• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

Why is Magic Kingdom closing at 10 PM on Saturdays in August.

Kingoglow

I don't see any valid reason to have the parks open past 10 PM. Nothing good ever comes from being out that late.

Just go to bed and wake up for rope drop.

Disstevefan1

No......it's ridiculous.....
Just because it has been a common WDW theme does not make it ok.
Let's open a massive 14 acre expansion and close the worlds most attended theme park at 10.
I agree, when WDW closes early we are in fact getting less value for our cost of entry! The ticket prices go up and the hours of operation gets cut, and on top of that more and more hard ticket after hours events appear so we can pay twice to enter the same park on the same day!

Why does Disney do this? Because they can! Folks just keep coming.
Will there be a breaking point? Only time will tell

bryanfze55

I agree, when WDW closes early we are in fact getting less value for our cost of entry! The ticket prices go up and the hours of operation gets cut, and on top of that more and more hard ticket after hours events appear so we can pay twice to enter the same park on the same day!

Why does Disney do this? Because they can! Folks just keep coming.
Will there be a breaking point? Only time will tell
Legoland is $100/ticket and closes at 5 PM most days.

bryanfze55

...and I've never been there, even though it's less than an hour away. Coincidence? 🤔

It's also a kiddie park - like, really just for young kids - more so than even Sesame Place is. Close at 5pm, eat dinner and then it's bedtime. Nobody's painting the town red at night.
The point is, Disney isn’t doing anything “wrong” just because they aren’t open as late as some diehard fans want. They’re really just following the trend in the entire theme park industry. All theme parks close earlier than they used to. The Six Flags near me closes at 7 PM some week nights during the summer. 7 PM! Disney isn’t some evil outlier here.

Disney used to be a proactive company rather than a reactive company. There was a time where they went above and beyond to stand out from their competition. That’s no longer the case, but that’s really just the times we live in. Publicly traded companies have to answer to shareholders, who really only want to see expense cuts and more expense cuts. Bob Chapek was put where he is to cut expenses at the parks. Closing earlier is a trend that the entire industry has followed, so that’s been an easy target for Chapek. There’s no more industry leadership from Disney. They just follow the trends.

Dead2009

And that’s the danger. That Disney is becoming more and more like any regional average theme park.
It's dangerous because Disney doesnt want a crowded park at 10 PM at night? Lol okay.

I hate to see the reactions of people who cry about closings when Disney has to close a park at 3 in the afternoon due to capacity issues.

bugsbunny

I'm leaving tomorrow for WDW. I remember the last trip this time of year 3 years ago. It worked out great because I could sleep in, hang out by the pool until around 2-3pm, hit the parks by 4pm, and then stay until 11pm or later. Still get a full day in at the parks, but do it later in the day/night when the Sun isn't trying to melt you in Florida in August. Back then, there was EMH at night time, too.

Booked my current trip and then the park hours came out months later. Uh, why is everything closing so early? Oh well, nothing I can do about it now, but yeah, it's obvious they are not open "late" anymore. Other than maybe for Mickey's Halloween party? For an extra charge, of course. And seriously, how can anyone do Halloween in the 2nd week of August? 🤷‍♂️

jprieur

We are going 19-26 Oct this year, and granted you can expect that as we get closer to Halloween the MNSSHP pick up in frequency, BUT Disney has gone one step further and have thrown in a PRIVATE CORP EVENT on the evening of the 10/22 closing the part at 6 pm. (speculation on another thread is that its related to an IT conv at the Dolphin.)

So 6 days worth of tickets, and there is only 1 day its open past 6 PM! Sure, we will do the party one night, but this is started to border on insanity. Disney, you are eroding my love (and open wallet) for you with each and every trip - you are really pushing it. I booked my flights on refundable reward points, and still haven't decided to either scrap the whole trip to another date or just spend my vacation dollars somewhere else.

Just a recap of MK hours our week:

SUN: MNSSHP
MON: MNSSHP
TUE: Private EVENT 6 PM Close
WED: Full hours, 9PM Close
THUR: MNSSHP
FRI: MNSSHP

I know some on here argue and point out that there is really no need to be out late, nothing good happens after 10 pm, etc. My fondest memories of Disney World are those earlier year EMH that ran till 2-3 AM. If you want to close earlier to extend 3rd shift maintenance/cleaning by all means - but when I see the same dust bunny day after day in the Space Mountain queue when the park closes at 9/10 PM vs 2/3 AM . . . . . . .

HouCuseChickie

I know when we went Aug 2011 (14-18), 12-1am seemed to be the norm for MK closing and 3am seemed to be the norm for MK evening EMH to end. We saw much earlier closing hours on subsequent summer trips. That being said, my friends in GA and AL went back to school a week or two ago and my kids started school this week, so a number of areas are already past summer vacation.

Sir_Cliff

I know when we went Aug 2011 (14-18), 12-1am seemed to be the norm for MK closing and 3am seemed to be the norm for MK evening EMH to end. We saw much earlier closing hours on subsequent summer trips. That being said, my friends in GA and AL went back to school a week or two ago and my kids started school this week, so a number of areas are already past summer vacation.
But it seems that even at the height of summer vacations the latest they'll go is 10pm at MK, earlier elsewhere.

I completely understand some people prefer to get up early and be tucked into bed by 8.30, but I honestly don't get why some here seem so angry that other people see higher prices and shorter hours as worse value. Surely that's pretty objectively true, particularly the extreme cases people are mentioning of 6pm closings and almost entire vacations where full priced tickets get you less hours because they want to charge you extra for the evening hours through special events. I also don't know what world you'd have to be living in to think that sleeping in and staying up later on vacation is some sort of perversion.

Pooh.sHoneyHuntTDL

Original Poster
We are going 19-26 Oct this year, and granted you can expect that as we get closer to Halloween the MNSSHP pick up in frequency, BUT Disney has gone one step further and have thrown in a PRIVATE CORP EVENT on the evening of the 10/22 closing the part at 6 pm. (speculation on another thread is that its related to an IT conv at the Dolphin.)

So 6 days worth of tickets, and there is only 1 day its open past 6 PM! Sure, we will do the party one night, but this is started to border on insanity. Disney, you are eroding my love (and open wallet) for you with each and every trip - you are really pushing it. I booked my flights on refundable reward points, and still haven't decided to either scrap the whole trip to another date or just spend my vacation dollars somewhere else.

Just a recap of MK hours our week:

SUN: MNSSHP
MON: MNSSHP
TUE: Private EVENT 6 PM Close
WED: Full hours, 9PM Close
THUR: MNSSHP
FRI: MNSSHP

I know some on here argue and point out that there is really no need to be out late, nothing good happens after 10 pm, etc. My fondest memories of Disney World are those earlier year EMH that ran till 2-3 AM. If you want to close earlier to extend 3rd shift maintenance/cleaning by all means - but when I see the same dust bunny day after day in the Space Mountain queue when the park closes at 9/10 PM vs 2/3 AM . . . . . . .
Hard to believe there was actually a time when that happened. Seems like Disney heaven.

Top Bottom