• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

Why is Magic Kingdom closing at 10 PM on Saturdays in August.

Oddysey

With the extra ticketed events like after hours it makes no sense to offer a competing product for free and given how many rave about them I don’t see a reason for disney to extend hours beyond 10 any day.
From Disney’s perspective/business perspective, I completely agree. Especially since their are people willing to pay a premium for what was once provided through general admission. However, from a consumer perspective I completely disagree. Paying more for less is not a good proposition for consumers in any industry.

Since this board consists of consumers of the Disney product (I recognize some own stock), I am going to stand with said consumers and state that paid premium special events replacing something I used to enjoy regularly without paying above general admission SUCKS.

For lack of a better word.

Oddysey

Advertisement
Legoland is $100/ticket and closes at 5 PM most days.
Yeah, I don’t go there and it is literally 5 miles from my office.

Disstevefan1

We are going 19-26 Oct this year, and granted you can expect that as we get closer to Halloween the MNSSHP pick up in frequency, BUT Disney has gone one step further and have thrown in a PRIVATE CORP EVENT on the evening of the 10/22 closing the part at 6 pm. (speculation on another thread is that its related to an IT conv at the Dolphin.)

So 6 days worth of tickets, and there is only 1 day its open past 6 PM! Sure, we will do the party one night, but this is started to border on insanity. Disney, you are eroding my love (and open wallet) for you with each and every trip - you are really pushing it. I booked my flights on refundable reward points, and still haven't decided to either scrap the whole trip to another date or just spend my vacation dollars somewhere else.

Just a recap of MK hours our week:

SUN: MNSSHP
MON: MNSSHP
TUE: Private EVENT 6 PM Close
WED: Full hours, 9PM Close
THUR: MNSSHP
FRI: MNSSHP

I know some on here argue and point out that there is really no need to be out late, nothing good happens after 10 pm, etc. My fondest memories of Disney World are those earlier year EMH that ran till 2-3 AM. If you want to close earlier to extend 3rd shift maintenance/cleaning by all means - but when I see the same dust bunny day after day in the Space Mountain queue when the park closes at 9/10 PM vs 2/3 AM . . . . . . .
Wow! Did you hit the nail on the head with your own empirical data! 5 of the 6 days the park closed early to run a paid event and the one day there is no event the park closed at 9pm.

Even the radical Disney defenders can't rationalize this as normal, good, positive, fair or right!

NickMaio

Wow! Did you hit the nail on the head with your own empirical data! 5 of the 6 days the park closed early to run a paid event and the one day there is no event the park closed at 9pm.

Even the radical Disney defenders can't rationalize this as normal, good, positive, fair or right!
Word..........

zurj

Disney World has become pretty lousy when it comes to the way it's taking its customers for granted. The topic at hand is just one of the many frustrations I have. How about all of their over promising and under delivering. Anything they announce is under delivered. I love Pandora, but they took like 7 years after announcing to put it up and it only has one great attraction. Star Wars Land changing the way theme parking is done? Then they decide to cut all of the droids motoring around, the alien interactions, and the local space ships coming and going... That sounded amazing, but when push came to shove, they thought they didn't need to provide it, and assumed the customers would still be begging them to take their hard earned money. Remember the Theatre announced for Main Street USA? Then as soon as they broke ground, they decide it just won't work without so much as an explanation. maybe I'm becoming an old man, but it seems like Disney no longer cares about delivering on what they say they will do, nor doing what is right by the customer. In the short term, their stock I'm sure will do well, but in the long run it will drive a loyal fan base away.

bryanfze55

Yeah, you caught me...

I’ve said nothing that isn’t true. Disney’s operating hours are comparable to every other theme park. Disneyland is actually open consistently later than any other theme park I can think of, closing at 11 or midnight on weeknights in the summer. We may expect more from Disney, but I’m not wrong in pointing out that they’re simply following the industry trend of cutting operating hours to save money.

Sirwalterraleigh

Um because.... it just is.
Its not "ridiculous" its just how its been lately.
Starting the 29th it will be opening earlier in the morning than usual so there's that going for it.
It just is...and it’s just ridiculous. The two are not mutually exclusive. Keep “drinking the sand”
It's 5 o'clock somewhere...
Indeed, James Buffet
If you think that's bad (and I agree that it is), so far they're also scheduling 8pm and 9pm closings for the entire Presidents' Day week in February 2020 (with EMH few and far between, and some days none at all) -- you know, a week when tens of thousands of schools in the northeast will have a vacation, and so many of us will be at WDW that it's not uncommon for folks to run into a dozen people they know from home while they elbow their way through the parks. I knew it was a bad week to go (we have no choice these days, given the kids' schedules), but seeing the hours cut shorter even than last year makes me want to bang my head against a wall. Last year they were open until at least 9pm during this week and the lines were reportedly insane every minute of every day. Clearly WDW was not in the mood to learn anything from that.
Simple answer there: stop going in droves at predictable times where they can kick you out and sell upsells for the same stuff on the same days
Because they already have the visitors' money.
Bingo...bullseye...touchdown!!

Hank Hill

Wow, Legoland is not a good value even when compared to Disney!
Online, Florida Legoland tickets are $70 for one day, $85 for 2 days. And that includes the water park. It says the gate price is more. It's been my experience that almost nobody pays "gate price" even if you just show up with no planning. But it's been 2 years since I last went. Weekends they are open 6-8 more often than not. If you go during the school year on a weekday, I don't know you would want/need to stay late, it's not a huge park. And it is made for kids 10 and under for the most part, and has many activities for kids to enjoy. I suppose it depends on what you want, but I think for the price, it's not a bad deal. I also think it is more designed for regional use, as there are locations all over the country, no need for anyone to design a whole vacation on going there for a week. Probably a good chunk of guests are AP holders a lot of days.

Kingoglow

I am fine with the parks closing at 10 PM. I don't see any compelling reason for the park to be open past that time. Everyone knows that you can still linger for a good hour after the parks close to wait for traffic to clear. Why is midnight so amazingly more useful than 10 PM. Just go home for christ's sake; and let the CM's do the same.

Look at Epcot; closes at 9 PM. No one cares. No one cries. You watch the fireworks and then you wander back to the gate and leave. No big deal. Why can't all the parks be like this?

Bartledvd

From Disney’s perspective/business perspective, I completely agree. Especially since their are people willing to pay a premium for what was once provided through general admission. However, from a consumer perspective I completely disagree. Paying more for less is not a good proposition for consumers in any industry.

Since this board consists of consumers of the Disney product (I recognize some own stock), I am going to stand with said consumers and state that paid premium special events replacing something I used to enjoy regularly without paying above general admission SUCKS.

For lack of a better word.
I am also with the consumer and hate these extra ticketed events that offer nothing different from general admission other than some cheap refreshments and snacks.

Only MNSSHP and MVMCP offer anything truly different with the parades, fireworks and lights but sadly the crowds are becoming a much bigger issue even at them now.

Who knows maybe we will have a MNSSHP after hours event one day soon.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Premium Member

They can and will.

I was impacted in much the same way on my last trip. 5 days in November and the MK was only open past 6 one night.

It’s the way Disney World operates now. Why bother keeping the park open for regular guests when so many are willing to pay for the upcharges.

Weather_Lady

Simple answer there: stop going in droves at predictable times where they can kick you out and sell upsells for the same stuff on the same days
It would be cool if it were simple, but it isn't. Given DH's and my full-time jobs and our kids' academic and extracurricular commitments, we no longer have the freedom to travel except during school vacations. Plus, my beef is with shortened regular hours - particularly when WDW knows it's going to be crowded and doesn't increase hours to help meet the demand - not with early closings for upcharge events. Those are annoying, but we can still avoid those (e.g., by going during February break).

Sirwalterraleigh

It would be cool if it were simple, but it isn't. Given DH's and my full-time jobs and our kids' academic and extracurricular commitments, we no longer have the freedom to travel except during school vacations. Plus, my beef is with shortened regular hours - particularly when WDW knows it's going to be crowded and doesn't increase hours to help meet the demand - not with early closings for upcharge events. Those are annoying, but we can still avoid those (e.g., by going during February break).
You...me...and everyone else.

Don’t look for favors or values in crowded times

Weather_Lady

You...me...and everyone else.

Don’t look for favors or values in crowded times
I'm not looking for anything special: just the hours I used to get, only a few years ago, at the same times of year and for far less money. While I realize that such things have slowly gone the way of the buffalo, that doesn't mean I can't mourn their passing, or that I'm supposed to pretend I haven't noticed that Disney is giving me less and less.

Last edited:

bryanfze55

I am fine with the parks closing at 10 PM. I don't see any compelling reason for the park to be open past that time. Everyone knows that you can still linger for a good hour after the parks close to wait for traffic to clear. Why is midnight so amazingly more useful than 10 PM. Just go home for christ's sake; and let the CM's do the same.

Look at Epcot; closes at 9 PM. No one cares. No one cries. You watch the fireworks and then you wander back to the gate and leave. No big deal. Why can't all the parks be like this?
😮 😳

I think 10 PM during winter is one thing; during summer when the sun doesn’t even set until 8:30, it kind of stinks to have practically no time to enjoy the park at night. Night is when the park really comes alive with some added energy and aesthetics. I’m sure most CMs wouldn’t mind the extra hours.

Top Bottom