Why i'm OK with this Guardians of the Galaxy Makeover

Stevek

Still not sure how Marvel Land, even with Disney's "stretch" of an explanation, fits in DCA and I don't see them getting rid of Frozen live anytime soon. I personally think Disney won't care if there is this Marvel section with the Hyperion sticking out like a sore thumb.

dweezil78

Still not sure how Marvel Land, even with Disney's "stretch" of an explanation, fits in DCA and I don't see them getting rid of Frozen live anytime soon. I personally think Disney won't care if there is this Marvel section with the Hyperion sticking out like a sore thumb.

The funny thing is so many people think the idea of having a California-themed park in California is among the dumbest ideas ever -- yet everyone gets all bent out of shape when they do anything that deviates from that very loose "story" or whatever you want to call it. I really don't have an issue with putting Marvel in DCA -- let 'em run wild on that side of the esplanade. I just think they're wrong to do it in pieces and as much as it'd bum me out to lose ToT, I'd rather see them just tear the thing down and build an all-new experience then try and cram some weird Marvel thing in there.

VJ

How DARE you, sir.

How DARE you that you think it's okay to RUIN Walt Disney's hallowed ground, that he spent 60 YEARS to build and perfect. How dare you act complicit in this most egregious form of vandalism the world has ever seen. I just can't believe you.

I'm placing you on ignore right this instant because I can't stand to read your disgusting acceptance of this filth any longer.

[/s, if it wasn't obvious already]

Stevek

The funny thing is so many people think the idea of having a California-themed park in California is among the dumbest ideas ever -- yet everyone gets all bent out of shape when they do anything that deviates from that very loose "story" or whatever you want to call it. I really don't have an issue with putting Marvel in DCA -- let 'em run wild on that side of the esplanade. I just think they're wrong to do it in pieces and as much as it'd bum me out to lose ToT, I'd rather see them just tear the thing down and build an all-new experience then try and cram some weird Marvel thing in there.
Yep, 2 different arguments. The CA theme is still considered a very odd choice by many but now that they've tried to make it more CA centric, it seems even more odd to now go against that theme.

George Lucas on a Bench

It's not really about Marvel being in DCA. It's about Disney replacing an existing popular attraction with a completely different overlay/redo.

There are plenty of attractions that can be removed and replaced and they choose a good one. An E ticket at that.

yookeroo

How DARE you, sir.

How DARE you that you think it's okay to RUIN Walt Disney's hallowed ground, that he spent 60 YEARS to build and perfect. How dare you act complicit in this most egregious form of vandalism the world has ever seen. I just can't believe you.

I'm placing you on ignore right this instant because I can't stand to read your disgusting acceptance of this filth any longer.

[/s, if it wasn't obvious already]

There's some version of Poe's Law at work.

Pam Hates Penguins

Once it comes, you are going to have second thoughts. Believe me.
Everyone will look at it thinking, "This used to be such a great classic attraction about the Twilight Zone, and now we have this steam punk tower that has nothing to do with what this theme park is supposed to be all about." CALIFORNIA

Change can be good. The point I'm trying to make is that it's not about the ride changing. It's the atmosphere of it all I'm more worried about. Does this look California?

guardians-of-the-galaxy-tower-of-terror[1].jpg

One other thing is, this is the tallest building in Anaheim will be this. Steam punkish tower....

Last edited:

TP2000

Looks good to me! I have no idea what these Guardians movies are about, other than there's a talking raccoon, but I'm open to the change.

That steampunk tower has about as much to do with California as a fake mountain with a grizzly bear head on it (real mountains don't have that feature, in any state), or a giant Coney Island Ferris Wheel with Mickey Mouse smiling down at you, or an entire land with 4 rides and a theater show based on Pixar's least succesful movie, A Bug's Life.

Aside from the two streetscapes done to varying degrees of success (Buena Vista Street = Excellent, Hollywood Blvd. = Pretty Good) there's not much in DCA that is truly exclusive to California or based on reality. DCA is all just sort of a mish-mash of themes and stories, kind of like Disneyland.

Last edited:

Curious Constance

Why do I keep hearing about this building being the tallest in Anaheim and this is how it's going to look!?

How is that an argument?

Is it a source of pride and inspiration for the city right now or something?

It's not as if it's a historic landmark. It's a theme park attraction that was built in 2004. It's being rethemed from a television show to a movie.

D

Deleted member 107043

I think I'd be more concerned about this if Disney didn't hint that there's another big announcement still to come.

GiveMeTheMusic

Why do I keep hearing about this building being the tallest in Anaheim and this is how it's going to look!?

How is that an argument?

Is it a source of pride and inspiration for the city right now or something?

It's not as if it's a historic landmark. It's a theme park attraction that was built in 2004. It's being rethemed from a television show to a movie.

It's also not an attractive building now. The backside that faces out to Anaheim is certainly nothing anyone would crow about, and the front side purposefully looks like it was destroyed by lightning. In a real city and not a theme park, it would be referred to as urban blight.

Magenta Panther

It's not really about Marvel being in DCA. It's about Disney replacing an existing popular attraction with a completely different overlay/redo.

There are plenty of attractions that can be removed and replaced and they choose a good one. An E ticket at that.

Precisely. DCA's Tower may not be as stellar as WDW's, but it's still a very good ride, and replacing a very good ride just to put in a purchased IP version is just stupid and cheap and lazy. If DCA has to have Marvel crap in it, then TDA should build a whole new ride. That'd give the area a new attraction, more capacity, more reasons for people to visit the park. Duh!

Phroobar

Remember when it first opened the PR department said people have been calling to book reservations in the Hollywood Tower Hotel. Who would want to stay there?

D

Deleted member 107043

DCA's Tower may not be as stellar as WDW's, but it's still a very good ride, and replacing a very good ride just to put in a purchased IP version is just stupid and cheap and lazy.

Isn't the ride going to be pretty much the same (an elevator drop), just with a different storyline and random ascent/decent profiles? Hasn't Disney been paying licencing fees for decades to CBS Television to use IP from the Twilight Zone series for the attraction's story? How is using someone else's IP better than using Disney owned IP?

Disneyhead'71

Isn't the ride going to be pretty much the same (an elevator drop), just with a different storyline and random ascent/decent profiles? Hasn't Disney been paying licencing fees for decades to CBS Television to use IP from the Twilight Zone series for the attraction's story? How is using someone else's IP better than using Disney owned IP?
Oh, IDK, except that the attraction was specifically designed around the TZ IP. But I guess any IP would do. I wish they would turn ToT into a really cool Ben Hur attraction. Or maybe a Titanic attraction. They LOVE Jimmy C.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom