• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

Why is Magic Kingdom closing at 10 PM on Saturdays in August.

Weather_Lady

If you think that's bad (and I agree that it is), so far they're also scheduling 8pm and 9pm closings for the entire Presidents' Day week in February 2020 (with EMH few and far between, and some days none at all) -- you know, a week when tens of thousands of schools in the northeast will have a vacation, and so many of us will be at WDW that it's not uncommon for folks to run into a dozen people they know from home while they elbow their way through the parks. I knew it was a bad week to go (we have no choice these days, given the kids' schedules), but seeing the hours cut shorter even than last year makes me want to bang my head against a wall. Last year they were open until at least 9pm during this week and the lines were reportedly insane every minute of every day. Clearly WDW was not in the mood to learn anything from that.

Last edited:

Queen of the WDW Screne

If you think that's bad (and it is), so far they're scheduling 8pm and 9pm closings for the entire Presidents' Day week in February 2020 (with EMH few and far between, and some days none at all) -- you know, a week when tens of thousands of schools in the northeast will have a vacation, and so many of us will be at WDW that it's not uncommon for folks to run into a dozen people they know from home while in the parks! I want to bang my head against a wall. Last year they were open until at least 9pm during this week and the lines were reportedly insane every minute of every day. Clearly WDW was not in the mood to learn anything from that.
Disney extends and updates hours about 6 weeks prior.

Queen of the WDW Screne

I hope they will, but last year they didn't (for President's Day week) except at the MK, despite several days with crowd levels of 9-10 out of 10 in all 4 parks (by touringplans' reckoning). If nothing else, I have some forewarning to manage my expectations. ;)
Honestly I wouldn't expect the other parks to extend their hours by much.
MAYBE now with SWGE they'll extend HS a bit.
I don't like crowd calendars so I wouldn't trust what they said it was or will be.
Heck we don't even have Disney's official hours for that week out yet only 3rd party websites that only make estimates.

HoldenC

I agree its pathetic. The Magic Kingdom should never close before midnight during the summer, period! A 10 pm close should be the minimum during the not-so-off seasons. How I miss the days, as recently as 2016 (I believe) where we could stay in the park until 1:00 am without EMH, those are a long gone luxury.

Queen of the WDW Screne

I agree its pathetic. The Magic Kingdom should never close before midnight during the summer, period! A 10 pm close should be the minimum during the not-so-off seasons. How I miss the days, as recently as 2016 (I believe) where we could stay in the park until 1:00 am without EMH, those are a long gone luxury.
From looking back you have to go further back than that.
Park hours for MK for August 2016 mostly seem to be 10pm and maybe extended to 11pm.
I recall those days you are speaking of but it was back in 2010 and even then MK was open until 12am but with EMH was open until 3am.
They stopped the 3 hour PM EMH in 2012 I believe.

jloucks

Ridiculous
Because, overall, it somehow saves WDW money?

Actually, I am quite certain of it.

Loosely related: Reminds me of the day Six Flags kicked everybody out because it was drizzling. Yep, everybody got the boot half way through the day. There was not enough people coming in to buy enough stuff to pay for the staff.

NickMaio

Um because.... it just is.
Its not "ridiculous" its just how its been lately.
Starting the 29th it will be opening earlier in the morning than usual so there's that going for it.
No......it's ridiculous.....
Just because it has been a common WDW theme does not make it ok.
Let's open a massive 14 acre expansion and close the worlds most attended theme park at 10.

Pooh.sHoneyHuntTDL

Original Poster
Because, overall, it somehow saves WDW money?

Actually, I am quite certain of it.

Loosely related: Reminds me of the day Six Flags kicked everybody out because it was drizzling. Yep, everybody got the boot half way through the day. There was not enough people coming in to buy enough stuff to pay for the staff.
And that’s the danger. That Disney is becoming more and more like any regional average theme park.

Queen of the WDW Screne

No......it's ridiculous.....
Just because it has been a common WDW theme does not make it ok.
Let's open a massive 14 acre expansion and close the worlds most attended theme park at 10.
As I pointed out all parks are having extended hours simply due to SWGE opening so....
If people don't like it then speak with your wallet.

Top Bottom