Why is Mulan classified as a princess?

HM GhostHostess

Original Poster
Apparently, Disney lists Mulan as an "official princess" in their Princess franchise. She occasionally appears on princess merchandise, is sometimes present the Akershus Royal Banquet Hall for the Princess Storybook Dining, and appears on the mural in the princess room of the World of Disney store. In the movie, Mulan comes from a rural family. She goes off to war in her fathers place to save his life, helps defeat Shan Yu, and is praised by the emperor of China. It is hinted at that she later marries Shang, but he is an army captain, not a prince. Mulan is not of royal descent and she doesn't marry into royality. Why does Disney include her as an "official princess?"

EaglesfanNJ

While you raise valid points, you're probably better off filing this one under the "you're looking way too much into it" category.

By default i'm sure Disney just files Mulan into this category...same with Pocohantas. Are you looking for them to create a "woman who married into military" category? :shrug:

Plus in the eyes of those who the characters are really intended for (the children) they certainly do not look at it as in depth as we adults, to them Mulan is just one of the princesses.

DizneyPryncess

Apparently, Disney lists Mulan as an "official princess" in their Princess franchise. She occasionally appears on princess merchandise, is sometimes present the Akershus Royal Banquet Hall for the Princess Storybook Dining, and appears on the mural in the princess room of the World of Disney store. In the movie, Mulan comes from a rural family. She goes off to war in her fathers place to save his life, helps defeat Shan Yu, and is praised by the emperor of China. It is hinted at that she later marries Shang, but he is an army captain, not a prince. Mulan is not of royal descent and she doesn't marry into royality. Why does Disney include her as an "official princess?"

From what I understand, a Disney Princess has to fit into the "Princess Mythology". If you google that term, you'll find some things about it. Basically, a Disney Princess can be someone who is born a Princess, marries a Prince, or who demonstrates heroic behavior becoming of a princess. While Mulan isn't born a princess or married to a prince, she does demonstrate heroic behavior with all she does for her country. So Disney allows her to be a Princess by their definition of the Princess Mythology. :)

smw

so we're going to debate the validity of the term "princess" but not any other elements of realistic accuracies in disney films?

let me go put my lollerskates on first.

While you raise valid points, you're probably better off filing this one under the "you're looking way too much into it" category.

By default i'm sure Disney just files Mulan into this category...same with Pocohantas. Are you looking for them to create a "woman who married into military" category? 🤷

Plus in the eyes of those who the characters are really intended for (the children) they certainly do not look at it as in depth as we adults, to them Mulan is just one of the princesses.
Pocohantas was actually a princess of royal lineage. Her name was Princess Matoaka, but she was referred to as Pocohantas.

Pocohantas was actually a princess of royal lineage. Her name was Princess Matoaka, but she was referred to as Pocohantas.
Ok. So it was preferred by the English, to address and introduce her as a princess, paying homage to the tribal chief. It is plain to see, how Disney adopted and romanticized her namesake, because she was already famed through legacy.

Alternatively, in such cases as Mulan, this may be one of the places where Disney's preference usurps legend, and Mulan is named a Disney princess because the magic castle wouldn't have it any other way. In a way, she is given a platform of social status with Disney that continues on beyond her root ties to the Chinese country.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
While I appreciate Alice, she meets none of the above listed princess criteria.
1. In Looking Glass, Alice was 'queened.'

2. Disney uses one and only one criteria for "Disney Princess" -- synergy with the *brand* of "Disney Princess." It was and is a marketing tool.

3. Thread as old as time...

Heppenheimer

Let me throw a monkey-wrench into Disney's princess marketing juggernaut machine... "Prince" or "Princess" is not a title only restricted to the children of a monarch, it actually is a general title for high-ranking nobility. Particularly for those who don't have a more specific rank, like a Duke/Duchess, Count/Countess, Margrave/Margravess, etc.

LittleBuford

Let me throw a monkey-wrench into Disney's princess marketing juggernaut machine... "Prince" or "Princess" is not a title only restricted to the children of a monarch, it actually is a general title for high-ranking nobility. Particularly for those who don't have a more specific rank, like a Duke/Duchess, Count/Countess, Margrave/Margravess, etc.
This isn’t true across the board. In the UK, for example, the titles “prince” and “princess” are carried only by the descendants of monarchs and their spouses, as well as (in the case of “prince”) by the consorts of queens regnant.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom