why is Magical Express is not on the Magical Band?

dvitali

Original Poster
was thinking about the Magical Express and Magical Band and wonder why it not use at Orlando Airport to just tap and enter the number of luggages to claims and party numbers to get on the bus instead of using paper tickets. this will alert disney you on your way to the resort and will have your check -in papers and room ready.

Tom

Beta Return
And now that I'm not on a phone, I'll elaborate.

As long as you book Magical Express in advance, it will be tied to your Magic Band. When you land at MCO, just head to the Magical Express queues and they'll scan one band in your group. They will then direct you to a bus.

I don't know if this passes any information along to the resort, but they will still likely intercept you when you get off the bus anyway - someone with a tablet.

VitaminjTX

You should still take your voucher if they mail it with your luggage tags just in case. But the Magical Express reservation is linked to the Magic Band.

dvitali

Original Poster
two year ago the person with the tablet was standing next to the check-in line rope. she would gather your name and info if the other cast member was busy and she get the package or direct you to next available cast member.
How is checking out handle at the end of vacation? if you have a late flight, check the luggage , tap the band , and your luggage bag fee is charge to your credit cards? and your get your boarding pass and magical express pick up time? or have to pull out the credit card anyway?

cw1982

I may not fully understand your question, but I don't remember the option to book airfare through Disney's website. I would think that paying for checking luggage would be between you and the airline and wouldn't involve Disney at all, but I could be wrong about that since I've never done it before.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
As @Tom said...magic bands are integrated with Magical Express. You no longer need paper tickets for ME upon arrival. However, you may still need them upon departure! Though, I suspect that system will be updated sooner than later, if it hasn't already been updated.

Your bags are tied to the resort if you use the yellow luggage tags that will come in your Mickey Mail. If you do this, they'll be routed to your resort automatically when they reach MCO.

If you have any carry on bags or gate check, those are your responsibility, and there really is no feasible way to make that work.

Also, @cw1982, you can book your flights through Disney Travel...they just don't always get you the best rates.

cw1982

As @Tom said...magic bands are integrated with Magical Express. You no longer need paper tickets for ME upon arrival. However, you may still need them upon departure! Though, I suspect that system will be updated sooner than later, if it hasn't already been updated.

Your bags are tied to the resort if you use the yellow luggage tags that will come in your Mickey Mail. If you do this, they'll be routed to your resort automatically when they reach MCO.

If you have any carry on bags or gate check, those are your responsibility, and there really is no feasible way to make that work.

Also, @cw1982, you can book your flights through Disney Travel...they just don't always get you the best rates.

Cool. Lesson learned of the night ;) Thanks!

dvitali

Original Poster
maybe i was wrong about Disney collecting departure airlines luggages fees when you check out on the day of departure and you get your boarding pass.( this was before airline have apps with smartphone boarding passes). so if someone do not have a smartphone when checking out of Disney you need to produce a credit card to charge your luggage fees . you just cannot tap your magic band and have it charge to charging privilridge?

englanddg

One Little Spark...
maybe i was wrong about Disney collecting departure airlines luggages fees when you check out on the day of departure and you get your boarding pass.( this was before airline have apps with smartphone boarding passes). so if someone do not have a smartphone when checking out of Disney you need to produce a credit card to charge your luggage fees . you just cannot tap your magic band and have it charge to charging privilridge?
If you check your bags at the resort upon departure at the airline departure area, if there are baggage fees, you can pay for them there at the resort.

However, you can't use your magicband to do this. That is because the charge is not done through disney, rather through the payment system of the participating airline.

cspencer96

If you check your bags at the resort upon departure at the airline departure area, if there are baggage fees, you can pay for them there at the resort.

However, you can't use your magicband to do this. That is because the charge is not done through disney, rather through the payment system of the participating airline.
Right - and if I recall, all of the airline presence at Disney resorts is made up of BAGS employees that are trained as CMs to work on Disney property. It's all Disney branded, but not really Disney, right?

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Right - and if I recall, all of the airline presence at Disney resorts is made up of BAGS employees that are trained as CMs to work on Disney property. It's all Disney branded, but not really Disney, right?
I'm not sure of the details of their employment, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Rob562

Bingo. The Resort Airline Check-In desk is staffed by BAGS employees, not Disney.

If you need to pay airline luggage fees on departure, the information will be in the packet you get under your door the day before checkout. It requires you to call a phone number and pre-pay them before dropping your bags off at the RAC desk.

-Rob

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Bingo. The Resort Airline Check-In desk is staffed by BAGS employees, not Disney.

If you need to pay airline luggage fees on departure, the information will be in the packet you get under your door the day before checkout. It requires you to call a phone number and pre-pay them before dropping your bags off at the RAC desk.

-Rob
Maybe I'm loopy, but I've always been able to pay at the desk itself...

I always have an extra bag (or three) after a trip to Disney. :p

Rob562

Maybe I'm loopy, but I've always been able to pay at the desk itself...

I always have an extra bag (or three) after a trip to Disney. :p

Odd, everything I've read said that you had to pay before going to the desk. I wonder if it's just to streamline things at the desk so that they don't have to worry about everyone paying their fees there.

-Rob

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Odd, everything I've read said that you had to pay before going to the desk. I wonder if it's just to streamline things at the desk so that they don't have to worry about everyone paying their fees there.

-Rob
Maybe that's it...but I know every year since 2010 I've paid at the desk. Including this past trip.

Oddly, I didn't know I could call in advance over the phone (even though it is in the packet)...and never thought about it. Next trip, if I have extra bags, I will probably do this!

I am flying in from uk with Virgin & I wanted to add extra baggage on for the return trip. It took me 3 days last week & numerous phone calls to find out how to do this. I hope this post saves somebody the hassle that I went through to get the answer. If you are flying back to the uk with Virgin you just need to pay for the additional baggage at downtown disney check in. First bag is charged at £55 & any additional at £120. If you have a cone exiting flight to catch in the Uk then this charge covers you for both flights as long as it was booked through Virgin, usually Aer Lingus. I know this isn't directly related to the thread but thought it might be helpful to all Virgin Holidays travellers. I can't get used to the new allowance of 1 bag I always have extra baggage on the way home.

dvitali

Original Poster
The reason for this topic being listed here is because I did not know the magical express was link on magical band. I problem I was having with is that I was not using magical express Going TO MCO (going to Universal first) then Disney. I then using the magical express to go back home. I wonder if I need to pay the 25 dollar luggage fee bag on my smartphone app to get my broading pass or put it on a credit card while at Disney, since all the flight info is on my magical band.

m3owbox

I was just there two weeks ago. we set it up early and we had magic bands with us and everything but they still gave us paper passes.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom