• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

Why is Magic Kingdom closing at 10 PM on Saturdays in August.

NickMaio

We are going 19-26 Oct this year, and granted you can expect that as we get closer to Halloween the MNSSHP pick up in frequency, BUT Disney has gone one step further and have thrown in a PRIVATE CORP EVENT on the evening of the 10/22 closing the part at 6 pm. (speculation on another thread is that its related to an IT conv at the Dolphin.)

So 6 days worth of tickets, and there is only 1 day its open past 6 PM! Sure, we will do the party one night, but this is started to border on insanity. Disney, you are eroding my love (and open wallet) for you with each and every trip - you are really pushing it. I booked my flights on refundable reward points, and still haven't decided to either scrap the whole trip to another date or just spend my vacation dollars somewhere else.

Just a recap of MK hours our week:

SUN: MNSSHP
MON: MNSSHP
TUE: Private EVENT 6 PM Close
WED: Full hours, 9PM Close
THUR: MNSSHP
FRI: MNSSHP

I know some on here argue and point out that there is really no need to be out late, nothing good happens after 10 pm, etc. My fondest memories of Disney World are those earlier year EMH that ran till 2-3 AM. If you want to close earlier to extend 3rd shift maintenance/cleaning by all means - but when I see the same dust bunny day after day in the Space Mountain queue when the park closes at 9/10 PM vs 2/3 AM . . . . . . .
Damn.......that is really crummy for you guys. To stay past 6 you need to pay more.
Not cool WDW......not cool.

NickMaio

I'm leaving tomorrow for WDW. I remember the last trip this time of year 3 years ago. It worked out great because I could sleep in, hang out by the pool until around 2-3pm, hit the parks by 4pm, and then stay until 11pm or later. Still get a full day in at the parks, but do it later in the day/night when the Sun isn't trying to melt you in Florida in August. Back then, there was EMH at night time, too.

Booked my current trip and then the park hours came out months later. Uh, why is everything closing so early? Oh well, nothing I can do about it now, but yeah, it's obvious they are not open "late" anymore. Other than maybe for Mickey's Halloween party? For an extra charge, of course. And seriously, how can anyone do Halloween in the 2nd week of August? 🤷‍♂️
There is something you can do, put in your issue at any customer service location or send an email.
Google email Walt Disney world.
Let them know

NickMaio

We are going 19-26 Oct this year, and granted you can expect that as we get closer to Halloween the MNSSHP pick up in frequency, BUT Disney has gone one step further and have thrown in a PRIVATE CORP EVENT on the evening of the 10/22 closing the part at 6 pm. (speculation on another thread is that its related to an IT conv at the Dolphin.)

So 6 days worth of tickets, and there is only 1 day its open past 6 PM! Sure, we will do the party one night, but this is started to border on insanity. Disney, you are eroding my love (and open wallet) for you with each and every trip - you are really pushing it. I booked my flights on refundable reward points, and still haven't decided to either scrap the whole trip to another date or just spend my vacation dollars somewhere else.

I know some on here argue and point out that there is really no need to be out late, nothing good happens after 10 pm, etc. My fondest memories of Disney World are those earlier year EMH that ran till 2-3 AM. If you want to close earlier to extend 3rd shift maintenance/cleaning by all means - but when I see the same dust bunny day after day in the Space Mountain queue when the park closes at 9/10 PM vs 2/3 AM . . . . . . .
Let WDW know your feelings on the issue.
We also have amazing memories of MK tromping around late at night.
I hope they come back..........

HouCuseChickie

But it seems that even at the height of summer vacations the latest they'll go is 10pm at MK, earlier elsewhere.

I completely understand some people prefer to get up early and be tucked into bed by 8.30, but I honestly don't get why some here seem so angry that other people see higher prices and shorter hours as worse value. Surely that's pretty objectively true, particularly the extreme cases people are mentioning of 6pm closings and almost entire vacations where full priced tickets get you less hours because they want to charge you extra for the evening hours through special events. I also don't know what world you'd have to be living in to think that sleeping in and staying up later on vacation is some sort of perversion.
I was just noting what we'd experienced...and then how it changed. Something I did forget in my original post is that we've seen more early openings since these late hours were cut. Still, I was very upset that the late hours were cut because like you've noted, there's less value in those tickets by hours being cut...drastically, in some case. Unfortunately, I can gripe until I'm blue in the face...but it's not going to change a darn thing. The only thing I can change is where I vacation. That's not to say we don't plan to return to Disney, but I decided to do something real about my anger and invest my vacation $ in other destinations for a while. My upcoming runDisney trip will end a 2+ yr Disney break for me and if all goes as currently planned, it'll be at least a 3.5 yr Disney break for my family.

bryanfze55

Nonsense. It’s $84.99 when purchased online. And it’s $170 for an annual pass.
Are we talking about the SoCal or Orlando one? I was looking to add a day at Legoland during our Disneyland vacation this winter and saw it started at $95 per ticket for an adult. And in Florida, theme park tickets are taxed so I’m assuming that $85 would be close to $100 after taxes and fees. The AP is a great deal if you’re local, though. But it’s not a very good value as a one day park.

bryanfze55

Go to Disneyland. That park never closes early... ever. I switched my December vacation from WDW to DL primarily because of the endless upcharge Christmas parties.

NickMaio

I was just noting what we'd experienced...and then how it changed. Something I did forget in my original post is that we've seen more early openings since these late hours were cut. Still, I was very upset that the late hours were cut because like you've noted, there's less value in those tickets by hours being cut...drastically, in some case. Unfortunately, I can gripe until I'm blue in the face...but it's not going to change a darn thing. The only thing I can change is where I vacation. That's not to say we don't plan to return to Disney, but I decided to do something real about my anger and invest my vacation $ in other destinations for a while. My upcoming runDisney trip will end a 2+ yr Disney break for me and if all goes as currently planned, it'll be at least a 3.5 yr Disney break for my family.
Let WDW know.....please.

Sir_Cliff

I've done the same. My last vacation to WDW was during a busy early August 2017 when MK never stayed open beyond 9pm. Really left a bad taste in my mouth and, right now, I have no real desire to drop the thousands it would cost to go back.

jprieur

I know when we went Aug 2011 (14-18), 12-1am seemed to be the norm for MK closing and 3am seemed to be the norm for MK evening EMH to end. We saw much earlier closing hours on subsequent summer trips. That being said, my friends in GA and AL went back to school a week or two ago and my kids started school this week, so a number of areas are already past summer vacation.
My last 3 am EMH night in the MK was a random October night - it was during value season for room rates. It didn't used to only be confined to just the busy times.

Go to Disneyland. That park never closes early... ever. I switched my December vacation from WDW to DL primarily because of the endless upcharge Christmas parties.
Have been and thought about it multiple times - love the park itself, just miss the bubble that WDW provides. Disneyland is a fun trip for me, it just doesn't feel like a vacation/getaway.

Last edited:
Top Bottom