view studio at 155. A 1bd Copper Creek WL at 271 vs 321 for a 1bd at Riveria. That is a lot of points so you will have to buy more points at Riviera. I would say that is just as big a reason the price is lower on resale as the other restrictions.

Schweino

Original Poster
Riviera rooms are cost more points than most comparable resorts.
I think what confuses me a bit in this TS game is what happens if you have like 4 left over points? Perfect world scenario, we would probably find either a 130-150 pt contract and either do something yearly in a studio, or every 2 years in a 1BR. If I were to get a 130 pt contract, and do a studio, that leaves me with 14 pts to use, which is good for 1 night stay in September. Rolling those points over into the next year doesn't do much good for me personally, assuming the next year I also do another week in a studio, so I would have 28 pts to rent out.

Is this a common practice with DVC holders to try and use every single point they can get?

Club Cooloholic

I think what confuses me a bit in this TS game is what happens if you have like 4 left over points? Perfect world scenario, we would probably find either a 130-150 pt contract and either do something yearly in a studio, or every 2 years in a 1BR. If I were to get a 130 pt contract, and do a studio, that leaves me with 14 pts to use, which is good for 1 night stay in September. Rolling those points over into the next year doesn't do much good for me personally, assuming the next year I also do another week in a studio, so I would have 28 pts to rent out.

Is this a common practice with DVC holders to try and use every single point they can get?
I mean, you ideally use every point, but there are cases where you have a few over. I haven't been in DVC long enough to speak to it, I tend to combine 2 to 3 years, so it hasn't been an issue. When I first bought my resale, it had a bunch of points about to expire and I put it into RCI (timeshare program since replaced by another) that DVC partners with and I used them there, but I don't think 4 to 10 points would get you anything in that either. Also, I think DVC lets you buy a few points if short, also sometimes people try to buy left over points from other members, as you are able to transfer points(I believe there are restricts, like you can only do it to one member, and once a year, not cut up all your points and dole them out to 3 members), so folks might buy them off you.

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member

It’s $30 cheaper direct from Disney too. And the point charts are VERY different.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member

So one thing to remember is that Disney will use banked points first. So if you have 14 points left over first year, you bank those. Next year, DVC will use those 14 first, and if all is the same, you would then have 28 to bank into the next year. If you do that for a bit, you can add a day or two for a longer vacation.
We do try to use as many of our points each year, but depending on the year, we may borrow from next year, or bank to the next year. We usually go for a 1 bedroom for just the 2 of us, and a 2 bedroom if one of the kids and his wife is coming along. If we end up having to borrow, we might get a studio for one of the trips (we normally do at least 2 or 3 trips every year) to make up the difference.
I mean, you ideally use every point, but there are cases where you have a few over. I haven't been in DVC long enough to speak to it, I tend to combine 2 to 3 years, so it hasn't been an issue. When I first bought my resale, it had a bunch of points about to expire and I put it into RCI (timeshare program since replaced by another) that DVC partners with and I used them there, but I don't think 4 to 10 points would get you anything in that either. Also, I think DVC lets you buy a few points if short, also sometimes people try to buy left over points from other members, as you are able to transfer points(I believe there are restricts, like you can only do it to one member, and once a year, not cut up all your points and dole them out to 3 members), so folks might buy them off you.
True, if you come up a bit short, DVC lets you buy up to 24 one time use points. They were $15 each, but not sure if that has changed, and it doesn't matter what resort you want to use them at - it's all the same price for those.

Schweino

Original Poster
It’s $30 cheaper direct from Disney too. And the point charts are VERY different.
I wish there was some sort of historical chart showing resale pricing history. As Disney is charging 207/pt for Riviera currently, and seeing a 130/pt contract for 152, I don't see why I wouldn't bite on a resale. The benefits don't seem to be worth the rack rate to me (if you went to Disney every year, might be something to consider).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom